FAQ: Upgrading with Delta and SkyMiles

Old Oct 21, 12, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jkatzen View Post
Thanks for all the work you've put into the thread so far. But that post of yours only refers to SWU or complimentary Medallion upgrades. Nothing about mileage.
Gotcha. Someone else can probably confirm/deny, but I thought it was the same as the SWU.

Old Oct 21, 12, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by jkatzen View Post
Thanks for all the work you've put into the thread so far. But that post of yours only refers to SWU or complimentary Medallion upgrades. Nothing about mileage.
You cannot be upgraded on the gate waitlist using miles, only SWU. The list of priority codes only applies for upgrades processed at the gate.
Old Nov 29, 12, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please update post #3 with the following link to the upgrade award info:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...de-awards.html
Old Nov 29, 12, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
Please update post #3 with the following link to the upgrade award info:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...de-awards.html
Done - thanks, dieuwer2!
Old Dec 7, 12, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
You cannot be upgraded on the gate waitlist using miles, only SWU. The list of priority codes only applies for upgrades processed at the gate.
Some gate agents will do it if they have time, esp. on non-V-availability routes like Hawaii (not sure about transoceanic international). I've had agents also say they've seen someone else do it, but don't know the code. I'd love to be able to say, "It's code XXXX."

I've also had other agents, especially in Atlanta, flatly deny me the option of using a mileage upgrade at the gate, as that appears to be the official policy (not sure why -- NWA used to allow it, and I'm not sure I could think of a good business reason for distinguishing them from other upgrade types at the gate). It certainly makes life difficult for us Hawaii-based FFs.
Old Dec 27, 12, 4:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Club Carlson Gold, Hertz PC
If I want to upgrade with miles, does there have to be G/Z inventory available at the time of my request? My situation is that I have a flight next month SEA-ATL that I booked a K fare, but no G/Z inventory is available (although I think they may open some up in the next few days). I'd like to just have DL code in my request for mileage upgrade, much like a SWU is coded in. And then it would just sit on there until G is opened up. Is this possible? To be fair, I already called and asked DL, CSR told me it is not possible... but maybe if I play phone agent roulette I'll win? Anybody have any luck with this?
Old Dec 27, 12, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pleasantsn View Post
If I want to upgrade with miles, does there have to be G/Z inventory available at the time of my request? My situation is that I have a flight next month SEA-ATL that I booked a K fare, but no G/Z inventory is available (although I think they may open some up in the next few days). I'd like to just have DL code in my request for mileage upgrade, much like a SWU is coded in. And then it would just sit on there until G is opened up. Is this possible? To be fair, I already called and asked DL, CSR told me it is not possible... but maybe if I play phone agent roulette I'll win? Anybody have any luck with this?
I thought you could wailist on a miles upgrade. However, unlike SWU waitlists, miles upgrades cannot be done at the gate...nor do they put you higher on the gate upgrade list. I'd keep monitoring Expert Flyer.
Old Dec 27, 12, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Yes you can waitlist for an upgrade with miles, just like with SWU. Difference is, as mentioned above, that mile upgrades won't clear at the gate and won't get you any higher upgrade list priority at the gate... it will go by your medallion status if it doesn't clear ahead of time.

Call up again and request a to be put on the waitlist for mile upgrade. Since you're over a month out, it is possible some inventory may open up as you thought.
Old Dec 27, 12, 6:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Yes you can waitlist for an upgrade with miles, just like with SWU. Difference is, as mentioned above, that mile upgrades won't clear at the gate and won't get you any higher upgrade list priority at the gate... it will go by your medallion status if it doesn't clear ahead of time.

Call up again and request a to be put on the waitlist for mile upgrade. Since you're over a month out, it is possible some inventory may open up as you thought.
However, I would suggest monitoring upgrade inventory as it isn't clear how often DL upgrades from the waiatlist.
Old Dec 27, 12, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Club Carlson Gold, Hertz PC
Thanks for the responses everyone! I figured the CSR was wrong. In any case, I'll just wait for my EF seat alert to buzz me.
Old Dec 27, 12, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL PM as of 12/8/2016
Originally Posted by pleasantsn View Post
play agent roulette. I tried to use my miles to UG a friend on a K fare recently and although G/Z inventory wasn't available at the time, the agent did put me on a request wait list. After this is done, you will see the UG request when you login to your SM account on the app or through Dl.dumb.
Old Dec 27, 12, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rwoman View Post
I thought you could wailist on a miles upgrade. However, unlike SWU waitlists, miles upgrades cannot be done at the gate...nor do they put you higher on the gate upgrade list. I'd keep monitoring Expert Flyer.
This is correct, you can WL UG with miles up to 24 hours when it goes to airport control. At 24 hours it goes to a standby priority WL which only SWU's work.

Keep in mind, just because Z opens up doesn't mean you (or anyone else) will clear at that time. Best is to call DL when it opens up.
Old Jan 5, 13, 10:50 pm

Programs: United Airlines 1K, Hilton Honors Gold, Starwood Hotels
I am new to DL, so in order to get upgraded with miles intra-Asia or internationally you need to buy at least M? Also do you still earn MQMs? Sorry if I sound ignorant but this seems very different from United. Not a complaint but I don't want to make a mistake and not get credit.
Old Jan 6, 13, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UlyssesPSA View Post
I am new to DL, so in order to get upgraded with miles intra-Asia or internationally you need to buy at least M? Also do you still earn MQMs? Sorry if I sound ignorant but this seems very different from United. Not a complaint but I don't want to make a mistake and not get credit.
To UG internationally with miles you need YBM fare, so you already get 50% MQM bonus. You won't get more even in paid J.
Old Jan 15, 13, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

With the dl.com update, there were some broken links. I think I've fixed all of them. I also added mnredfox's thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html.

If I've missed anything, please let me know!

Thanks,
robin

Search this Thread