FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   UK gov't has passport; can't change ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1388442-uk-govt-has-passport-cant-change-ticket.html)

PDXNRTLHR Sep 17, 2012 10:37 am

UK gov't has passport; can't change ticket

I sent off my passport to the UK Borders Agency in early July, as I'm applying for a marriage visa. After talking to UKBA today, I found out they haven't even started processing my application, and that it's very likely I won't get my passport back for many months.

It now looks like I won't be able to take the flight home for Thanksgiving that I booked in July. My ticket says no refund, no changes.

It's my fault for not reading the COMPLETE fare rules, but I'm used to Delta fares that allow changes for a fee--and I'd happily pay $200 to change the ticket.

I called the Medallion line today and explained the situation, and they said that there's no way that they'd even considering allowing me to change the flight, even for a fee.

My husband booked his ticket after I did, and though we're both on U fares, his is changeable.

Does anybody have advice for me?

rwoman Sep 17, 2012 10:40 am

Call back and speak to another agent. :)

Ascii Sep 17, 2012 10:43 am

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 19330363)

here, here! ^

And try a third time, if you have to. Seriously.

(Also, be sure you're actually explaining the reason. I suspect that's obvious, but just in case...)

usa18dca Sep 17, 2012 10:43 am

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 19330363)

TITCR ^.

MR_MAMA Sep 17, 2012 10:45 am

Call back. You can cancel your flight. They will deposit the voucher in your account to use at a later date .

PDXNRTLHR Sep 17, 2012 10:48 am

Thank you, everyone. If the UKBA hasn't done anything in a month, I'll call back, again and again until they help me! :-)

zkzkz Sep 17, 2012 10:50 am

If they haven't even started processing it you might consider just telling them you need it back and will send in your application again later.

Alternately you can ring the US embassy and tell them the situation and ask if there's any way to get a second or temporary passport. Different countries do it differently. I know the UK issues second passports but other countries (I believe including the US) insist each person should only have one passport. It may still be possible to get temporary travel documents though.

Also, if you're a US citizen you may be able to travel to the US without a passport. Any proof of citizenship should be sufficient -- check the DHS site to see what they would accept. It does mean not being able to fly to other countries though.

k2 Sep 17, 2012 10:58 am

Originally Posted by zkzkz (Post 19330412)
If they haven't even started processing it you might consider just telling them you need it back and will send in your application again later.

Alternately you can ring the US embassy and tell them the situation and ask if there's any way to get a second or temporary passport. Different countries do it differently. I know the UK issues second passports but other countries (I believe including the US) insist each person should only have one passport. It may still be possible to get temporary travel documents though.

Also, if you're a US citizen you may be able to travel to the US without a passport. Any proof of citizenship should be sufficient -- check the DHS site to see what they would accept. It does mean not being able to fly to other countries though.

+1

I think it's a lot harder for US citizens to get a 2nd passport, but it can't hurt to ask.

PDXNRTLHR Sep 17, 2012 11:09 am

I've been told that my application will be withdrawn immediately if I leave the UK before my visa has been issued, even if it's on a second, valid passport.

122554 Sep 17, 2012 11:29 am

Originally Posted by zkzkz (Post 19330412)

Wrong! I have two US passports. The first is good for ten years. The second has to be renewed every two. I carry two for this reason. The time it takes to get visas for some countries is over a month. Having the second one allows me to travel while the visa is being issued on the other.

Often1 Sep 17, 2012 11:35 am

OP's issue isn't whether he has one or ten passports, it's that the UK has told him that if he travels back to the USA, his application will be voided and he will have to start again.

The US Consulate ought to issue temporary documents and, as others point out, as a USN, OP doesn't need a passport to return to the USA.

But, that doesn't solve his underlying problem which is that he apparently doesn't want to lose the application status and DL won't refund the ticket.

OP - Check the fare rules carefully. Is this a ticket which as no value if not used as ticketed or is it one where it can be cancelled and a voucher for the value less $250 issued? It may well be that you are asking DL the wrong question. Refund no, but credit voucher yes.

abaheti Sep 17, 2012 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 19330699)
The US Consulate ought to issue temporary documents and, as others point out, as a USN, OP doesn't need a passport to return to the USA.

Theoretically a US citizen doesn't need a passport to come home, but will an airline let you board a plane headed to the US without a passport, and if you make it to the US, post 9/11, what will CBP put you through when you arrive?

For the temporary passport, see these links:

"In an emergency, embassies or consulates can issue limited validity passports. Contact them directly for more information."
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...side_5462.html

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/tempo...ort-21214.html

PDXNRTLHR Sep 17, 2012 11:56 am

The problem isn't getting to the US, it's coming home after my trip. After withdrawing my application (which would take the UKBA 20 business days just to return my passport anyway), I would have to reapply and pay another $900. The immigration rules changed just after I sent in my application, so if I were to reapply, it would be under different, less favorable circumstances.

Ticket details say:

Other Restrictions: NONREF/NO CHGES PERMITTED/NONENDO

I specifically asked if I could cancel and get a credit, and the agent said no; "either you fly those days or you lose your money."

At the end of the call, she had the gall to offer me hotel and car hire services for my trip!

Doc Savage Sep 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR (Post 19330807)
The problem isn't getting to the US, it's coming home after my trip. After withdrawing my application (which would take the UKBA 20 business days just to return my passport anyway), I would have to reapply and pay another $900. The immigration rules changed just after I sent in my application, so if I were to reapply, it would be under different, less favorable circumstances.

Ticket details say:

Other Restrictions: NONREF/NO CHGES PERMITTED/NONENDO

I specifically asked if I could cancel and get a credit, and the agent said no; "either you fly those days or you lose your money."

You do know, of course, that the reps are required to try to sell you ancillary services when you call, and if they don't, they get in trouble.

At the end of the call, she had the gall to offer me hotel and car hire services for my trip!

Don't take it out on the airline. The people you should be annoyed with are the sluggish bureaucrats who are taking forever to process your visa application despite having already gotten a lot of money from you.

PHLyer82 Sep 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 19330699)
OP's issue isn't whether he has one or ten passports, it's that the UK has told him that if he travels back to the USA, his application will be voided and he will have to start again.

OP is that the case? I read your posts as if the UK returned your current passport back to you, then you would have start over from scratch. If you had a second passport then that would not affect your current application.

General disclaimer: I do not know if you can get a second passport without your current passport or what you have to do to qualify for a second passport.