Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What on earth is going with AF + Award Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What on earth is going with AF + Award Travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Agreed, but I was more thinking of upgrade awards.
You're still paying twice for the upgrades unless you decide to roll the dice and hope for free domestic upgrades from DL.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You're still paying twice for the upgrades unless you decide to roll the dice and hope for free domestic upgrades from DL.
I ain't wasting miles to upgrade to domestic "fake" F.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
1) Open a FlyingBlue account. 2) Populate account with miles. 3) Book your award with those miles.
Well do you have pain booking on DL metal with FB miles?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
This all seems to fall back on Delta. This is ALL OF DELTA'S FAULT. PERIOD.

As a member of the Delta FFP and with Diamond status, the sight of low award tickets is very difficult, even more so when booking online...I can see why KL/AF/CI are blocking Delta FFP members from getting Biz Class awards.

If we cannot get low award buckets in the Delta FFP, how could other members of CI/AF/KL get low award seats on Delta...? Delta just needs to fix its crappy system already and start releasing low awards seats appropriately.

Mean while I just booked another ticket last night on AA .

As EXP, I sat in coach on one flight, was given food from up front, was thanked for my business, which was then followed by snacks later on during the flight. It nudged me the right way, to get me to fly AA even more.

The only reason I'll be flying Delta for the rest of this year is, A. Booked tickets already. B. I have a few vouchers I will gladly burn for a weekend getaway.

Last edited by krpjr; Oct 2, 2012 at 10:36 pm
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krpjr
This all seems to fall back on Delta. This is ALL OF DELTA'S FAULT. PERIOD.

As a member of the Delta FFP and with Diamond status, the sight of low award tickets is very difficult, even more so when booking online...I can see why KL/AF/CI are blocking Delta FFP members from getting Biz Class awards.

If we cannot get low award buckets in the Delta FFP, how could other members of CI/AF/KL get low award seats on Delta...? Delta just needs to fix its crappy system already and start releasing low awards seats appropriately.

Mean while I just booked another ticket last night on AA .

As EXP, I sat in coach on one flight, was given food from up front, was thanked for my business, which was then followed by snacks later on during the flight. It nudged me the right way, to get me to fly AA even more.

The only reason I'll be flying Delta for the rest of this year is, A. Booked tickets already. B. I have a few vouchers I will gladly burn for a weekend getaway.

Agreed. Delta's FFP is just complete useless crap at this point. They offered me a ticket from CDG-LAX via ATL for 350k miles - I laughed and hung up the phone.

There is zero availability on any AF/KLM flights from Europe while FB shows dozens of seats on multiple days. AF isn't releasing them because DL isn't releasing seats to AF/KLM FB members. It's a lose-lose and we are the ones losing.

I just realized I can transfer AMEX MR to AF FB and book 50k O rewards that way. Easy, always availability, screw Delta.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
This is utterly sad and hopeless. The one good use of Skypesos for partner international travel is being taken out, not because there aren't any seats left, but because retaliation by partners due to DL's poor redemption for everyone.

DL should just come out and say it: They just want to collect the money, and charge a ridiculous rate of exchange for those award tickets.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by UA vs NW
This is actually something I have been wondering - if it is quite painful or hard for Delta's own members (even platinum, diamond) to find available award seats at low level (coach or BE) on Delta, I can just imagine that it will almost be impossible for DL's partner airlines to get any award seats on DL's metal (save for flights like BOS-LGA,LGA-DCA) since the available award seats to partner airlines must be at low level, except that DL release some special inventory to partner airlines which are not to DL's own members (which I highly doubt).

So if you are the other airlines, how do you feel? Will you take some reasonable actions, as a protest or at least expression of unhappiness to DL? Maybe that is why AF and KL just started doing now, maybe that is why China Eastern has eliminated all business class award seats inventory to DL on LAX-PVG and JFK-PVG route. It sounds like a fair action to me.
I have been warning others of this outcome for well over a year. Redeeming partner miles on Delta is nearly impossible, especially if the city pair requires a connection. Every Flying Blue redemption that I have made since since 2010 has forced me to fly to a gateway city on a revenue ticket to connect to a SkyTeam partner (not Delta). One can occasionally see 1-2 seats available for off-peak transatlantic flights on Delta, but if a domestic flight is desired, forget about it.

I've actually noticed better award availability on Flying Blue in the last few months, possibly due to this spat with DL. Although I do hope that this gets resolved to the satisfaction of all parties, I am glad that SkyMiles members are not eating such a large chunk of AF/KL inventory. While I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate the service that I receive on a frequent basis from Delta, I have no doubt in my mind that I made the right decision in giving up on SkyMiles in favor of AS/AF.

Last edited by akonradi; Oct 2, 2012 at 11:54 pm
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
So Sky team is . in reality, no team.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by NE flier
The situation is not that much better in star alliance. lufthansa, swiss and sq all provide greater award availability to their own members than ua. This is particularly true for lx and sq. Lh c class is often available for awards but f is.available close in if at all.
Except there is a big difference... we don't get any better award availability as members in Delta's system. Its crap for us, crap for others, and now we can't redeem on partners either. Sounds to me like the so-called ST alliance is falling apart.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hazelrah
So Sky team is . in reality, no team.
Skyteam RTW awards are out-the-door as well if you cannot redeem Skymiles on partners.

I see the DL webpage still has not been updated. I think it is bordering on fraud to claim something that isn't true. Maybe a lawyer can chime in.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
I see the DL webpage still has not been updated. I think it is bordering on fraud to claim something that isn't true. Maybe a lawyer can chime in.
That's pretty much true of everything about the marketing of the SkyMiles program these days. Advertising increased upgrades when anyone on FT could tell you that they are actually decreasing, marketing free flights at 25k when those are never available, saying that they will make "common sense" exceptions to the rules in favor of customers, when that actually never happens...

Most on this forum are loyal to DL and want to see them do well... Just not at our expense while we are being lied to by the marketing department.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant
Taking a quick look at two of DL's busiest routes with partners KL/AF and one of UAs busiest routes with LH, using one way examples and wanting to fly today.

IAD-FRA: Y at 30k on all N/S UA or LH
C at 50k on 3 of 5 N/S flights UA or LH
F at 67.5k on 4 of 5 N/S flights UA or LH

JFK-CDG: Y on DL N/S at 95k or 60k thru AMS, nothing on AF
C on DL N/S at 325k or 245k thru AMS, nothing on AF

JFK-AMS: Y on DL or KL N/S at 60k
C on DL N/S at 200k, nothing on KL

Not even a close comparison.

Last edited by jetta2.0t; Oct 3, 2012 at 10:10 am
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jetta2.0t
Taking a quick look at two of DL's busiest routes with partners KL/AF and one of UAs busiest routes with LH, using one way examples and wanting to fly today.

The worst part is that there are 5 non stops on AF
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jetta2.0t

AF681 ATL-CDG and AF345 YUL-CDG are available today.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant
AF681 ATL-CDG and AF345 YUL-CDG are available today.
Unless someone just grabbed them in the last few minutes, no, they are not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.