Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
Sad, just about the only use for the SWUs now taken away....

Especially for us who prefer AF metal TATL.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by amolkold
Another devaluation to the program, albeit rather silent. I was looking at upgradeable-with-miles W fares for early next year, guess not anymore.
+1

The fleecing continues.

Where are our friendly neighborhood social media ambassadors?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by javabytes
+1

The fleecing continues.

Where are our friendly neighborhood social media ambassadors?
Twitter won't even answer me about it after their "we are sorry and we know about the issue" response.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Meh, over the last 2-3 months O was nearly impossible to find more than 3-4 days out on popular routes anyway. Plus honestly, AF business leaves A LOT to be desired.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DLATL777
. Plus honestly, AF business leaves A LOT to be desired.
You are entitled to your personal opinion. However, for a lot of us, the ability to enjoy (yes enjoy) AF Affaires for $1500-$1800 round trip ex-US to Paris (+30k miles or 2 SWU) was HUGE benefit. Seeing this benefit eliminated is a big drawback.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Now I'm curious... Is this an Air France decision, or a Delta decision that they wanted OP to think was an AF one? SWUs are DL instruments to be used on DL tickets. So at least to uneducated me, presumably there is some agreement in the background determining who gets paid what, which is probably what this is over... but I doubt AF came straight out and said no DL upgrades from W to O, right?

(Purely speculating, which is what I do best, so happy to be educated.)
Old Sep 14, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
Now I'm curious... Is this an Air France decision, or a Delta decision that they wanted OP to think was an AF one? SWUs are DL instruments to be used on DL tickets. So at least to uneducated me, presumably there is some agreement in the background determining who gets paid what, which is probably what this is over... but I doubt AF came straight out and said no DL upgrades from W to O, right?

(Purely speculating, which is what I do best, so happy to be educated.)
What I was told by agent at international desk is that it was AF that asked to stop issuing upgrade temporarily. She then hypothesized they were likely working on a new policy, and further added that, in her opinion, they wanted to find a way to match closely the fare required on DL to upgrade to J (YBM, >$2500).
Old Sep 14, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I've been on the DM line for over an hour now, trying to change my return next Weds AF that was booked in W. I asked if I could get on an alternative KL or DL flight - KL is best since it would be direct to IAD - but it was $1200 more ($3,870) since "only B is available on KL". I asked supervisor if DL could somehow make this happen due to the AF difficulties - no way. Now I'm trying to change to AMS-DTW-DCA, and that's taken 20 minutes already to try to make happen.

Apparently since I leave tomorrow on KL, the ticket has already been taken over by them, and DL fears that that confirmed SWU upgrade could be lost by changing the return.

This is no fun, spending half my life trying to figure out the DL upgrade game - only to hav them change it every time I think I have it figured out
Old Sep 14, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by teCh0010
Twitter won't even answer me about it after their "we are sorry and we know about the issue" response.
DL's twitter has gone down the drain. Look at AA's to see how it's done. Even UA is starting to wake up when it comes to social media.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Meh, over the last 2-3 months O was nearly impossible to find more than 3-4 days out on popular routes anyway. Plus honestly, AF business leaves A LOT to be desired.
I waited 5+ months for O availability...never came through, PISSED. Eff Delta and Eff Air France.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:02 pm

If this is really true, it's a new low to change a major benefit after tickets were bought. At a minimum it should only apply to tickets bought after a real announcement and the rules on the web site reflect it.

Before anyone says upgrades were never guaranteed, there was at least a chance which is very different then none. Some of us now have, to us, worthless swu's and would have bought different TATL tickets if there was no chance.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mpp
I didn't think the SWU could become even more worthless.

I even tried to use one one a multi-segment international trip with a mix of fare classes including domestic segments in H class and I was not allowed to use them on those segments because they are part of an international itinerary.
Well it has. The only SWU value left I've seen with DL was the AF S/W UG. First O has become non-existent. Now no UG's on W. SWU has not become a PMU again.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by lseflyer
If this is really true, it's a new low to change a major benefit after tickets were bought. At a minimum it should only apply to tickets bought after a real announcement and the rules on the web site reflect it.

Before anyone says upgrades were never guaranteed, there was at least a chance which is very different then none. Some of us now have, to us, worthless swu's and would have bought different TATL tickets if there was no chance.
That was my point to Delta when I tried to get them to rebook me on DL metal and let me use an SWU. I know it was a gamble, but there was a chance. I paid about $700 more than the coach fare on DL to ride in PV on AF for the chance of an upgrade.

After I bought the tickets I found out they changed the rules and I don't have any chance at all.

Once I got done explaining all of that they said "what do you expect from a $1600 fare, what AF does is out of our control, it will be $1200 to upgrade one way to an M so you can use an SWU.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:55 pm

So this means no upgrades to Business Class on AF of any sort:

On Air France operated flight: Economy Y, B, and M class to Premium Voyageur class only on Transatlantic flights. Premium Voyageur W and S class to Business class only on transatlantic flights, except for 747 aircraft equipped flights.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...ndex.jsp#delta

Of course the above was kind of dysfunctional - If you had a Y,B, or M fare you could upgrade to Premium class. If you bought the cheaper W ticket, you could upgrade to Business. I guess someone realized it was backwards.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
So this means no upgrades to Business Class on AF of any sort:

On Air France operated flight: Economy Y, B, and M class to Premium Voyageur class only on Transatlantic flights. Premium Voyageur W and S class to Business class only on transatlantic flights, except for 747 aircraft equipped flights.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...ndex.jsp#delta

Of course the above was kind of dysfunctional - If you had a Y,B, or M fare you could upgrade to Premium class. If you bought the cheaper W ticket, you could upgrade to Business. I guess someone realized it was backwards.
They changed the SWU rules for AF in the past, but they did it the right way. You used to be able to buy the cheaper S fare, the next year they changed the fare codes in the SWU.

Changing the SWU rules is the way to deal with it if DL / AF want's to change it, not just wiping out O inventory so no one can use the SWU's they already have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.