Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UK gov't has passport; can't change ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK gov't has passport; can't change ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
If OP PMs me the city pair, fare basis, travel dates, and ticket purchase date, I can send along a full copy of the fare rules from ExpertFlyer, which might find some sort of loophole that will allow cancellation with residual value as a credit or something like that. I'd not encountered such fares ex-LHR (although there are reports of them being common ex-continental Europe), so there may be some portion of the fare rules that could help that the phone agents have been missing.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by pointy
why is this in the DL forum ?
The OP posted this in the DL forum because he was hoping to change a DL ticket, due to passport/visa issues.

As the ticket in question is on DL, and involves DL fare rules, it was logical to post it in the DL forum.

If you question if a thread should be in a particular forum, you can suggest that a moderator move it to a different forum by using the little red triangle with the exclamation point inside of it to alert a moderator to a thread. You can then type a message to them, asking why it is in the forum it is, suggesting that it be moved to a different forum, etc.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Although what's done is done in OP's case, buying tickets in fare buckets where there is no residual value of any kind if not used excatly as booked, is always extremely risky.

OP's situation happens to surround a visa issue, but this could just as easily be any other messy situation.

The real key is to always double-check the fare rules for the specific ticket which you propose to purchase. First, the rules may have changed since the last time you bought one. Second, the reason that fare codes are 5 alphanumeric characters is that there are variations even with broader categories.

DL is piloting deeper than usual discounts in return for zero flexibility. There is a market for these tickets, but they carry real risk. Some risks can be insured (health, job), others are less likely (legal problem such as OP's).

But, unless you can afford to lose the entire value of an international ticket, it's critical that people you spend the time to at least read the key provisions dealing with refunds & changes.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
OP has sent me his travel dates, fare basis, and purchase date, so I've been able to check the fare rules on EF (and sent them to him). This is not one of those draconian ex-continental Europe tickets with no residual value. It's got a Ł100 change fee (better than ex-US!), and he should be able to make some changes without losing the entire ticket value. Probably the biggest issue will be not knowing what date to change the ticket to, since it's unclear when UKBA will get off their rear ends and process his visa application. (For those who've never dealt with UK immigration, I know that rwoman and I can assure you that it's a very confusing process without any clear timelines but that gives you hope of a resolution in a manageable timeframe. My visa application to go over there on a postdoctoral fellowship was almost denied because my visa sponsor couldn't understand the UKBA guidance on when and how to apply for a visa. Fortunately, my fellowship funder had a contact at the consulate in Chicago and intervened to clear up the mess.)
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mtkeller
OP has sent me his travel dates, fare basis, and purchase date, so I've been able to check the fare rules on EF (and sent them to him). This is not one of those draconian ex-continental Europe tickets with no residual value. It's got a Ł100 change fee (better than ex-US!), and he should be able to make some changes without losing the entire ticket value. Probably the biggest issue will be not knowing what date to change the ticket to, since it's unclear when UKBA will get off their rear ends and process his visa application. (For those who've never dealt with UK immigration, I know that rwoman and I can assure you that it's a very confusing process without any clear timelines but that gives you hope of a resolution in a manageable timeframe. My visa application to go over there on a postdoctoral fellowship was almost denied because my visa sponsor couldn't understand the UKBA guidance on when and how to apply for a visa. Fortunately, my fellowship funder had a contact at the consulate in Chicago and intervened to clear up the mess.)
mtkeller is a godsend. It looks like I just got an uninformed Delta agent.

As for changing my ticket, I think I'll just change it for a flight to the US next summer (provided it takes less than 12 months for my visa to be processed!).
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
mtkeller is a godsend. It looks like I just got an uninformed Delta agent.

As for changing my ticket, I think I'll just change it for a flight to the US next summer (provided it takes less than 12 months for my visa to be processed!).
This is terrible that the DL agent told the OP that no changes whatsoever could be allowed.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
A little digression ....Reading though page 4 of this thread bought a smile to my face. This is the type of discussion that turned me from a lurker to a regular reader and occasional contributor. Positive with a lot of info.that readers could use.
Over now to regular programming.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:19 am

mtkeller is a godsend.
Good work, mtkeller. ^
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:52 am
Original Poster

I just thought you'd all like to know, I got a letter from the UKBA today asking me to get my biometrics taken. This means it's highly likely I'll have my passport back in a month.

I'm assuming they started processing it since my husband needed his passport back, so they had to find my application anyway.

Either that, or they just figured out WIA. :-)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I just thought you'd all like to know, I got a letter from the UKBA today asking me to get my biometrics taken. This means it's highly likely I'll have my passport back in a month.

I'm assuming they started processing it since my husband needed his passport back, so they had to find my application anyway.

Either that, or they just figured out WIA. :-)
I hope you haven't already paid the fee to change the plane ticket. Now Thanksgiving in the USA is looking more possible for both of you this year.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope you haven't already paid the fee to change the plane ticket. Now Thanksgiving in the USA is looking more possible for both of you this year.
I haven't paid the fee. I was waiting until it got closer to my first flight to make any decisions.

I'm not going to celebrate yet, but things are looking up!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 5:50 pm

Under rule 25 of Deltas International Condition of Carriage (Sep 7 2012) Delta can refuse to carry you if you can not show travel documents that are in order.

If they refuse to carry you under rule 25 then under rule 90B you are entitled to a full refund regardless of ticket price. 100% if trip has not commenced.

I would think that if you do not have a passport in your possession they will refuse to transport you therefore invoking rule 25 and subsequently rule 90B
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdix
Under rule 25 of Deltas International Condition of Carriage (Sep 7 2012) Delta can refuse to carry you if you can not show travel documents that are in order.

If they refuse to carry you under rule 25 then under rule 90B you are entitled to a full refund regardless of ticket price. 100% if trip has not commenced.

I would think that if you do not have a passport in your possession they will refuse to transport you therefore invoking rule 25 and subsequently rule 90B
Are you sure? Then, anyone can get refunds on nonrefundable international tickets by going to the airport without passport. This is a loophole the size of Empire State Building.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Are you sure? Then, anyone can get refunds on nonrefundable international tickets by going to the airport without passport. This is a loophole the size of Empire State Building.
I'm sure that that's what the contract says. I'm not sure how it is interpreted. Do they say ok, you don't have your passport but you can go anyway?

I think there may be a strong case in the instance of a lost or stolen passport. Again not sure how a lost one would be verified? A stolen one could be by a police report I suppose......
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by TerryK
Sure would be handy dandy if this really was a loophole.

Also, DL used to have a medical exemption to waive or reduce change fees for illness of immediate family members including mother-in-law.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.