Wiki Posts
Search

Duty free in SYD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM, Hilton-Dia
Duty free in SYD

It has been 3 years since I flew into SYD. On the LAX - SYD filght do we pass through Duty Free in SYD? It seems like there was an opportunity to make a purchase incomming from LAX after landing in SYD, but after that long flight I may have just dreamed that. Does anyone know?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:53 pm

I passed through the duty free shop in SYD after a Qantas flight (also from LAX) and the prices are usually 20-30% higher than those you see in the States. I know for certain that passengers traveling on international flights from the US all have to go through the duty free shop to reach baggage claim.

Last edited by dshargorodsky; Aug 16, 2012 at 1:49 pm Reason: Corrected
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by 1Banker
It has been 3 years since I flew into SYD. On the LAX - SYD filght do we pass through Duty Free in SYD? It seems like there was an opportunity to make a purchase incomming from LAX after landing in SYD, but after that long flight I may have just dreamed that. Does anyone know?
Yes, you pass through duty free just before Customs on arrival at SYD. Not as large as the duty free area after exit customs and security on the way out, but probably big enough (though I've never slowed down to see what they have).
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL KM (charter)
There are two duty-free areas at SYD international.

One duty-free area is in the arrivals hall for after your flights into SYD (prior to immigration & baggage & customs).

One duty-free area in the departures hall after you clear immigration & customs and after check-in for your return flights out of SYD.

Of course, there are many duty-free shoppes all around the major cities as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.