Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consensus on the Delta 777 business class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
On a long flight (>8 hrs) I will take the 777 over any non lie flat, and take it over the non direct access lie flats also.

For me,the issue is an undisturbed sleep, and the single aisles are perfect for me.

For shorter flights, I agree that room becomes more an issue, as the value of space over sleep comes into play. But it is not that big of a deal. For work, everything I use is electronic (and this is the case for many others).

I am certain I will like the new 747 better when I fly it in a few months, but as of now the 777 works better than most other seats (that I can afford), certainly better than the PMNW WBC seats of all forms.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
On a long flight (>8 hrs) I will take the 777 over any non lie flat, and take it over the non direct access lie flats also.

For me,the issue is an undisturbed sleep, and the single aisles are perfect for me.

For shorter flights, I agree that room becomes more an issue, as the value of space over sleep comes into play. But it is not that big of a deal. For work, everything I use is electronic (and this is the case for many others).

I am certain I will like the new 747 better when I fly it in a few months, but as of now the 777 works better than most other seats (that I can afford), certainly better than the PMNW WBC seats of all forms (though the WBC 747 were previously my favorite seats fleet wide).
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Thanks! Now I do, and will keep in mind not to fly AC A330 or 767 then. (Though there at least the seats look better than Delta and have higher quality, not just the cheap and uncomfortable hot faux leather that DL uses (which is again just a cost-saving measure, using it to save costs on seat cleaning, at the expense of passenger comfort). Same seat, but at least for sitting more comfortable as it has higher quality fabric that breathes at least, not the cheap DL faux (I think) leather.)
I'll take the cleanable, unbacteriaized, sparkly leather (faux or not) seats any day over any fabric seats. Some of those fabric seats are ok because of the breathing but there have been reports of some of them snoring loudly on overnight flights.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
I'll take the cleanable, unbacteriaized, sparkly leather (faux or not) seats any day over any fabric seats. Some of those fabric seats are ok because of the breathing but there have been reports of some of them snoring loudly on overnight flights.
The seats are snoring? Wow, then may be they are alive!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by kerbo
I disagree, unless you are short and sleep on your back.

I'm only 6'1" and never have slept well in the seats. The problems:

1. The seat is oval shaped like a coffin and that is your bed. It would have been better if the seat was more rectangular like a bed.

2. The top of the seat lays flat in a plastic shell with space between the shell walls and the cushion. If you try to sleep on your stomach, your arms fall into the deep space between the shell and the seat cushion. Drove me crazy. The space should be filled with cushions the same thickness as the seat.

3. The bottom of the seat narrows at the end except the end is not symmetrical. As a result, to find room for your toes, you have to lie angled to the center line.

Honestly, I think the seat designers were more focused on design than function. This is apparent when you discover there is no place to store much of anything in the seat area.

Anyway, I find the lie flat seats in the 767's work better for me.
Cathay does refer to the seat as the coffin seat, and they use a similar model.

I sleep well in this seat, granted I am 5'10", but I loved it when DL had the oversized pillows. I also sleep on my stomach, and the shell doesn't bother so it is very personal. At times, if I can get extra pillows, I will move further up and place my head on the sans cushion portion of the seat, with pillow of course, that makes it more bed like to me as my feet won't be that confined.

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
But one has to remember that when the decision to equip the 777s with flat-beds was made (in the 2007-2008 timeframe), there were not too many flat-bed options out there that would provide direct aisle access for every seat given the 777's width. The new 744 seat was not an option back then, and the Thompson Vantage seats (those on the 767s) on the 777 would have meant some seats having no direct aisle access.

The 777-200LRs were the first ones to get flat-beds (directly from the factory) so with the lead time required to order the beds, as I said, there were not too many options. Once these bed seats were installed on the 772LRs, they pretty much had to use the same ones on the 777-200ERs (even though by the time the ERs underwent conversion, other options such as the 744 seat could have been ordered).
+1. This seat was in vogue back at the time when they started the change over, and a number of airlines are using this configuration: Cathay Pacific, Jet Airways, Air Canada, Delta.

I personally love the seat, but I am looking forward to trying the new 74S seat this Thursday!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
HATE the 777 BE. In fact, even turned down a domestic upgrade. If you want to feel like you're sleeping in a coffin, this is for you. And if you're tall like me, they'll have to break your ankles with the off center foot rest.

Anything you want to read or store is behind you, in for coffin position. . . in the fully recline position. Then try to find a place for that big pillow and duvet?

No arm space, no place to set down a drink, and if you're tall, plan on getting your feet slammed.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 6:18 am
k2

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Thanks! Now I do, and will keep in mind not to fly AC A330 or 767 then. (Though there at least the seats look better than Delta and have higher quality, not just the cheap and uncomfortable hot faux leather that DL uses (which is again just a cost-saving measure, using it to save costs on seat cleaning, at the expense of passenger comfort). Same seat, but at least for sitting more comfortable as it has higher quality fabric that breathes at least, not the cheap DL faux (I think) leather.)
It's the same on AC's 777s.

VS was the first to introduce these seats, although the VS seat remains superior to DL, AC, 9W and others because it flips over to create the bed. The bed-side of the seat has more padding (plus they give you an extra mattress topper). VS tried suing the seat manufacturer for infringing their IP by selling to other airlines, but that appears to have failed.

