Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum connect time in Sydney; VAustralia to DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2012, 2:38 pm
mpp
Original Poster

What would be the minimum connection time in Sydney to connect from a domestic Virgin Australia flight to the SYD-LAX flight?

Looks like I'll have to take the VAustralia transfer bus from the domestic to international terminal and then check-in at the Delta counter. Anyone have any clue how long this would take?

After a flight schedule change (MLB-SYD) they are trying to tell me a 1hr 25min connection is ok. Seems unrealistic but maybe it's doable. I wish they would have just put me on the VAustralia SYD-LAX flight which leaves a few hours after the DL flight.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Have you tried calling Delta? In my experiences, they've been very good about changing itineraries after a schedule change.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by mpp
What would be the minimum connection time in Sydney to connect from a domestic Virgin Australia flight to the SYD-LAX flight?

Looks like I'll have to take the VAustralia transfer bus from the domestic to international terminal and then check-in at the Delta counter. Anyone have any clue how long this would take?

After a flight schedule change (MLB-SYD) they are trying to tell me a 1hr 25min connection is ok. Seems unrealistic but maybe it's doable. I wish they would have just put me on the VAustralia SYD-LAX flight which leaves a few hours after the DL flight.
Assume you meant MEL and not MLB.

MCT at SYD for Domestic/International connections to DL is 120 minutes. 85 minutes is less than MCT.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Seems short to me. The bus transfer took quite a while when we did it.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
Assume you meant MEL and not MLB.

MCT at SYD for Domestic/International connections to DL is 120 minutes. 85 minutes is less than MCT.
Two hours sounds right to me. The problem is the terminal-to-terminal bus transfer, which is a complete disgrace.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:47 pm
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
The option I tend to use at SYD is to transfer using the train. It's $5/passenger and really quick. Dom>Int'l at SYD in the mornings is counter-peak with relatively frequent services, so the train shouldn't be too crowded.

You have to buy the tickets from a station ticket seller - and check the boards for the next train to Int'l.

It beats waiting 20-30 minutes for the bus, especially in a hurry.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:56 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by mpp

After a flight schedule change (MLB-SYD) they are trying to tell me a 1hr 25min connection is ok.
The MCT is 120 minutes, so it is definitely not "OK":

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.3/Diamond - Reference: Minimum Connection Time [MCT]: SYD/VA-DL]
Code:
                                               DD  DI  ID  II   
STANDARD:         SYD                          030 060 075 060  

EXCEPTIONS:                                                     
A/L                                                             

VA                                             --- 120 --- 090  
DL                                                              

-ALL-                                          --- 120 --- ---  
DL                                                              

VA                                             --- --- 120 090  
-ALL-                                                           
**END OF DISPLAY**
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
As a practical matter, if you have to check in anew for your DL flight, I'd say a three-hour layover is the minimum. That gives you time for your incoming Virgin flight to be a little late, for deplaning and getting the transfer bus or train, and lining up at the DL counter. The domestic <-> international transfer deal at SYD is ridiculous.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
85 min is not doable if it includes the transfer and check-in to DL flight on the intl term. The bus takes at least 20 minutes to arrive and board unless you get lucky to find the bus the minute you stop by.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:00 pm
mpp
Original Poster

So these are my options:

1. Take my chances and go with it (according to VAustralia, there is enough time).
2. Take the later VAustralia flight (which would give me plenty of time).
3. Route through ICN on Korean

I would really like to stay on my Delta flight because I really prefer their 777 business class. The food and service is fine, and the seat/suite aspect is really ideal for me. I will be traveling alone. Both VA and KE fit their 777 with 2-3-2 even though they have lie flats. In all honestly I have not flown either VA or KE but based on what I have read and see, I think I would prefer DL.

My complete routing right now is LST-MEL-SYD-LAX-PDX.

Anybody have an opinion on VA or KE?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:21 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
What about asking for the the nonstop VA MEL-LAX?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:35 pm
mpp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SamOF
What about asking for the the nonstop VA MEL-LAX?
I would do that but it doesn't fly on the day I need it (only Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday).

I went with VA. All the reviews say it's great. I'll miss the suite of the DL 777 though. I like the privacy plus the direct aisle access. Hopefully VA will measure up. It does have a bar which is kind of cool...but 2-3-2 in business seems rather crowded.

My final itinerary:

PDX-LAX (AS)
LAX-SYD (DL) --stopover
SYD-MEL-LST (VA)
LST-MEL-SYD-LAX (VA)
LAX-PDX (AS)

150k and $140 all in business/first. Not too shabby for Skymiles.

Last edited by mpp; Sep 5, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.