DL should take notes from KLM

Old Sep 30, 12, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
What domestic service?

All KLM flights are de facto international, you know.
D'oh you caught me! I'm going to pretend like I consider intra-EU domestic and thats what i meant!

Originally Posted by Bagels View Post
As long as USA-based passengers favor price over service, complimentary meal service will not return. IMO, DL's snack and beverage service is perfectly adequate for most flights.

And like DL, or most any other airline for that matter, KLM's service is hit or miss. I've flown the airline extensively and have had some really miserable crews.
Ok sorry, let me rephrase....I do prefer DL's hard product but KLM's soft product I guess you could call it I was highly impressed with. The attentiveness of the FA's was just awesome.
Old Sep 30, 12, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
DL should take notes from KLM

Be careful though, on most flights it's only ONE small bag of sweet or salty snack. Sandwiches are only on longer flights intra-EU or early morning flights.
Old Sep 30, 12, 2:05 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
As a STE+ member (GM and above), I'm pretty sure that AF/KL can only see your ST status - - not specifically GM, PM, or DM. Even if they could see it, it really wouldn't make a difference, I don't think. When I last flew AF from TXL/CDG in August, the check-in agent saw my STE+ status and said - - - "What are you, GOLD, or something?" I very nicely informed her (in a very non-DYKWIA fashion) that Diamond is 2 steps above Gold!
AF/KL FA's can see your status from DL. Flew KL AMS - WAW back in January. No one was in their first class cabin. Mid flight FA greeted and thanked me for Elite status as PM and another pax to coming to the front to have a whole row. Same sandwich was served as coach of course.

Side note, I cannot stand the taste of those sandwiches. Gross texture of bread and usually bleeding cold. The darker wheat one is just atrocious. If DL ever served those, oh gosh.
Old Sep 30, 12, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Fly KLM fairly regularly (3 times per year minimum)- next flight is Oct 9th. I do regular TATLs and sometimes the best deal/most covenient is via AMS. Oct 9-15th it is MCI-MSP-AMS-MAN-ATL-MCI. Anyway, I think KLM are OK but IMHO,the DL domestic product is better. Schipol is a great interchange airport though.
Old Sep 30, 12, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by ianturner View Post
Flew 2 legs of KLM domestic the other day and it was outstanding. Each flight was under 2 hours, they served sandwiches in coach, FAs were super friendly. The purser on the second flight came up to my seat multiple times in the back and asked me by name if I needed anything extra or anything else.....and I'm only a PM on DL......Their domestic service was leaps and bounds better than DL's.
...like every single carrier I have ever flown (I dont fly low cost carriers) in Europe, the Middle East, Asia (China/Japan/Korea). Its a domestic US carrier problem, not a DL problem. Atrocious.
Old Sep 30, 12, 5:26 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye View Post
AF/KL FA's can see your status from DL. Flew KL AMS - WAW back in January. No one was in their first class cabin.
That's because KL doesn't have FC.
Old Sep 30, 12, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Sabai View Post
That's because KL doesn't have FC.
..and honestly (as is typical among most EU carriers) doesnt really have J in Europe either.
Old Sep 30, 12, 7:05 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by DLATL777 View Post
..and honestly (as is typical among most EU carriers) doesnt really have J in Europe either.
If you consider the typical intra-EU routings that would be J-heavy, it's not exactly necessary.
Old Oct 1, 12, 1:57 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
As a STE+ member (GM and above), I'm pretty sure that AF/KL can only see your ST status - - not specifically GM, PM, or DM. Even if they could see it, it really wouldn't make a difference, I don't think. When I last flew AF from TXL/CDG in August, the check-in agent saw my STE+ status and said - - - "What are you, GOLD, or something?" I very nicely informed her (in a very non-DYKWIA fashion) that Diamond is 2 steps above Gold!
They can. As usually every 2/3 flights somethings goes wrong flying as a DL medaillon member on a KL flight and three weeks ago, out of curiousity and to compare it with manifests from other airlines, i asked a purser to show me the manifest to see what KLM exactly knows about me and it's all there...FF program and the exact medaillon level.

Although, as recently as august 2012, in some ICT systems from KLM i was still a WorldPerks Gold/Plat Elite
Old Oct 1, 12, 2:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
They can. As usually every 2/3 flights somethings goes wrong flying as a DL medaillon member on a KL flight and three weeks ago, out of curiousity and to compare it with manifests from other airlines, i asked a purser to show me the manifest to see what KLM exactly knows about me and it's all there...FF program and the exact medaillon level.

Although, as recently as august 2012, in some ICT systems from KLM i was still a WorldPerks Gold/Plat Elite
Welcome to FT.
Old Oct 1, 12, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye View Post
AF/KL FA's can see your status from DL. Flew KL AMS - WAW back in January. No one was in their first class cabin. Mid flight FA greeted and thanked me for Elite status as PM and another pax to coming to the front to have a whole row. Same sandwich was served as coach of course.

Side note, I cannot stand the taste of those sandwiches. Gross texture of bread and usually bleeding cold. The darker wheat one is just atrocious. If DL ever served those, oh gosh.
+1 to this. It has happened to me quite a few times AMS-OSL.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: