Loads/Upgrade Chances JFK/MSP to SJU/AUA/GCM

Old Aug 22, 12, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United Premier Silver, SPG Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Loads/Upgrade Chances JFK/MSP to SJU/AUA/GCM

New FO here after flying the first half of this year and most of last year on Star. Need to take some vacation in the next 3-4 weeks. Was looking to fly from JFK or MSP to either SJU/AUA/GCM. I understand the potential for hurricanes and am willing to risk $150+fare difference if I need to make changes. I am also willing to fly Thursday nights/Friday anytime/Saturday mornings. Any thoughts on which routes historically will yield best upgrade chances or is this another one of those come back to us in a few months when you hit Gold deals? JFK-SJU seems to be pricing in around $250 and AUA/GCM is about double or a little more depending on the date.

Thanks for your expertise!
Old Aug 22, 12, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Considering the number of people on the MR forum doing MR to SJU, I am betting the front will be full of DM and PMs (if they are lucky). Us GM and FOs won't have much of a chance, I don't think.

Originally Posted by FlyMusic View Post
New FO here after flying the first half of this year and most of last year on Star. Need to take some vacation in the next 3-4 weeks. Was looking to fly from JFK or MSP to either SJU/AUA/GCM. I understand the potential for hurricanes and am willing to risk $150+fare difference if I need to make changes. I am also willing to fly Thursday nights/Friday anytime/Saturday mornings. Any thoughts on which routes historically will yield best upgrade chances or is this another one of those come back to us in a few months when you hit Gold deals? JFK-SJU seems to be pricing in around $250 and AUA/GCM is about double or a little more depending on the date.

Thanks for your expertise!
Old Sep 10, 12, 9:37 pm

New FO here too. Just got upgraded for my Wed. flight to JFK-SJU.
Old Sep 10, 12, 9:51 pm

ATL-SJU or SJU-ATL is a very easy upgrade for almost anyone. I have done these legs several times. One trip I did an SDC and was still immediately upgraded because X inventory was still open 3 hours prior to the flight (after all medallions, of any level, had cleared!). Another trip I did an SDC and did not get the immediate upgrade, however at the gate I was #1 of 2 on the upgrade list for 12 open seats.

If flying out of MSP, the MSP-ATL or ATL-MSP legs will be impossible for an FO, so be prepared for that. However you can expect smooth sailing to and from SJU.

(As a side note, be sure to check out expertflyer to check the loads and upgrade availability for your dates. Also, I generally find the B767 flights to be the easiest to upgrade on.)
Old Sep 10, 12, 11:19 pm

Programs: Sky Team Plat, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Plat
AUA has been pretty good for me over the past few years
Old Sep 11, 12, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Thats great news as I am booked from LAX-JFK-SJU on Sept 25/26 (red eye to NYC) and SJU-ATL-MSP-LAX on September 29th.

I am piggy backing off a business trip from MSP to LAX and using it as a positioning flight.

I will be PM by then, hoping to catch upgrades on most (keeping fingers crossed)

Search this Thread