Wiki Posts
Search

Redeye companion upgrade ATL-FLL

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Medallion
Redeye companion upgrade ATL-FLL

My sister and I are flying together (separate reservations) from ATL-FLL on a redeye on a Wednesday nite in a few weeks. She just joined skymiles, booked on T, I have silver medallion status booked on K. What are the chances of us being upgraded together or will this be some odd situation where it will disqualify my upgrade eligibility? Thx.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
If your sister is on a separate reservation and she is not a silver or higher, she will not get upgraded. (UPDATE: I am WRONG about that. See below. Happy to admit an error. ) You might. ATL-FLL isn't bad for UGs. Don't know if the late-evening departure is any better than other times.

If you get upgraded at the window, you can call the premium line and ask to get downgraded and ensure you're sitting next to your sister in Y. You can try this at the airport too. If it's a last minute gate upgrade, chances are you can just walk back to Y and the seat next to your sister will be available. (Give your F seat to a soldier or something.)

Another option if you get upgraded is giving your F seat to your sister. It's a rather short flight so it's not terrible in Y and you'll earn a brownie point.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Sep 24, 2012 at 2:01 pm
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not sure why you say that she won't get upgraded.
Any medallion can request a companion upgrade for someone on the same flight. You will have to call DL to request it. They just need your record locator and her name to put her on the upgrade list.
Your traveling companion must be a SkyMiles member and traveling on the same flight. Companions are cleared no sooner than 24 hours in advance of departure.
Note that since you are on separate reservations, you will clear at your normal silver window and your sister will clear with companions. You will have a higher ranking than she does... so its possible you may clear for upgrade and she won't.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rylan
Not sure why you say that she won't get upgraded.
Any medallion can request a companion upgrade for someone on the same flight. You will have to call DL to request it. They just need your record locator and her name to put her on the upgrade list.

Note that since you are on separate reservations, you will clear at your normal silver window and your sister will clear with companions. You will have a higher ranking than she does... so its possible you may clear for upgrade and she won't.
Honestly, I've never heard of a non-medallion getting a companion UG with someone on a totally different reservation. If that were the case, I'd get the name of the prettiest lady in the waiting area and ask that she be put on my companion UG list. That quote is referring to companions booked with the medallion on the same reservation.

UPDATE: Yep, rylan is correct. You can request an UG to a companion on a separate reservation. According to DL:
Companion upgrades must be requested. If you and your companion are in the same reservation you can request your companion upgrade at delta.com. Otherwise, requests must be made over the phone with Reservations or at the airport

* You and companion have different reservation numbers:
Your upgrade will clear based on your individual member status and confirmation window. Your companion’s will clear no sooner than 24 hours prior to the flight's departure.
(Won't really UG strangers. )

Last edited by Oakshadow; Sep 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
If that were the case, I'd get the name of the prettiest lady in the waiting area and ask that she be put on my companion UG list.
Love it!

Thanks, I will call the agent and at least add her, see what happens. The other option is to simply give her my seat which I hadn't even thought of. I'm just assuming there won't be a long UG list or a full flight.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
What kind of plane is it? If you call the medallion line and request that your PNRs get linked then she may get lucky if you're not on something like an A320. I don't think you'll have a problem getting it; I've been very lucky on late-night flights on K fares.

-J.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Boeing 757.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Um, I wouldn't really call this a "red-eye" flight (not really even close to the definition). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eye_flight
Old Sep 24, 2012, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

There's a red eyeball on the booking page. It arrives at midnite. Either way, hopefully there aren't a lot of folks on the UG list.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Also note that by 'linking' you can also ask for a preferred seat that would otherwise not be available to her, such as exit row.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stiltwalker
There's a red eyeball on the booking page. It arrives at midnite. Either way, hopefully there aren't a lot of folks on the UG list.
DL just puts the red eyeball on anything that arrives after 12:00AM (no matter how short the flight).
Old Sep 24, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by LBJ
DL just puts the red eyeball on anything that arrives after 12:00AM (no matter how short the flight).
I've been on sub-1 hour Chautauqua flights that landed at 11:58pm and those had the redeye icon. Of course, if you're on an ERJ, red eyes are the least of your worries

-J.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
I've been on sub-1 hour Chautauqua flights that landed at 11:58pm and those had the redeye icon. Of course, if you're on an ERJ, red eyes are the least of your worries

-J.
Given it's an ERJ flight I suspected the red-eye is supposed to represent tears...
Old Sep 24, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Honestly, I've never heard of a non-medallion getting a companion UG with someone on a totally different reservation.
I've upgraded a non-medallion companion on a different PNR. It was no problem at all, and we both cleared at the window.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Ooompa Loompa
I've upgraded a non-medallion companion on a different PNR. It was no problem at all, and we both cleared at the window.
Same. My GF was on a different reservation and I was able to call and put her on the list with me. Super easy, took under five minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.