Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Aerolineas Argentina Now Officially in Skyteam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aerolineas Argentina Now Officially in Skyteam

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
Despite my DL loyalty and preference, I can't abide a state-run, stripped-down airline with a horrible safety record and service reputation.
According to the Aviation Safety Database, the last fatal AR accident was an AVRO-748 back in 1970.

If only AF, CI, KE and SU could say the same... maybe it is time to stop the fear-mongering.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I don't know those folks alleging safety issues, but I would note that there has been some contentiousness between the employees of AR and the government over plans to privatize or at least rationalize the carrier. This would not be the first time that an employee (or former employee) of an airline alleged safety concerns in such a scenario.

Now, as for the service reputation, all indications are that it is very well-earned.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I don't know those folks alleging safety issues, but I would note that there has been some contentiousness between the employees of AR and the government over plans to privatize or at least rationalize the carrier. This would not be the first time that an employee (or former employee) of an airline alleged safety concerns in such a scenario.

Now, as for the service reputation, all indications are that it is very well-earned.
They have an ultra-modern fleet. As for their service standards, I cannot say, but hopefully, the process of joining ST will improve things if they had been below par. What I am really hoping for is that DL takes the AR flight from JFK and makes it DL metal. Or at least does the JFK ground handling.

And with the addition of dozens of domestic Argentinian destinations, maybe DL can operate service to/from EZE (even if just seasonal) to hubs like DTW as well, using aircraft that are not being used in the northern winter to Europe.

But nonetheless, the AR route map adds many more interesting and beautiful places to the ST overall system. And for a good many of us, the addition of AR will add more benefit than we saw from the addition of ME or SV.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Yay, another sub-par (with respect to reliability and service) airlines gets to join Skyteam because the other two, much stronger alliances do not want them. Way to go Skyteam! Seriously cannot remeber the last time I was actually excited about an airline joining our "wonderful" alliance.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:04 pm

Most fool-proof way to avoid the fee is to not be an American.

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Yeah, the Points Hoarder podcast suggested that one of the hosts had recently spent just under 24 hours in EZE without paying the reciprocity fee. It may be a YMMV thing, however.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Now we just have to wait and see when DL updates the partners page to move AR into the SkyTeam section and reflect MQM earning.
Done. Still no ME or SV.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: Nada!
AA joining Skyteam

I was in Argentina last week and flew on AR. It is a not a good airline. Customer service is awful, flights are constantly late and they cancel flights on a whim. I had 6 flights canceled on me in 2 days while trying to get back to BA from Pategonia although 3 flights were on LAN. The only nice thing I can say about AR is that the planes are brand new and I do think they try a little harder to keep flights from EZE on time. Jorge Newberry-the domestic airport-is a joke for punctuality. The AR flight to Sydney supposedly is always late and stops in NZ and gets stuck in NZ a lot. I spoke with a Aussie who says that she would never fly it again after her last experience on that route.

I can not get very excited about AR joining Skyteam. It's too bad because there are some nice destinations in Argentina.

Last edited by sr_tipitinas; Aug 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Sorry to say this but some posters have been referring to Aerolineas as AA; it is actually AR.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: Nada!
I had to the $160 last week and did not see any other options. I doubt they would let you leave the airport without paying. They did the sme thing in Santiago.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by sr_tipitinas
I had to the $160 last week and did not see any other options. I doubt they would let you leave the airport without paying. They did the sme thing in Santiago.
Apparently it's possible with documentation of onward travel, etc. like in China: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...-in-argentina/

They also only collect the fee at EZE and AEP, so if one were to fly DL or AM to another South American country that doesn't charge a fee and then fly an AR route from that country to another Argentinian airport, you'd be free and clear. Not ideal if your goal is to get to a more remote part of Argentina by flying into EZE and connecting, but could make for an interesting award trip with a stopover in a different country and then maybe open jaw to get to Buenos Aires on a separate ticket or over land.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If you're curious how AR's long-haul product competes with other South American airlines (like LAN), this is a good TR from A.net: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/181790/

TLDR: not that great.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobertS975
... for many of us Deltamaniacs... more MQM travel earning opportunities ...

...all while earning MQMs with GOL...
Minor correction / clarification:

Careful about your MQMs on AR. Discounted domestic economy tickets only earn 25% MQMs, and regional/international earn 50%. Check DL.com for the details and fare classes.

Travel on GOL does not earn any DL MQMs. Only regular miles.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by RobertS975
What I am really hoping for is that DL takes the AR flight from JFK and makes it DL metal. Or at least does the JFK ground handling.
I don't think that AR flies to JFK anymore.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I don't think that AR flies to JFK anymore.
No, not according to a link to an AR route map I posted in another thread.

http://a248.g.akamai.net/7/248/25213...uelos/mapa.pdf

A check on schedules shows only AA and UA-operated non-stops JFK-EZE for the week starting 2 September.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by seychellesbound
I like the idea of a stopover in EZE enroute to SYD.....interesting. @:-) And it may be a nifty way to avoid YQ charged by VA
Good luck getting that not to price as US<->South America + South America<->Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.