Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying to Italy (plus an ExpertFlyer question)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

1) I can find business awards (Z class) on AZ using ExpertFlyer, but DL doesn't show those same flights (even when I search nonstop only from JFK-FCO or MXP, I get only the DL flight. Is there any way to book this flight online, or do I have to call? (EF says that AZ only fare class for business awards so I assume if I see the availability on EF that it books at the "low" level with DL? )

2) Assuming I can fly in J on either AZ or DL, which would people recommend? I it makes a difference, it will be flying with my wife and kid (3 seats).
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Award Travel on delta.com is limited to travel, subject to availability, on Delta and, Delta Connection®,and partners Hawaiian Airlines, Alaska Airlines, KLM, Aeromexico, Air France and Virgin Australia International Airlines (VA-coded flights only).

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...cket/index.jsp
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
Wirelessly posted (Galaxy S2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

You've to call them to book on AZ. Tell the rep right away that they need to do a 'long sell'.

DL 764 is nice but doesn't fly to FCO. So AZ is better with flat bed seats and supposedly better food.

Just basing AZ comments based on my reading, I'm yet to fly AZ NYC-FCO in November.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
Wirelessly posted (Galaxy S2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Search on airfrance.us after creating a free account.

EF 'z' on AZ should be'low' on delta. To get a second confirmation, it should show as 'classic' on airfrance website.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I could have sworn that I saw AZ inventory on the DL website recently on some other route. Is this a recent change or am I just hallucinating?

charms81, what do you mean "long sell"?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12
Thanks, all. I could have sworn that I saw AZ inventory on the DL website recently on some other route. Is this a recent change or am I just hallucinating?

charms81, what do you mean "long sell"?
The frontline reps sometimes shoo you off right away saying that they do not see any AZ seats available. For AZ/ CI, DL needs to do a long sell which is essentially a manual request for seats. So tell the rep to do a long sell if they at they do not see any seat available.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:58 pm

You can see AZ operated DL code shares for revenue tickets, but not for awards.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Got it. But so long as I see Z inventory on EF, there are, in fact, seats available that can be booked with SkyMiles, right? There wouldn't be a situation where inventory exists on AZ but for some reason isn't bookable with SkyMiles?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
crimson: have you tried looking on EF for availability of DL BE seats DTW-FCO?
That maybe one option to consider.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:01 am

If AZ shows Z in EF or it shows up as award on airfrance.us, then it should be a low award ticket available to Delta. AZ does not have award buckets in same category like Airfrance.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Award Travel on delta.com is limited to travel, subject to availability, on Delta and, Delta Connection®,and partners Hawaiian Airlines, Alaska Airlines, KLM, Aeromexico, Air France and Virgin Australia International Airlines (VA-coded flights only).

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...cket/index.jsp
Note that AF flights do not always show up on Delta.com either...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
It always shows when searched by schedule. There one catch though - Not all AF award tickets are available to skyteam members. Only the 'low' award on AF. AF has 2 levels of classic O awards now and only the lower is available to skyteam.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Delta doesn't claim that all AF seats will appear as bookable with SkyMiles, but from that citation it should be perfectly clear that one has to call to be an award with an Alitalia segment.

Originally Posted by charms81
It always shows when searched by schedule.
AF doesn't always appear when searched by schedule, either, although point-to-point constructions (not relying on delta.com to construct connections) when searched by schedule come up fairly reliably if EF/ FlyingBlue shows Classic award availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.