Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DELTA AMEX Companion ticket and canceling card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:59 am
Original Poster

I downgraded to the Skymiles Options card but my companion ticket still shows in my profile. Am I able to still use this even thoughI no longer have the gold AMEX? Would it work if I used my spouses Platinum Delta AMEX to purchase the ticket/companion ticket? Does anyone have any experience with canceling card completely and still being able to use companion certificate?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Redeemed
I downgraded to the Skymiles Options card but my companion ticket still shows in my profile. Am I able to still use this even thoughI no longer have the gold AMEX? Would it work if I used my spouses Platinum Delta AMEX to purchase the ticket/companion ticket? Does anyone have any experience with canceling card completely and still being able to use companion certificate?
It will work fine. I have allowed friends to use a companion ticket and pay with their credit card.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: DL, HHonors
I believe the terms of the certificate state that you must pay with your Delta Amex in order to use the certificate. I have several credit cards saved under my profile but when I pull up the certificate, only the Delta Amex is usable.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
I had two of these this year after I cancelled my card. I gave them both to a trusted friend along with my Delta login information. She flew two trans-cons with her boyfriend for weddings. Looks like it worked fine.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
I could use a little advise. I am planning to cancel my AMEX Delta reserve business card in a few weeks when the membership year ends, because I am no longer interested in the Sky Club. I will likely pick up the Delta AMEX personal platinum.

I was wondering about the companion cert...is it possible to get the cert, then (soon after) cancel the card, and use it with the other card later? The above indicates you can use it after cancelling, but my question is about the timing...can I do this in a timely enough fashion to get most or all of the next year's annual fee refunded? Or is it truly a benny for renewing, and gets canceled if you cancel the card?

As a side note, Mrs. Orca has the AMEX gold, which is also going to get cancelled at year end very soon, so if something is different about that answer, LMK.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and experience!
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by orca15
I could use a little advise. I am planning to cancel my AMEX Delta reserve business card in a few weeks when the membership year ends, because I am no longer interested in the Sky Club. I will likely pick up the Delta AMEX personal platinum.

I was wondering about the companion cert...is it possible to get the cert, then (soon after) cancel the card, and use it with the other card later? The above indicates you can use it after cancelling, but my question is about the timing...can I do this in a timely enough fashion to get most or all of the next year's annual fee refunded? Or is it truly a benny for renewing, and gets canceled if you cancel the card?

As a side note, Mrs. Orca has the AMEX gold, which is also going to get cancelled at year end very soon, so if something is different about that answer, LMK.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and experience!
I think you will find that the certificate will not post to your Sky Miles account until after your renewal membership has appeared on your Amex Statement. If you cancel your card and do not pay the yearly fee for the card, the certificate will be taken away. I just cancelled a card the other day that I no longer needed and they make you listen to a recording. In the recording, they mention something to the affect that if you have any certificates in your Delta account tied to this credit card, they will be forfeited.

Last edited by Mr. Tickets; Jun 30, 2013 at 12:01 pm Reason: miss posted
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:45 pm

I lived this. I had the Delta Amex Gold card. Instead of cancelling the card, I converted it to a card without an annual fee. The Options card is no longer available, so it was just a generic Blue card that I ended up with. I did this within a week of the annual fee posting. The conversion caused the annual fee to be credited back

My companion pass stayed in my "wallet," and delta showed me as a gold card holder even though I didn't technically have that gold card anymore.

This all happend in Sept 2012. All the way through March 2013 I was even still able to get one checked bag free. I used the companion pass as an authorized user with someone else's gold card. Would it have worked with any card, don't know, didn't try. Around April, I lost my free checked bag privileges, and the conversion from gold to blue caught up with me.

I don't know if the companion pass would have disappeared because I used it in late March just before I lost my free bag at the beginning of April.

Last edited by chyvan; Jun 30, 2013 at 12:52 pm
Old Jun 30, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Thanks for the notes...sounds like there's a fair chance it'll stay in the wallet as long as I stay an AMEX holder. I'll get the personal platinum first, then wait for the reserve to cycle, then cancel it...and see what happens. I'll let you know...
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I think you will find that the certificate will not post to your Sky Miles account until after your renewal membership has appeared on your Amex Statement. If you cancel your card and do not pay the yearly fee for the card, the certificate will be taken away. I just cancelled a card the other day that I no longer needed and they make you listen to a recording. In the recording, they mention something to the affect that if you have any certificates in your Delta account tied to this credit card, they will be forfeited.
Once the companion certificate is sent to Delta, then you have it for good. I have done exactly what you described above and the certificate was not taken away.

Also, you can pay for your flight using the companion pass with ANY Amex.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by alrvd83
Once the companion certificate is sent to Delta, then you have it for good. I have done exactly what you described above and the certificate was not taken away.

Also, you can pay for your flight using the companion pass with ANY Amex.

If you have had this experience and were certain about the outcome as of last night, then why were you asking the same question in different threads early this morning?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23071041-post21.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23070620-post125.html
Old Jun 21, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by gooselee

If you have had this experience and were certain about the outcome as of last night, then why were you asking the same question in different threads early this morning?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23071041-post21.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23070620-post125.html
Notice that I stated in one thread..."I "think" I remember doing this in the past and it did. Anyone else try this?"

It was a few yrs back and I think I remember taking this action, but I am simply posting to re-confirm...see if anyone else has done so...
Old Jun 21, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by alrvd83
Notice that I stated in one thread..."I "think" I remember doing this in the past and it did. Anyone else try this?"

It was a few yrs back and I think I remember taking this action, but I am simply posting to re-confirm...see if anyone else has done so...
My apologies.

I missed that part - was just struck by the very confident assertion here right after responding to you question in the other thread, then noticing the question again in the second thread.

Anyway, if you do end up cancelling before redeeming the cert, please post back so the rest of us have a more current data point!
Old Jun 21, 2014, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
My apologies.

I missed that part - was just struck by the very confident assertion here right after responding to you question in the other thread, then noticing the question again in the second thread.

Anyway, if you do end up cancelling before redeeming the cert, please post back so the rest of us have a more current data point!
Not a problem. I noticed my 2 posts and how it could've caused confusion...

I literally just canceled the card over the phone...ill keep you all posted
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, AA Plat. Pro
I am curious about this as well. I cancelled my platinum card but they issued the new certificate already and it's in my Delta account. I have other Amex cards I can use if it has to be an Amex.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:38 pm

Update: my cert is still in my wallet and it's been about a month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.