Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta slashes mileage earning on unpublished and group fares: 01 September 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta slashes mileage earning on unpublished and group fares: 01 September 2012

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 12:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
I had a situation that was about the opposite. We had an overseas project our company put people in business class but had a guy who wanted miles. We used a consolidator add it saved 35-65%. He called and made such an issue that his boss was called and it was explained that the trouble he was causing was not worth it and they were dropped from the contract. They list a multi million dollar deal list over ff miles. Be careful you don't alienate the customer or worse. Sometimes we forget it is the clients money and choice unless previously negotiated.
Old May 16, 2013, 2:35 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by acvitale
I had a situation that was about the opposite. We had an overseas project our company put people in business class but had a guy who wanted miles. We used a consolidator add it saved 35-65%. He called and made such an issue that his boss was called and it was explained that the trouble he was causing was not worth it and they were dropped from the contract. They list a multi million dollar deal list over ff miles. Be careful you don't alienate the customer or worse. Sometimes we forget it is the clients money and choice unless previously negotiated.
Good lesson. Some people feel it is OK to spend a lot more money just for the miles (or for the perks). Often it is not.
Old May 16, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL SkyClub, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by acvitale
Be careful you don't alienate the customer or worse. Sometimes we forget it is the clients money and choice unless previously negotiated.
^

Totally, completely, absolutely, without question agree--especially when dealing with overseas companies whose sensitivity to such things runs higher than that here at home.
Old May 16, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by PaperQueen
That was actually my second request on this ticket, since the first was choice of airline--they have partner/sponsorship deals with EVA and China Air, which they wanted me to fly instead. EVA would have meant no MQMs...CA would have meant only 50%
Just FYI, CA is Air China, a Star Alliance carrier based in Beijing. China Airlines (Skyteam and based in Taipei) is CI.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
^

Totally, completely, absolutely, without question agree--especially when dealing with overseas companies whose sensitivity to such things runs higher than that here at home.
^^

At some point, cost will trump all. For the right price, I'd drop the elite race altogether.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hertz Gold PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this a small local travel agent or a branch of some of the big ones such as AmEx, Carlson-Wagonlit, AAA, etc.?
My TA is from small local agency...

As always, FlyerTalk members are amazing.

If, however, the price is close (or the same), I'll insist on published fares. Sure, it's nice to get a trip to Taipei on someone else's dime, but if that dime costs me 7,000+ MQMs, I might be "inspired" to noodge a bit harder.

This really stinks.
In my case (SAN-ICN-SAN) the price difference ("published" versus "agency" fare) was $67.

Client didn't say. They're (client) an Asian organization, so there's only so far I can question things without risking stepped on toes (or worse, burned bridges).

My guess is this wasn't one of the big national chains--most likely a NY-area consolidator with a handful of offices that specializes in Asian travel.
You should check where the ticket was actually booked. The same page about special fares has a remark about "special fare" tickets bought in Asia:
Special / unpublished Fares purchased in the Asia Pacific Region are excluded and will continue to earn full mileage based on
SkyMiles program rules. See terms and conditions for the definition of the Asia Pacific Region.
Old May 20, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by fti

It might be a consolidator fare, but it might also be a contract that the agency has with the airline (Delta in this case) for override commissions. The belief by most of the (uninformed) traveling public, including many on FT, is that travel agency commissions from airlines stopped years ago. That is absolutely not true, especially for international flights.
Many of the cheapest fares are not commissionable and are identified as such in the fare rules. However, less restrictive/more expensive fare classes usually are (even domestic). However, maybe this goes out the window with consolidator/group fares.
Old May 20, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by fti
Good lesson. Some people feel it is OK to spend a lot more money just for the miles (or for the perks). Often it is not.
+1

Often it is just not worth the cost (monetary, or worse product, schedule, etc.) to earn one's preferred FF miles. And plus, any serious traveller will likely have an active FF account in all three major alliances. FF miles are same as any other investment, and it pays to diversify. (Combined with miles earned in some programs such as SPG, Chase UR and AmEx MR via CC spend (vs. any airline specific CC spend earn), that can be transferred, among the three combined, to any major airline, and then any program that is short of the required miles can be easily topped off.) The "perks" of status are rapidly eroding accross all programs and the value of such, while different for different travellers, of course, should not be over-estimated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.