Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DELTA AMEX Companion ticket and canceling card

DELTA AMEX Companion ticket and canceling card

Old Jul 10, 14, 4:14 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Given how notoriously difficult these things are to use....
Old Jul 10, 14, 7:19 am

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by cfabar1 View Post
I used mine with no problem whatsoever.
Old Jan 27, 15, 6:07 pm

I am curious about this as well. I noticed that the price of the Platinum card went up $45 this year and the value to use this card just isn't as high anymore as a result. So I went to cancel tonight and was told I would forfeit any existing companion certificates. This is a problem because I still have 1 from last year plus I have one they just issued. So my question is, can I still use my one from last year if I cancel? And if I do cancel, can I keep the one they issued me for this year? This thread indicates so, but it's been a little while since the last post. Curious if anyone else (recently) has encountered this.
Old Jan 27, 15, 8:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta platinum, IHG Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher View Post
I am curious about this as well. I noticed that the price of the Platinum card went up $45 this year and the value to use this card just isn't as high anymore as a result. So I went to cancel tonight and was told I would forfeit any existing companion certificates. This is a problem because I still have 1 from last year plus I have one they just issued. So my question is, can I still use my one from last year if I cancel? And if I do cancel, can I keep the one they issued me for this year? This thread indicates so, but it's been a little while since the last post. Curious if anyone else (recently) has encountered this.
I canceled my amex plati, if I remember correctly, early 2014. The companion certificate remained in my delta account. I just now redeemed it a week ago for a flight in July. I simple paid for it using my amex everyday card. Easy!
Old Jan 27, 15, 10:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher View Post
This is also what they told me, though my fee doesn't get charged until June and the companion ticket was issued months ago so I'll probably fly soon and then downgrade to a gold as we like the pay with miles function.
Old Jan 28, 15, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by floridagal23 View Post
This is also what they told me, though my fee doesn't get charged until June and the companion ticket was issued months ago so I'll probably fly soon and then downgrade to a gold as we like the pay with miles function.
Interesting. Thanks for the advice...I may have to try my luck on this!
Old Feb 6, 15, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1 View Post
This is my concern. Is the only restriction on using the cert that both tickets be booked into L, U, T? I know the companion ticket needs to be booked into L, U, T, but what fare class does the paid ticket have to be? I am hoping it's not like the Amex Platinum benefit where you have to book a full fare F/J ticket to get the companion ticket.
Old Feb 6, 15, 11:20 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM, UA, AA
Don't Need login info

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc View Post
I had two of these this year after I cancelled my card. I gave them both to a trusted friend along with my Delta login information.
The cert can be used by any friend just by giving them the certificate number. The friend has to call Delta Reservation to book in that circumstance.
Old Feb 6, 15, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by onfo View Post
This is my concern. Is the only restriction on using the cert that both tickets be booked into L, U, T? I know the companion ticket needs to be booked into L, U, T, but what fare class does the paid ticket have to be? I am hoping it's not like the Amex Platinum benefit where you have to book a full fare F/J ticket to get the companion ticket.
Both tickets book into LUTXV. The trick is that you must have 2 seats available in the same class, within those five, to use it.

It is not like the Amex international companion business thing where the paid ticket must be full fare.
Old Feb 7, 15, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Both tickets book into LUTXV. The trick is that you must have 2 seats available in the same class, within those five, to use it.

It is not like the Amex international companion business thing where the paid ticket must be full fare.
Do these things work with any L U T X V availability now? I thought there was some subclass or only certain fares under these fare classes that were required too? Haven't people reported searching for two L U T X V seats, then going back to book with the cert from the beginning, and seeing the fare increase?
Old Feb 9, 15, 7:48 am

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Do these things work with any L U T X V availability now? I thought there was some subclass or only certain fares under these fare classes that were required too? Haven't people reported searching for two L U T X V seats, then going back to book with the cert from the beginning, and seeing the fare increase?
Sorry, my post wasn't clear.

I haven't heard any changes since the latest back and forth in the old "scam" thread, so I assume there may still be a subset of LUTXV fares necessary for successful booking.

My point was that one does not need to purchase a full F/J fare to use the DL Amex Certs, as compared to the Amex Platinum (unbranded) International Airline Program where the BOGO only works with certain very expensive fares. In fact, the DL Amex Certs will not work at all with the more expensive fare classes (YBMSHQK in coach).

FWIW, I've never had an issue using these for flights I want at the same price they are for sale for cash. But based on others' reports, seems to be YMMV.
Old Feb 13, 15, 4:34 pm

Delta Am Ex Companion Cert

Was just now reading this thread with interest. I have a Delta Platinum and the companion cert has been issued and in my Delta wallet.

I called Am Ex today to cancel this card and the retention person said they would cancel/recall the companion ticket if I did. She did offer 5,000 skymiles with a $1,000 spend in the next 30 days. I told her I would think about that and hung up. Wanted to check out the forums for info.

If that is true, and maybe it's not and she is bluffing, what if you have booked and paid for a trip with the companion fare. They couldn't possibly unwind that?

My 60 days to cancel is up at the end of the month so would appreciate feedback from anyone confirming what happens.
Old Nov 24, 16, 12:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Hi,
Anyone got any updates on this? I've had the Delta Amex Plat for about 8 years now, but decided it wasn't really worth it for me anymore. The companion pass was issued last month and I cancelled today a day before my annual fee was going to be charged. (They did offer me $100 statement credit or 12,500 miles, but I decided to cancel anyways). Any idea if I can still use the companion pass or will they end up cancelling my trip if i do? I suppose I could have tried using the companion pass before I cancelled but wasn't sure if that would have forced me to pay another year's annual fee.
Old Nov 24, 16, 4:41 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by seatownflyer View Post
Hi,
Anyone got any updates on this? I've had the Delta Amex Plat for about 8 years now, but decided it wasn't really worth it for me anymore. The companion pass was issued last month and I cancelled today a day before my annual fee was going to be charged. (They did offer me $100 statement credit or 12,500 miles, but I decided to cancel anyways). Any idea if I can still use the companion pass or will they end up cancelling my trip if i do? I suppose I could have tried using the companion pass before I cancelled but wasn't sure if that would have forced me to pay another year's annual fee.
I've used the certificate after closing the card with no problems.
Old Apr 13, 17, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, National, Hertz, HH
Does anyone have any recent experience with this? I'm planning to cancel my Reserve card this month.

Search this Thread