Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UK gov't has passport; can't change ticket

UK gov't has passport; can't change ticket

Old Nov 7, 12, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving, but earlier in the fall, at the end of October.
Right, although Canadian Thanksgiving actually occurs in early-mid Oct. But in the context of the post, the holiday occurring on the fourth Thursday in November is a US (and regional Netherlands) holiday.
Old Nov 7, 12, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer View Post
Huh? Turkey is the quintessential Christmas meal in the UK.
Yes. That doesn't mean they like it.

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer View Post
Thanksgiving is a US holiday and just another Thursday in November for the rest of the world. Not sure you can begrudge brits for not eating enough turkey on another country's holiday.
That's me posting on not enough sleep. I meant that they eat it only begrudgingly at Christmas. I lived in the UK for two years, and all the Brits I knew viewed turkey as something eaten at Christmas for tradition's sake, but not something they enjoyed. Our big Thanksgiving get-togethers were on Saturday and for a large group, so catered. The non-Americans always seemed baffled by the turkey. Also, the use of pumpkins in something sweet.
Old Nov 7, 12, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR View Post
We're ordering a free range turkey from a farm store near Cambridge. As for canned pumpkin, I'd rather make my own from scratch. :-)

When I lived in Japan, I was very thankful for US military bases and Costco when it came to Yankee foods.
I make my own pastry (pie and puff as needed), but have never bothered with doing the pumpkin from scratch. The food writers/scientists I respect all indicate that you have much greater consistency from the canned product. I always use recipes that cook it on the stove for a bit with the spices before going into the pie/bread/whatever, as that takes care of the raw taste that can come from just using it straight out of the can.

The last two Thanksgivings were in the UK, and it was funny how I turned up with a pumpkin pie with scratch pastry and canned pumpkin and a British friend would bring pumpkin pie with store-bought pastry and pumpkin from scratch. If we'd lived closer together, we could have teamed up
Old Nov 7, 12, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
I'll let you know how it turns out.