Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Rumor: DL to announce SEA-PVG on 9/17/12

Old Sep 15, 12, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward

Hi All,

Rumors from DL will announced SEA-PVG. I think it operate 767 or 777 aircraft. Because the entire 767 do not have enough range. It would be put on weight restricted. I think DL will deployed the entire 777 aircraft.

Let's wait and see. If DL will official announcement on Monday morning.

Regards
Old Sep 15, 12, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A sad day....I love the DTW-PVG flight.
Old Sep 15, 12, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Yes, unfortunately, they didn't workout very well but, the route wasn't performing at all.
Old Sep 15, 12, 12:04 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Who said anything about dropping DTW-PVG? They currently operate both DTW-PEK and SEA-PEK (and will be increasing DTW-PEK to daily).
Old Sep 15, 12, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P; AA Gold; Marriott Platinum

Interesting to see if they are replacing SEA-PVG with DWT-PVG..
Old Sep 15, 12, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
this is being discussed over on anet.
Old Sep 15, 12, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Originally Posted by brovadeau View Post
Interesting to see if they are replacing SEA-PVG with DWT-PVG..
Adding or replacing. Loved the DTW-PVG 777 route. Sadly I flew this in J before flatbeds...
Old Sep 15, 12, 7:43 pm

There's a fair amount of premium traffic between DTW & PVG -- probably larger than that of SEA & PVG. Obviously the market alone cannot justify daily 777 service, but given that DL recently expanded both DTW - PEK & PVG to daily service this upcoming winter, I would suspect these markets are healthy.

SEA-PVG would supplement, not replace, DTW. For the crux of DL's network, transfers through SEA require a double-connection and are less attractive than existing double-connection options through NRT. And yes, SEA-PVG could be -- and likely would be -- operated with a 763.

All this SEA - Asia attention (beyond DL, which would rely on the AS feed) surprises me given that -- contrary to popular belief -- SEA-Asia is a small market. Not much larger than DTW, in fact.
Old Sep 15, 12, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Club Carlson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bagels View Post
There's a fair amount of premium traffic between DTW & PVG -- probably larger than that of SEA & PVG. Obviously the market alone cannot justify daily 777 service, but given that DL recently expanded both DTW - PEK & PVG to daily service this upcoming winter, I would suspect these markets are healthy.

SEA-PVG would supplement, not replace, DTW. For the crux of DL's network, transfers through SEA require a double-connection and are less attractive than existing double-connection options through NRT. And yes, SEA-PVG could be -- and likely would be -- operated with a 763.

All this SEA - Asia attention (beyond DL, which would rely on the AS feed) surprises me given that -- contrary to popular belief -- SEA-Asia is a small market. Not much larger than DTW, in fact.
I don't see how SEA-Asia is a small market, when companies like Microsoft, Boeing, and Amazon are all adding PEK and PVG offices, and need to send workers back and forth. But, neither of us are talking in facts, just conjectures.

However, one fact is that ANA is moving SEA-NRT to 787 soon, and DL continues to face competition for the Asia market out of SEA. It will be nice to have a non-stop PVG option, rather than having to connect at LAX/SFO/YVR to get to China.
Old Sep 15, 12, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Bagels View Post
T
SEA-PVG would supplement, not replace, DTW.
Let's hope so. The 777 is the smallest DL aircraft with capacity to operate DTW-PVG non-stop. They could plausibly drop from 5x weekly to 4x, but from there it would go to zero.

Originally Posted by pleasantsn View Post
I don't see how SEA-Asia is a small market...
The various filings made by the applicants, IIRC, UA/AA/HA/DL - cited some passenger volumes by market. Each data set was chosen to make one airline look good and the other three bad, natch.
Old Sep 15, 12, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by pleasantsn View Post
I don't see how SEA-Asia is a small market, when companies like Microsoft, Boeing, and Amazon are all adding PEK and PVG offices, and need to send workers back and forth. But, neither of us are talking in facts, just conjectures.

However, one fact is that ANA is moving SEA-NRT to 787 soon, and DL continues to face competition for the Asia market out of SEA. It will be nice to have a non-stop PVG option, rather than having to connect at LAX/SFO/YVR to get to China.
I am speaking of facts. I've gotten into this debate elsewhere and went though the numbers; in terms of local traffic between SEA & Asia, it isn't much larger of a market than DTW. Although both DTW & SEA have their strengths, neither is a large market to Asia (not surprising as only a fraction of the traffic resides outside JFK/LAX/SFO). I'm just surprised by the amount of attention SEA-Asia receives - I'd be surprised if the market could sustain all the additions long-term.
Old Sep 15, 12, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Heard from a DL PDX agent recently that PDX-CDG may be announced soon. If so, im guessing this would be a 767 route. PDX-AMS was recently upgraded to an A333 for the summer. Could there be a few new route announcements come monday?

Last edited by Tanaka07; Sep 15, 12 at 9:06 pm
Old Sep 15, 12, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tanaka07 View Post
Heard from a DL PDX agent recently that PDX-CDG may be announced soon. If so, im guessing this would be a 767 route. PDX-AMS was recently upgraded to an A333 for the summer. Could there be a few new route announcements come monday?
Yes, if DL will reinstating nonstop SEA-LHR and if they have a flexible schedule. Because they need leave in between 3 or 4pm instead of 1pm
Old Sep 15, 12, 9:34 pm

If SEA-PVG is announced, it would almost certainly not be in place of DTW-PVG. That flight seems to do very well (it's been daily for a while, unlike PEK & the late HKG flight), and there's no way that SEA could offer the same number of connections that DTW does. However, SEA would allow for much more feasible connections from the west coast, and in that sense it would supplement DTW very nicely. I would be VERY surprised if DTW-PVG is cut as part of this (still officially hypothetical) scenario.
Old Sep 15, 12, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), UA Platinum (1mm), HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I would be amazed to see DTW-PVG cancelled and replaced by SEA-PVG. I could definitely see SEA-PVG added in addition to DTW-PVG service. Having said this, I never thought I would see MSP-FLL service eliminated completely, and it has been....at least seasonally.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: