Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Isaac advance planning thread

Old Aug 23, 12, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec

This is the first time in my three years flying that a Hurricane is planning to impact my wife and I's travel so I need some help here.

I'm flying BOS-BTR on Monday and am now planning on being back well in advance. My wife is flying AVP-BTR on Tuesday evening. While it doesn't look like BTR will be impacted at the moment, my wife is driving to JAX from BTR on Wednesday. This will put her driving on i10 during the storm and she needs to be in JAX no later than wednesday evening.

Is there any chance DL will let her fly AVP-JAX on tuesday? Or should she just get off in ATL and rent a car to drive down to JAX?

Obviously a number of things can and will change between now and Tuesday night, but as someone who's grown up along the gulf coast I am quite the planner.
Old Aug 23, 12, 10:47 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
JAX almost certainly won't be impacted enough by the weather for DL to allow free flight changes. Based on the latest storm track, however, you may have a good shot of BTR having a travel change waiver. Even so, it probably won't happen until late in the weekend though, maybe allowing Mon-Wed changes for free.

Apparently the link for this graphic updates real-time as new info is available, so it doesn't correspond to the text above, but may still be a useful reference:

Last edited by dcline414; Aug 26, 12 at 10:24 am Reason: Added note about graphic being updated
Old Aug 23, 12, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

JAX almost certainly won't be impacted enough by the weather for DL to allow free flight changes.
Yea, based on the current path, JAX is safe. Which is good since she needs to be there. Her car is at our house in BTR and she was planning to drive from BTR to JAX on Wednesday. That doesn't look like it can happen no matter where the storm hits.

Basically I'm trying to see if on Tuesday they'll let her change the AVP-BTR to AVP-JAX.
Old Aug 23, 12, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
There is existing thread in TravelBuzz:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...da-sunday.html
Old Aug 23, 12, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have ATL-MCO-DTW-LAX soon (same PNR, but guessing its a split fare ATL-MCO, MCO-LAX). If Orlando is affected, will I be able to change to an ATL-LAX flight if it's on the same PNR?

Last edited by amolkold; Aug 24, 12 at 7:42 am Reason: .
Old Aug 23, 12, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Scotty but Isaac isn't hitting South Florida anymore and I'm fully prepared in BTR and in JAX for any major hurricane.

I'm more concerned about how DL will handle our travel at this point.
Old Aug 23, 12, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by lsugolfer View Post
Thanks, Scotty but Isaac isn't hitting South Florida anymore and I'm fully prepared in BTR and in JAX for any major hurricane.

I'm more concerned about how DL will handle our travel at this point.
Oh, good! Lucky for South Florida and there is no damaged at all. Hope everything will be smooth and bring it back to normal routine.
Old Aug 24, 12, 6:57 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
On a different note ..... Any ideas how to take advantage of the airline chaos that is sure to result? Mileage runs, VDB, etc? For instance, should I buy a ticket for a route that is sure to affected, thus maybe getting a refund and VDB on the later flights that will swamped (excuse the pun) when the stranded passengers try to get rebooked.

Last edited by RRDD; Aug 24, 12 at 7:02 am
Old Aug 24, 12, 7:05 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by RRDD View Post
On a different note ..... Any ideas how to take advantage of the airline chaos that is sure to result? Mileage runs, VDB, etc? For instance, should I buy a ticket for a route that is sure to affected, thus maybe getting a refund and VDB on the later flights that will swamped (excuse the pun) when the stranded passengers try to get rebooked.
Classy...
Old Aug 24, 12, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant

Last edited by jetta2.0t; Mar 21, 13 at 5:52 pm
Old Aug 24, 12, 9:48 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Please read the contents of the black box at the top of the image.

South FL and Jacksonville are certainly still in the crosshairs of this storm. Even a bit outside the white line can still be hit by the stormwall.

Also, keep in mind that the worst part of such a storm is ahead and to the right of the storm center so, for example, even though the eye may be over Orlando, Daytona coule be a-rockin'. If Isaac shoots up inside that cone's area over Florida, the east coast of Florida will be right in the middle of it.
Old Aug 24, 12, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
Even a bit outside the white line can still be hit by the stormwall.

Also, keep in mind that the worst part of such a storm is ahead and to the right of the storm center....
Also, based on the current track, this is forecast to impact ATL starting late next Tue through Sat. I guess the same logic applies that it will be spinning off strong storms on the right side, the outer bands of which could reach ATL before the storm falls apart. And if the depression follows the long term models, it will cause tropical downpours in ATL even after the winds die down.

That could be the bigger story for DL if it plays out like the forecast indicates.
Old Aug 24, 12, 10:53 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
dcline414 hit the nail on the head. I am traveling MKE-ATL-TPA Thursday morning and may change to go MKE-DTW-TPA. It does not take much to cause ATL to break down.
Old Aug 24, 12, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
The AVERAGE error in the NHC 5 day forecast is huge. So huge, you can count on the storm NOT being where they say it is going to be.
Old Aug 24, 12, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
This is the first time in my three years flying that a Hurricane is planning to impact my wife and I's travel so I need some help here.

I'm flying BOS-BTR on Monday and am now planning on being back well in advance. My wife is flying AVP-BTR on Tuesday evening. While it doesn't look like BTR will be impacted at the moment, my wife is driving to JAX from BTR on Wednesday. This will put her driving on i10 during the storm and she needs to be in JAX no later than wednesday evening.

Is there any chance DL will let her fly AVP-JAX on tuesday? Or should she just get off in ATL and rent a car to drive down to JAX?

Obviously a number of things can and will change between now and Tuesday night, but as someone who's grown up along the gulf coast I am quite the planner.
Even if you do get the weather waiver, I doubt DL will let you change from AVP-BTR to AVP-JAX for free, but I guess you can always ask. If that fails, to avoid driving in the worst of it, I would get off in ATL and rent a car to drive to JAX on Tuesday.

Search this Thread