AC and 9W implementations are identical to DL, but cloth (which I happen to prefer over pleather); I haven't flown the others. I think the AC and 9W IFE screens are larger than DL, but I could be wrong.

Given the criteria of flat-bed and direct aisle access, these seats were state-of-the-art when they were implemented. Now, a few years later, there are clearly better options; but as Clipper said DL had no choice but to continue rolling them out to the rest of the 777 fleet.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
you WILL enjoy the 747 lie-flats

I had the pleasure of flying on a refurbed 747, JFK-TLV, and it was the most comfortable flight I have ever had. Also posted a record (for me) non-stop sleep time of around 5 hr. I have flown all lie-flat DL seats except 777, but many of the complaints I am reading here about 777 BE are the same complaints I have about the 767 lie flats, especially the 767-400. The 'coffin' experience is huge there. I have no complaints whatsoever about the 747 except that there aren't many flying. I am considering a personal trip next year that would involve LAX-SYD, but it is a 777. I am rethinking the carrier now after reading this.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Upstairs on a refurbed 747 is a great seat. I'm not much of a plane sleeper, but I slept all the way from NRT to LAX a few months ago.

The 777 aren't bad, but some are showing their age. AVOD needs an update like the 747 model, padding needs to be replaced, etc. Not sure when they are due a refresh, but the sooner the better.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
A Tip for Better Sleep in Lie Flats

On long distance flights, be aware that heavy jets fly for many hours at a noticeable nose-high attitude (angle of attack). This can be quite noticeable and uncomfortable if you put your seat into the flat position as your head will actually be lower than your feet. I go flat and then I raise the head until I don't feel "upside down".

As the flight proceeds and burns off fuel, the angle of attack becomes more neutral.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:42 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by RobertS975
On long distance flights, be aware that heavy jets fly for many hours at a noticeable nose-high attitude (angle of attack). This can be quite noticeable and uncomfortable if you put your seat into the flat position as your head will actually be lower than your feet. I go flat and then I raise the head until I don't feel "upside down".

As the flight proceeds and burns off fuel, the angle of attack becomes more neutral.
This is so very true, and this then explains why I felt that I was sliding down towards my head on the DL 777 and had to adjust the head to be higher than the rest just to 'feel' flat (took a while to get it right). Otherwise, the only thing worse than 'sliding down' towards ones feet (747 WBC, A330 WBC seats) is 'sliding up' towards the head (DL 777), that renders sleep or any rest practically impossible (until you get the angle just right; don't settle for the fully flat position).

Also this is one big + for lie-flat rear-facing seats, such as on BA for example: as there the heat being towards the front, it is very comfortable and the angle is just right (speaking from experience). It also makes for a more comfortable descent, as then you are getting the recline you are otherwise forbidden to have during the whole descent time (that is usually rather lengthy). Rear-facing seats are really the way to go for the best comfort in a business class cabin.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: Delta DM, SP Plat, Hilton Gold

Another tip I found useful: grab a second duvet if possible when going overseas. Use that underneath you to sleep on. Waaaaay more comfortable.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:47 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by k2
It's the same on AC's 777s.

VS was the first to introduce these seats, although the VS seat remains superior to DL, AC, 9W and others because it flips over to create the bed. The bed-side of the seat has more padding (plus they give you an extra mattress topper). VS tried suing the seat manufacturer for infringing their IP by selling to other airlines, but that appears to have failed.

AC and 9W implementations are identical to DL, but cloth (which I happen to prefer over pleather); I haven't flown the others. I think the AC and 9W IFE screens are larger than DL, but I could be wrong.

Given the criteria of flat-bed and direct aisle access, these seats were state-of-the-art when they were implemented. Now, a few years later, there are clearly better options; but as Clipper said DL had no choice but to continue rolling them out to the rest of the 777 fleet.
My understanding is that NZ uses a licensed version of the VS seat, complete with the flipover action, while the others are all an "unlicensed" version without the flipover. Haven't flown NZ myself but can say there are advantages to both the VS version and the DL version: VS version is rather uncomfortable for lounging, as it doesn't recline very far at all, but you can recline during taxi, takeoff and landing, which is kind of nice. Of course, VS has also just introduced a new seat, not sure how much it has in common with their old one.

As for DL 777 vs DL 747, there is after all a reason that CX, which had just installed DL's 777 J seat fleet-wide a few years ago, is now tearing them out in favor of DL's 747 J seat. I flew CX's new J seat, similar to DL's 747 J seat, recently, and it is truly lovely. Lots of personal space, very comfortable to sleep in, and tons and tons of little cabinets and spaces to stash stuff.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
An aspect that I haven't seen raised here (apologies if missed) is how the seat stacks up if you are traveling with a companion. Having recently done the ATL-JNB round trip with Mrs FTF, we did find the DL 777 versions particularly hard to have much eye contact or discussion, compared to other modern J seats.

We had the middle, which isn't usually great but is usually as good as it gets, but I guess they are just angled out more than some of the other (generally similar) variations on the theme.

No one wants to go back to recliners, but the one nice thing about them was it's better on vacation with your significant other. (Obviously, biz travel can be different.)

Agree that it can be a bit hard to feel good in the "full coffin" position, especially when the nose is high, but that pretty much comes with the territory of all these "pod" seats - leaving aside some of the full F ones where the increased space around your head and body makes it a bit less claustrophobic.

FTF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.