booking on DL.com from overseas

Old Aug 19, 12, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
I played with ITA later and determined that this is down to the point-of-sale, as I could replicate the fare the PM agent was quoting by setting the POS to the US.
Yes, airline fares and fare rules can vary by country of purchase even for the same fare bucket. It's another reason to answer 'Look at the rules of your specific fare' when somebody asks here about cancellation and refundability.
Old Aug 21, 12, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1.83MM
As others have noted a quick Skype call to the PM/DM line will get your CC charged in USD for a ticket originating outside the USA, even though the ticket itself will be priced in a foreign currency. If you are not PM/DM, I would try calling the delta.com helpline; reportedly sometimes the agent booking fee is waived if you are dealing with a website issue.

One upside to tickets being priced in a foreign currency is that the change fee has been lower. TATL coach fares in Y typically cost $250 to change ex-USA, but 150 EUR to change ex-Europe (which is around $190 these days). This is automatic. I once had an agent (on the PM or DM line, don't recall) try to charge me $250 for an ex-SVO Y fare, and the system override her and charged me the USD equivalent of 150 EUR instead.
Old Aug 21, 12, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by eheinz View Post
One upside to tickets being priced in a foreign currency is that the change fee has been lower. TATL coach fares in Y typically cost $250 to change ex-USA, but 150 EUR to change ex-Europe (which is around $190 these days). This is automatic. I once had an agent (on the PM or DM line, don't recall) try to charge me $250 for an ex-SVO Y fare, and the system override her and charged me the USD equivalent of 150 EUR instead.
Ex-UK are generally 100, and I lucked out and had an agent just assume that it should be euros and charged me EUR100 instead of 100, so double win
Old Aug 21, 12, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM MM - IHG Spire
This "enhancement" actually costs DL $$

Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
My tickets ex-LON were usually issued as LONWEB in Sterling. It used to be possible to get things to it to price in USD when logged in to an account with a US address, but at some point that was enhanced away.
I am in the same boat and this "enhancement" is totally annoying. If I book a TATL ticket from a US-based company with a US credit card, why do they insist on charging me in GBP? I get hit with a conversion fee from AmEx one direction and DL gets hit with one as well the other way. Totally stupid, so I book my tickets via Expedia, Travelocity, etc. since they will bill me in USD.

DL make not think correcting this "enhancement" is a priority, but in addition to all the conversion (and re-conversion fees) that I and DL have to pay, wouldn't it be cheaper for DL to sell me a ticket directly than me going to Expedia, Travelocity, etc?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: