Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Comfort my %&#@!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Seats in front of exit rows always have limited recline. We all know this.
Granted. But, because of that, they should not be touted as EC.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Seats in front of exit rows always have limited recline. We all know this.
Except the seat in question, which does NOT have limited recline despite being immediately in front of the 2R door.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by dcline414
Except the seat in question, which does NOT have limited recline despite being immediately in front of the 2R door.
+1

Sounds like the OP had a seat with a maintenance issue. Would not be the first time that such an issue has affected functionality of a seat (I've had the opposite problem: seat wouldn't stay upright PVG-NRT).
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by jeff30189
My issue is with how it is marketed and presented - without my SeatGuru decoder ring or a Rainman-esque recall of every airplane configuration in the fleet, I expect all EC seats to have identical specs. It is not what it is portrayed to be by reading Delta's own description of the product.
"Up to 50% more recline on selected flights" doesn't always mean you'll get it. Just that it's possible. I'd expect additional recline in all EC configs, but frequently less than the max.

The "3-4 inches extra legroom" doesn't require the same seat pitch differential. Those terms are not interchangeable, according to earlier posted explanations.

I think the product is fundamentally a gimmick. Variables like cushioning, bulkhead wall, windowless rows, proximity to lav and galley noise and the chance you'll score a two-seat, not three-seat row, make it an airborne raffle. Not that the recline/legroom differentials aren't conjectural enough.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zomba
+1

Sounds like the OP had a seat with a maintenance issue. Would not be the first time that such an issue has affected functionality of a seat (I've had the opposite problem: seat wouldn't stay upright PVG-NRT).
I'm surprised that DL didn't make you move or even IDB. Seats are required to remain upright for takeoff and landing as a safety issue, although there can be some debate about whether it's the safety of the person sitting in the seat or the safety of people in the row behind in case of an emergency evacuation.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm surprised that DL didn't make you move or even IDB. Seats are required to remain upright for takeoff and landing as a safety issue, although there can be some debate about whether it's the safety of the person sitting in the seat or the safety of people in the row behind in case of an emergency evacuation.
I can't seem to remember if it broke after t/o or was prior to the flight, but the plane was completely full. This was back before I had status, so it was a middle seat in steerage. It only reclined when I put weight on it though, so I could resolve the issue (mostly) but not leaning back during approach/landing. I told the FA during approach that the seat was broken (when my seat wouldn't stay 100% upright), it isn't like the Y recline is so generous on DL anyway (EC seats are a bit different).
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zomba
I can't seem to remember if it broke after t/o or was prior to the flight, but the plane was completely full. This was back before I had status, so it was a middle seat in steerage. It only reclined when I put weight on it though, so I could resolve the issue (mostly) but not leaning back during approach/landing. I told the FA during approach that the seat was broken (when my seat wouldn't stay 100% upright), it isn't like the Y recline is so generous on DL anyway (EC seats are a bit different).
Yeah, I remember at least once trying to hide a slightly broken seat when I didn't want to lose my upgrade.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by jeff30189
A nice agent in my originating SC put me in an Economy Comfort seat, and I'd rather be in a middle seat with the Kettles and a screaming baby on either side of me.
Is that Hyperbole ?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by LegalTender
"Up to 50% more recline on selected flights" doesn't always mean you'll get it. Just that it's possible. I'd expect additional recline in all EC configs, but frequently less than the max.

The "3-4 inches extra legroom" doesn't require the same seat pitch differential. Those terms are not interchangeable, according to earlier posted explanations.
For flights within the US and to/from Canada, Mexico, Central America, and the Carribean: 3-4" (7-10 cm) extra legroom/up to 50% more recline on select routes (JFK to/from SFO or LAX, and ATL to/from HNL)

No extra recline and 3-4" extra inches of legroom. Not a lot of ambiguity there.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:31 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation Hmmm...

I can only assume that you are a former Green Beret* or Navy Seal*???

*Because only an individual of this ilk could withstand this type of torture & still live to tell about it!!!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: DL GM, HHonors Diamond, UA Silver, A3 Gold
I flew on a 757 200 N yesterday and sat in 14 E. Like the OP's, my seat had very limited recline. I got a very convoluted apology from Delta and 3700 miles. The apology implied that the seat was broken, but 14 D reclined exactly as much as mine did. I am FO and choosing the seat was the result of an equipment change in the 24 hours before check-in and it didn't cost me anything, otherwise I would have been more upset.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
While we're on this... be careful of the bulkhead EC seats on a 738. Was looking at them the other day since I was in 4C, and there is not much legroom at all. Appeared to be a lot less than the other EC rows.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by rylan
While we're on this... be careful of the bulkhead EC seats on a 738. Was looking at them the other day since I was in 4C, and there is not much legroom at all. Appeared to be a lot less than the other EC rows.
i found the 738 bulkhead legroom to be quite acceptable, but then, i'm a bulkhead kind of guy. the bulkhead has a bend that makes the legroom work. i find it neither exceptionally good nor exceptionally bad as coach bulkheads go. plenty of room to use a laptop...

now, the shoulder room in the window seat is a different question, but that's just the 738 sucking in general.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Maybe it was the particular version of 738 I was on... but the EC bulkhead did not have any curve or cutouts at the feet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.