Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Travel to PSP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Award Travel to PSP

Trying to find low award space into PSP in October. Award Calendar only shows medium and high. I searched for one way segments from all the hubs into PSP and all are 60K. Was able to find low to ONT via ATL and SLC but coulnd't find a low return that works. My dates are set in stone unfortunetly.

Any ideas? Is low availablity to PSP in Ocotber just not to be found ever? Anyone with experience with this award? Originating in BHM.

TIA!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM
I have a home in PSP and I cannot find low award into PSP....ever. Even in the middle of July, it is a tough route (if you are trying for a weekend/long weekend). ONT isn't a bad choice if you are staying right in PSP. If you are out in LaQuinta, it can add another 30 minutes to the drive. On Saturdays and Sundays I also use the early morning bank OUT of SNA. You don't want to get in the Orange County to Inland Empire traffic mess on the eastbound drive.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:33 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I seem to recall in years past that NW (and, for a period after the merger, DL) operated a MSP-PSP flight in the winter and shoulder seasons. They seem to be down now to a minimal schedule on SLC-PSP and I've had a lot of difficulty finding even decent fares in and out of the airport. I live in LA but am often in PSP on weekends and sometimes prefer to fly out of there instead of LAX. ONT used to be nice with a non-stop to ATL but that's gone now too. SLC is all you've got left for options from either PSP or ONT.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by dll
I seem to recall in years past that NW (and, for a period after the merger, DL) operated a MSP-PSP flight in the winter and shoulder seasons. They seem to be down now to a minimal schedule on SLC-PSP and I've had a lot of difficulty finding even decent fares in and out of the airport. I live in LA but am often in PSP on weekends and sometimes prefer to fly out of there instead of LAX. ONT used to be nice with a non-stop to ATL but that's gone now too. SLC is all you've got left for options from either PSP or ONT.
Completely agree. PSP has gotten very expensive, and forget about low award travel. ONT is also hit or miss with fares (meaning can be high). For the OP, the only reasonable transportation from LAX to the PS area is to rent a car, and it's a good 2 hour drive with no traffic. I have reduced my travel (both business and personal) to PSP due to this. If you really need to be there and end up needing to buy a ticket, I'd take a look at AA and UA. They are usually hundreds less than DL.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
I am going to a convention in PSP in Oct and booked an award ticket about 4 months ago at 1/2 low 1/2 med. DL has limited service there and prices in both $ and miles are fairly high. Good luck.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:46 am

Both the OP and I are trying to go in October...so you're the one who took all the cheap seats...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Both the OP and I are trying to go in October...so you're the one who took all the cheap seats...
I only took one seat, which is probably all they offered on those flights.

Perhaps we're all going to the same function.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
I only took one seat, which is probably all they offered on those flights.

Perhaps we're all going to the same function.
I'm heading to a family gathering, and need to go due to an overseas deployment. But at this point I think I'll end up on AA or UA.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
beautiful airport! anyway, don't forget about partner redemption (Alaska Air from SFO and SEA!)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgxoxo
beautiful airport! anyway, don't forget about partner redemption (Alaska Air from SFO and SEA!)
Totally forgot about Alaska. I'll check that. Is it best to look on their site for award seats?

I may just end up paying for a ticket. No way I can justify spending 60k miles on a domestic ticket. AA is about $200 cheaper right now thru DFW.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Completely agree. PSP has gotten very expensive, and forget about low award travel. ONT is also hit or miss with fares (meaning can be high). For the OP, the only reasonable transportation from LAX to the PS area is to rent a car, and it's a good 2 hour drive with no traffic. I have reduced my travel (both business and personal) to PSP due to this. If you really need to be there and end up needing to buy a ticket, I'd take a look at AA and UA. They are usually hundreds less than DL.
I'll be staying down in Palm Desert so the drive from LAX is not so appealing. Even ONT is pushing it.

Wonder why PSP is so expensive? Because the rich and famous like to visit??
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:54 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ronefatone

Wonder why PSP is so expensive? Because the rich and famous like to visit??
Limited air service from all carriers, really, and particularly in high and shoulder season there are some special events that can push the limits of the airport's daily arrivals/departures. Delta, AFAIK, only serves it with CRJ (maybe the rare CR7 now that the CRJs are going to be leaving the fleet).

Definitely check AS availability. That can be done on DL.com, or on AA.com and AS.com (then force the connections on DL.com). They serve PSP from SEA, PDX, SMF, SFO and SJC.

When searching for AS awards on DL.com I always find it best to first find the DL flights I need via multi-city search, then re-do the search with multi-city to add the AS segments. AS always prices at the low rate, so check which gateway has DL flights available at the low rate and you should be good to go.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Can you tell me more about this drive? If I were to get in around noon on a Thursday and make the drive over, what can I expect? How about getting back to LAX by 7 am on a Sunday?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 3:01 pm

Can you tell me more about this drive? If I were to get in around noon on a Thursday and make the drive over, what can I expect? How about getting back to LAX by 7 am on a Sunday?
I used to fly into to ONT all the time when going to Palm Springs. Hit I-10 and as you leave the congestion of the Inland Empire and get close to the San Bernadino Mtns it turns into a quite nice drive, with little traffic. Getting back on a Sunday at 7AM should be a breeze.

Don't know how the traffic is from LAX-ONT, but I imagine it would be considerably more brutal.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: PC Plat. Ambassador, DL PM
The drive on Thursday (LAX-PSP) will be hit or miss but certainly better than a Friday or holiday weekend. LA traffic is unpredictable at off peak hours but that route won't get predictably bad bad until around 3:00. You will have no problem getting back to LAX Sunday morning but it is about 135 miles, so you will need to leave at O-dark-30.

The drive from SNA-PSP is slightly closer than LAX and you can avoid the worst traffic. Perhaps you might have better prices there?

ONT is logistically the best option aside from PSP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.