FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Emailed Another Passengers Confirmation and Itinerary (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1386276-emailed-another-passengers-confirmation-itinerary.html)

BillikenFlyer Sep 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Emailed Another Passengers Confirmation and Itinerary

I received an email from Delta today with another passengers confirmation and itinerary for his flight tomorrow. Has anyone else received this? I would have an issue if my info was sent to anyone else.

iflyalexair Sep 10, 2012 4:27 pm

I've had the happen when I was dealing with the twitter agents.

sethb Sep 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by BillikenFlyer (Post 19290221)
I received an email from Delta today with another passengers confirmation and itinerary for his flight tomorrow. Has anyone else received this? I would have an issue if my info was sent to anyone else.

Any relationship? I get that when I buy a ticket for someone else.

PRWeezer Sep 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Could it have been a phishing email?

We have recently received reports from customers of fraudulent emails claiming to be from Delta Air Lines. As such, please be advised of the following:

We recommend you change your SkyMiles account PIN immediately and monitor your account for any misuse.
These emails were not sent by Delta Air Lines.
You should not click on the link in the email or open any attachments.
Instead, you should delete the email from your inbox.

These emails claim that you have purchased a Delta ticket, a credit card has been charged and/or an invoice or receipt is attached to the email. If you receive one of these emails, do not open the attachment as it may contain potentially dangerous viruses or harm your computer.

Be assured that Delta did not send these emails, and our customers’ credit cards have not been charged by Delta as a result of the emails. These emails did not originate from Delta, nor do we believe that any personal information that you provided us was used to generate these emails. We will continue to post updates on this page as additional information becomes available.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...hing/index.jsp

bwhite Sep 10, 2012 5:56 pm

I routinely get emails for BillikenFlyer so I just click the "cancel upgrade request" link... just kidding.

Just once, I was making a change with a phone agent and she emailed me the record while we moved onto my next request. She actually sent me the record for last person she was working with. I don't think it was her fault, we all know how difficult it is for them to navigate our own records and when I told what I received she remembered their name. I suspect an IT issue (data stuck in a buffer sort of thing) but someone who knows their system better might have a better explanation.

abaheti Sep 10, 2012 6:03 pm

I got one of these a couple of weeks ago, but I don't fly Delta so I knew it was a scam/phishing email. Don't open the attachment.

BenA Sep 10, 2012 6:14 pm

It could be a phishing scam - or it could be real. Double check your account just to be sure you aren't missing any points or certificates when this happens.

Once a little more than a year ago, I received a paper itinerary in the mail for a gentleman named Mark from Iowa flying to Edinburgh, who apparently used one of my systemwide upgrades on his M class MSP-AMS segment.

I didn't have time to track down Delta to complain - besides, goodness knows most of my SWUs expire unused anyway - but it could be that something similar happened to you.

This happened a few days after I'd called to inquire about an upgrade of my own, so I assume the agent simply forgot to close out my account before working on the next guy's ticket, and for some reason the system let her use one of my SWUs on the next caller's flight... pretty scary this is possible; I'm not exactly keen on my itinerary accidentally being mailed to another passenger.

Carpboy823 Sep 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Did you ask for them to receive compensation? :)

BillikenFlyer Sep 10, 2012 7:54 pm

That is the thing, I have no idea who this is and have not called into delta in a while. It was not a phishing email as it was from the same email address that I get my confirms from and did not have any attachments.

MNAudiS4 Sep 10, 2012 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by BillikenFlyer (Post 19291433)
That is the thing, I have no idea who this is and have not called into delta in a while. It was not a phishing email as it was from the same email address that I get my confirms from and did not have any attachments.

a lot of times the phishing emails have wrong flight numbers listed for the flights. Very issue to check that.

abaheti Sep 10, 2012 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by BillikenFlyer (Post 19291433)

The one i got also had links that went to odd sites but were disguised. Mouse over the links and see if they go to delta.com, but dont click them.

BillikenFlyer Sep 10, 2012 8:45 pm

I used the confirmation number and his name from the email and was able to pull up his itinerary on the Delta website.

BillikenFlyer Sep 10, 2012 9:11 pm

So the question is should I change their seats and put them in a middle seat in the back

MSPeconomist Sep 10, 2012 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 19290945)
It could be a phishing scam - or it could be real. Double check your account just to be sure you aren't missing any points or certificates when this happens.

Once a little more than a year ago, I received a paper itinerary in the mail for a gentleman named Mark from Iowa flying to Edinburgh, who apparently used one of my systemwide upgrades on his M class MSP-AMS segment.

I didn't have time to track down Delta to complain - besides, goodness knows most of my SWUs expire unused anyway - but it could be that something similar happened to you.

This happened a few days after I'd called to inquire about an upgrade of my own, so I assume the agent simply forgot to close out my account before working on the next guy's ticket, and for some reason the system let her use one of my SWUs on the next caller's flight... pretty scary this is possible; I'm not exactly keen on my itinerary accidentally being mailed to another passenger.

SWUs are supposed to be nontransferrable unless you're also on the flight. Why wasn't this caught by DL?