Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Your Input is Requested: How to Improve the Tone of the Delta SkyMiles Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by slipbeer
I belong to another forum that has experienced huge growth over the past 2 to 3 years going from 10,000 to over 100,000 members.

The moderators have had to enforce some civility rules, up to and including banning members which I know they aren't thrilled about. It's alot of work for a volunteer and I know they get frustrated acting as the manners police but they do it and you can see things calm down after they do take some actions.

I think there are people on this forum who really need to be told to stand down and I think the moderators have to be a little more assertive, which I realize is not fun.

The mods at the other forum periodically open up threads like this to solicit opinions on how to improve the tone of the discussions.

The last time they did so I pasted a couple examples of ridiculous stompings that have occurred right here in the Delta forum as examples of a forum gone bad.

I do agree that some of the frustration comes from some of Delta's recent actions. I'm an admittedly low value Diamond and I see myself flying less and less with them in the future.

I also thnk the Internet let's people act out without much in the way of repercussions. Unfortunately, this place seems to be going in the direction where the whiners and self entitled are outnumbering the people who come to seek valid information.
+1
More of rwoman/MSPeconomist- type comments
Less of nypdLieu- type comments.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I get extremely annoyed when someone decides that a topic has been discussed enough, especially when he/she is strongly opinionated on the topic. Comments like "move along, there's nothing to see here," "this has been discussed before (two years ago) in this forum," "this topic always turns out badly," "mods, please lock this thread," "it's inappropriate for FT to discuss DL employee benefits" seem like a bully trying to stop the free expression of ideas in a civil way because he/she might disagree with what is being said. It's even more frustrating when a thread gets locked for no other reason than that someone made some comments like this or because a mod unilaterally thinks that it has been discussed enough.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
In addition to everyone owning up to a greater degree of civility, I'd encourage SMInsider or the most current iteration to be a bit more active and engaging here. Sure, that might be hard to imagine in a hostile environment, but encouraging dialogue and everyone offering their perspective as they see it is what makes a forum such as this rich with knowledge.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by peachfront
I would personally institute a new rule that EVERYONE who says "do a search" first be required to do three searches and see for themselves how helpful it is...NOT. I would also personally require that EVERYONE who says "read the sticky" or "read this long thread started in 2006" be forced to read said sticky or same thread.
Well, I can confirm the EC sticky stays current.

And, many of us who do advise a search often provide pertinent links.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I get extremely annoyed when someone decides that a topic has been discussed enough, especially when he/she is strongly opinionated on the topic. Comments like "move along, there's nothing to see here," "this has been discussed before (two years ago) in this forum," "this topic always turns out badly," "mods, please lock this thread," "it's inappropriate for FT to discuss DL employee benefits" seem like a bully trying to stop the free expression of ideas in a civil way because he/she might disagree with what is being said. It's even more frustrating when a thread gets locked for no other reason than that someone made some comments like this or because a mod unilaterally thinks that it has been discussed enough.
This is old news..move along...

I agree with you 100%.

I also do not think the number of times somebody posts should be a factor. In fact; CONGRATS on making the FT Evangelist list! I know I get plenty of info, humor, and general knowledge from your posts and I do not want see you limited to some number per thread. That is exactly the opposite of what this forum is about.

Generally I agree that the primary issue can be boiled down to a handful of posters who are on either the far right or left relative Delta. I am not sure how the Mods can control that but I also appreciate them asking.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:00 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I personally know of at least a dozen FlyerTalk members who either rarely post to the Delta SkyMiles forum anymore or avoid posting to it altogether.

What can we do as a community to improve the dialogue on the Delta SkyMiles forum so that it is friendlier and more helpful without affecting the quality of the information posted?

Please post your suggestions here — or, better yet, resolve to be more helpful and civil to fellow FlyerTalk members whenever posting to the Delta SkyMiles forum here on FlyerTalk.
First of all, I frankly don't think it is that uncivil around here. There are a number of things that annoy me (such as those posters who have staked out a strictly "Delta is perfect" position or "Delta does nothing right" position), but I don't think wholesale changes are needed to improve civility. I participate on a college sports board operated by Rivals. If you want to see uncivil discussions, go to it.

