Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

So does anybody like the Delta SkyMiles AMEX card here?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

I don't see it mentioned much, so maybe it's not preferred over the Chase Sapphire, etc. But I live near Atlanta (Delta hub), and they seem to have a pretty competitive sign-up promotion (bonus miles) with benefits like free first checked bag for entire party (up to 9 passengers) in the same reservation (even if you don't buy the tickets with their AMEX card), Priority Zone 1 boarding, etc.

What is Flyertalk's take on this card program? The annual fee (I think $95) is waived the first year. Will they typically waive it again in the 2nd year if you threaten to cancel and agree to a minimum spend commitment ($1000 in 3 months, etc.) like Citibank does?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
I don't see it mentioned much,
You will not find much discussion in the Credit Card Programs forum because the Delta forum is the primary discussion venue for all Skymiles topics including their co-branded cards. I have moved your thread to Delta forum.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
lizbeth does

If you don't have elite status, it can make your life a bit easier. If you take at least 2 round trips per year and check a bag each time, you more than make up for the cost of the annual fee.

Be aware that Zone 1 boarding doesn't really mean first to board. Delta actually has 3 groups of passengers that go before Zone 1 (Passengers needing extra time, First Class passengers, and then Diamonds/Platinums/Golds). Clever marketing gimmick. Diamonds/Platinums/Golds used to be Zone 1 and AmEx boarding used to be Zone 2, but that didn't sell as well. So they re-did the numbering, and now even though AmEx boards in Zone 1, nothing has changed. It can still help you secure overhead bin space which you might not get when boarding in a later zone.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by javabytes
Be aware that Zone 1 boarding doesn't really mean first to board. Delta actually has 3 groups of passengers that go before Zone 1 (Passengers needing extra time, First Class passengers, and then Diamonds/Platinums/Golds). Clever marketing gimmick. Diamonds/Platinums/Golds used to be Zone 1 and AmEx boarding used to be Zone 2, but that didn't sell as well. So they re-did the numbering, and now even though AmEx boards in Zone 1, nothing has changed. It can still help you secure overhead bin space which you might not get when boarding in a later zone.
+1

One caveat: I fly out of ATL and find that the overhead bin space fills up by either zone sky or zone 1 on 100% of my flights. I can guarantee you that you will not find overhead space if you board late in zone 1, and on elite-heavy days/routes, may not find any space even if you are the first to board in zone 1.

Also, be aware that 50-90% of the plane boards before or during "priority" zone 1, so you aren't getting much of an advantage there. And I would strongly advise against checking bags when returning to ATL, as even the priority bags can take an hour to arrive at baggage claim.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta KM, United 1K, SPG plat
I hate my Amex. It's not accepted at many of the places I shop, here and abroad. And Amex customer service is horrible. And I'm a Reserve card holder. That's the fancy-pants Amex. I have it only for mathematical reasons and would jump at the chance to switch to a different CC company.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by generaltao
I hate my Amex. It's not accepted at many of the places I shop, here and abroad. And Amex customer service is horrible. And I'm a Reserve card holder. That's the fancy-pants Amex. I have it only for mathematical reasons and would jump at the chance to switch to a different CC company.
AMEX has never given up on the FTF's, so shouldn't be used outside the US anyway.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
I have the Reserve card and I do like it. It's the only one I've been able to use the companion cert on, and it's good for A fares too. That alone is worth the $450 per year if you use it wisely.

Also the 30k MQMs for spending bonus makes it a no-brainer for me.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL Spam; SPG Gold; other randoms
The Delta Amex suite is good for the (one time) bonuses, but I've never felt the need to keep it after the inaugural year. Even lowly silvers get free bags (for now, at least!)
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Had Amex 3 times. They screwed me every time! Had my limit up to $75K a month, didn't use it for 3 months, (No one takes it in Africa) and they dropped me to $2K! Screw Amex!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by dcline414
+1

One caveat: I fly out of ATL and find that the overhead bin space fills up by either zone sky or zone 1 on 100% of my flights. I can guarantee you that you will not find overhead space if you board late in zone 1,
This isn't always the case. I have flown ATL-DTW and ATL-FNT several times this year on Monday mornings, board near the end of Zone 1 and haven't had trouble finding overhead bin space. In fact on ATL-FNT, the overheads haven't completely filled up period, since the flight is often only half-full on an MD-88.

Obviously YMMV, and dcline414 must be flying much different routes/times than I am.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by generaltao
<ost people find AMEX Customer Service to be great, clearly not this poster, but I don't think their Customer Service is a knock of this card.

The "nobody takes amex" is a bit exaggerated - as perhaps some small places don't, but most places in the US actually do take AMEX.

Personally, I have the AMEX PLT DELTA card because the annual fee is signicantly reduced as I have a regular AMEX PLT CARD. I find the MQMs are nice as well as the double points on DL. Also, the 20% on inflight food can be good, but since I usually get a coupon on the BP when flying in the back, I don't use that all that much
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Gold, PC Platinum, HHonors Silver, Htz Gold FS
I really do like my Delta Gold AMEX card. Although I do not use it much, as I use my PRG for all my daily expenses and all of my work travel (besides per diem) is put on my company card (Boss-man uses Citi-AA) I like that just having the card allows for the first free checked bag benefit, even when not using the card to pay for the ticket. This comes in handy being that I am now allowed a mileage booster per each luggage fee avoided. That gives me 2k additional Sky Miles per round trip...not too shabby. The zone 1 boarding has been really great for me so far. I hear horrible things about the Companion Tickets, but I hope I can take advantage of that on my first anniversary next year.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I can guarantee you that you will not find overhead space if you board late in zone 1, and on elite-heavy days/routes, may not find any space even if you are the first to board in zone 1.
Hogwash.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by indufan
Hogwash.
You're right, I should correct that.

It should say that I have never seen room for an additional bag in the overhead by the end of zone 1 ON ANY OF THE 100+ DELTA FLIGHTS I'VE BEEN ON TO/FROM ATL IN THE PAST YEAR.

In fact, the GAs will always require zones 2-3 (formerly 3-4) to check any bag that won't fit under the seat. Of course, that means they let the zone sky or zone 1 passengers find out the hard way that the space is already gone, then have to fight their way back to the front of the plane. Again, I can only speak for EVERY FLIGHT I'VE BEEN ON.

If you're going from ATL-BFE then you may have better luck.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
You're right, I should correct that.

It should say that I have never seen room for an additional bag in the overhead by the end of zone 1 ON ANY OF THE 100+ DELTA FLIGHTS I'VE BEEN ON TO/FROM ATL IN THE PAST YEAR.

If you're going from ATL-BFE then you may have better luck.
Yikes, where do you fly? I've never had that experience. But, then again, I avoid ATL like the plague (but will be there next month )

Usually, it's the stragglers in Zone 3 that have issues with rollerboards from my experience. Unless ATL-JAX is the same as ATL-BFE, it includes some elite heavy routes for DL.

As for the Amex, I have enough SkyPesos, I really don't know what I would do with more? I got an SPG Amex and it's going to pay for a huge hunk of my honeymoon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.