Wiki Posts
Search

Int'l SDC?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Hyatt; Platinum DL, AA, SPG; Gold UA
Int'l SDC?

Anyone aware of rules limiting SDC's for int'l award trips?

I'm taking an RTW award trip w my fiancé for our honeymoon. Few months out still.

Got our segments mostly together, but the first one (ORD-NRT) is separate (she's thru MSP; I'm thru DTW, both O class). Hoping another BE "low" award opens on MSP or DTW turns so one of us can hop to the other flight and we can travel together.

If that doesn't work, what are the odds (or limitations) of getting an SDC over to the MSP-NRT flight in BE on the same day? (I'm plat and currently routed thru DTW).... Thoughts?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:33 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mcavin
If that doesn't work, what are the odds (or limitations) of getting an SDC over to the MSP-NRT flight in BE on the same day? (I'm plat and currently routed thru DTW).... Thoughts?
It'll never happen. Rules state no SDC on any itineraries with int'l segments. Usually, you can SDC to a different domestic connection AFTER your int'l flights have all been flown, but I was even turned down on a PIT/ATL/MEX trip to SDC to a different PIT/ATL!!!!! So, don't hold your breath!

edited to add . . . . .

Oh yeah . . . . CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Last edited by davetravels; Oct 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Ugh. Thanks. We only land 5 min apart in NRT... So I've just got to convince her that it's OK for us to take separate flights on our h'moon!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Ugh. Thanks. We only land 5 min apart in NRT... So I've just got to convince her that it's OK for us to take separate flights on our h'moon!
Well, you'll just hafto join the Mile High Club on a later segment!!!

. . . . . . unless you already have!!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'd hope that a good check-in agent, space available, would switch the two of you to one flight.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I'd hope that a good check-in agent, space available, would switch the two of you to one flight.
Sorry, but unless there are IROPs or one of the couple manages a VDB to the other's flight, it's not going to happen. Doing so would require reissuing the ticket, for starters.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:10 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
OP, what is the duration of your RTW trip? I'm thinking about doing one but I'm pressed for time usually. I can't see doing one in less than 3 weeks.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:12 am

Anyone aware of rules limiting SDC's for int'l award trips?
I'm taking an RTW award trip w my fiancé for our honeymoon. Few months out still.
Got our segments mostly together, but the first one (ORD-NRT) is separate (she's thru MSP; I'm thru DTW, both O class). Hoping another BE "low" award opens on MSP or DTW turns so one of us can hop to the other flight and we can travel together.
SDC on intl isn't going to happen unless you've completed all intl segments (and hence you're not really intl anymore )

I've gotta believe you can find an agent who'll make the switch if the flight you want isn't completely overbooked. Take a photocopy of your marriage certificate for emphasis.
The one snag that may be tough though, is that station agents can easily play god with their flights, but not others. So it may be easy to get you both to MSP or DTW, but then getting you on the following connection will require a phone call (my guess).

Congrats!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:40 am

Programs: SkyMiles Diamond, TK Elite, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Rules are rules, BUT sometimes agents make exception. I was on BOS-JFK-PRG itinerary, both Delta flights. Arrived to airport earlier, checked in, went to gate and saw that there is earlier flight. Ask GA politely if it's possible to switch to this flight and she said that she will make an exception. Even when I had checked baggage (I described baggage and they switched it to earlier flight).
Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by xmurphy
Rules are rules, BUT sometimes agents make exception. I was on BOS-JFK-PRG itinerary, both Delta flights.
I think this is the major key with the OP's story. The OP and his fiancé are starting out on a RTW trip, and doesn't mention how many cities, segments, or other-than-Delta carriers are involved. I, personally, don't know how complicated it is to reissue a ticket, but, I think an airport agent will take one look at this itinerary and just give 'em the old KL line . . . .

"Sorry, sir, but that is not possible."
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: DL DM, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by yohanson
OP, what is the duration of your RTW trip? I'm thinking about doing one but I'm pressed for time usually. I can't see doing one in less than 3 weeks.

I am doing one in April (like the OP for my honeymoon with my fiance, but we are on all the same flights ). We are doing it in 3 weeks. It should be ok, being in J, would not do it in Y.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
In my experience, the rules of SDC go out the window when you're at the gate and it is close enough to departure time for the gate agent to know whether or not it will be a full flight.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by lsumegan
In my experience, the rules of SDC go out the window when you're at the gate and it is close enough to departure time for the gate agent to know whether or not it will be a full flight.
Perhaps, but in the case of the OP - - one pax is flying ORD/MSP/NRT and the other ORD/DTW/NRT, someone at ORD will be asked to make a decision as to how full, either a MSP/NRT flight is, or a DTW/NRT, several hours later. They may not have the authority to do that.

edited to add . . . .

I HAVE read a few stories here, where unusual exceptions have been made for honeymooners!!

Last edited by davetravels; Oct 2, 2012 at 12:43 pm
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by davetravels
Perhaps, but in the case of the OP - - one pax is flying ORD/MSP/NRT and the other ORD/DTW/NRT, someone at ORD will be asked to make a decision as to how full, either a MSP/NRT flight is, or a DTW/NRT, several hours later. They may not have the authority to do that.
Ah, good point. That's probably not going to happen. But I would definitely play the "honeymoon" card a la Friends.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. We'll see. Fingers crossed that one of them opens up a low award before then.

@yohanson, I'm doing 4 weeks.... 5 stops... And inserting UA miles to create some direct flights where segments don't line up in the right way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.