I do think that some posters could be less arrogant. The condescending tone about searches or upgrades can be a turn off to some, particularly someone new to this board asking his/her first question. I think we have, at one time or another, talked about virtually everything related to Delta, so if one takes the "search first" position literally, there would rarely be a new thread on this board. I don't think it is a mortal sin to start a thread asking a question that happened to have been answered a couple of years ago, nor is it a sin to "gently" and without pontification guide the poster back to the original answer.

I don't post as much as I used to, and thinking about it I believe it is because the Delta program itself has become much less fun to participate in. There are very few good stories that come from the SkyMiles program these days, and a lot of degradation of the program has occurred IMO -- even though I think the airline itself has improved the product it offers.

So, for me, it's either come on this board and post about bad SkyMiles experiences (from the worthless award calendar to the lack of "Low" awards) or not post much at all -- and I have trended toward the latter since I don't get a lot of pleasure from coming on this board to complain all the time.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by DaChief
Step back for a moment.

Take a breath.

RELAX.

Reflect on what you are about to say instead of merely reacting.

Be civil.

Treat others with respect regardless.
I +1 this and would add, would you say what you are about to say to the fellow FT'er face to face. If not, don't! Even the 1st time poster should be welcomed and respected when they ask a question we all know the answer to!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant
I think the worst offenders are the high post count members (one or two evangelists in particular). It's as if they've become self-proclaimed "know it alls" and attack what others say. And it seems to get overlooked often. It's that arrogance that turns me off.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant
Originally Posted by mapsgl
Pretty much this. DL is inconsistent and unclear about the rules and contract with their customers. The confusion makes it way to the board.
Confusing corporate policies do not mitigate personal responsibility.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by havepointswilltravel
+1
More of rwoman/MSPeconomist- type comments
I'll second that.

Also, if we could eliminate certain buzzwords that have been overused/exhausted. "Ham Sandwich" comes to mind.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:30 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff

Originally Posted by Canarsie
...What can we do as a community to improve the dialogue on the Delta SkyMiles forum so that it is friendlier...?

Please... resolve to be more helpful and civil to fellow FlyerTalk members whenever posting to the Delta SkyMiles forum here on FlyerTalk...
I think this is a fu**ing stupid idea.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Robert Leach

I don't post as much as I used to, and thinking about it I believe it is because the Delta program itself has become much less fun to participate in. There are very few good stories that come from the SkyMiles program these days, and a lot of degradation of the program has occurred IMO -- even though I think the airline itself has improved the product it offers.

I think this about sums it up, along with the general extremist viewpoints (pro or con!). Just not a lot of positive news to discuss of late, compounded with certain overly ideological posters, does seem to hurt the overall tone of the forum.

My usage of this forum has certainly dropped but that has much more to do with Delta than anything else.

That said, I dont think that there is much that can or should be done about it. The DL forum still a better place and more useful place than some of the more drAAconian forums on FT...
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
I would echo the thought that the rudeness/arrogance that shows through in some people's posts is a huge turn-off. Short of the mods taking a far more aggressive stance, I don't know how we can force people not to be that way. Not to sound like I come from Mayberry, but I often wonder if people are still taught to use understanding "I feel..." statements to convey their positions rather than accusatory "you did..." statements to diffuse conflicts. But, unfortunately, I'm not sure avoiding conflict is everyone's goal here, either.

I also think people post with too much emotion. Sure, I enjoy flying Delta quite a bit - but it's an airline, not a member of my family. This sort of goes along with the point that MikeMpls made; if you post an honest criticism of Delta or question about their operation, it's likely a swarm of diehard Delta defenders will appear to belittle you for asking (and if they feel like it, maybe provide an actual answer). It works the other way too.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
- Partly DL bad ideas being implemented with increasing rapidity and no notice
- Partly the polarizing nature of responses to those changes (which in similar ways, but for different root causes, mirrors the increased polarization/hostility/lack of civility in US electoral discourse)
- Partly a handful of posters -- none of whom, not surprisingly, have posted or will likely post in this thread. Not to hijack the thread, but what exactly are the policies re banning people?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by andymo99
I think this is a fu**ing stupid idea.
This made me laugh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.