FAQ: Upgrading with Delta and SkyMiles

Old Aug 3, 12, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Premium Voyageur to Affaires upgrade

FYI, I have posted a detailed procedure based on my experience on "How to upgrade pv=>affaires" in the thread :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ce-klm-49.html

Post #725

I'm trying to include other posters' experience in the post as people reply to the thread
Old Aug 5, 12, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
All,

Hello - I've updated this with additional suggestions provided this far. Please continue to provide input and I'll update accordingly!

Thanks!
robin
Old Sep 10, 12, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
I know SWU UG for DM's is UP2A-DM. What is it for mileage UG's? Want to make sure it is encoded properly.
Old Sep 15, 12, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Added in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...premium-w.html thread for future reference.
Old Sep 15, 12, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that DL's definitions of international and domestic can be idiosyncratic for upgrade purposes. For example, Canada and even sometimes northern South America are treated like domestic but normal domestic upgrades might not be offered on flights to/from Hawaii. Be very careful to check whether domestic or international rules (or neither, as in the case of Hawaii) apply for your itinerary.
Old Sep 15, 12, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rwoman View Post
Added in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...premium-w.html thread for future reference.
Has this been confirmed officially by anyone? SMI?
Old Sep 17, 12, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Has this been confirmed officially by anyone? SMI?
AFAIK, no, it has not...I just included it since the discussion is "out there..."
Old Sep 17, 12, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Note that DL's definitions of international and domestic can be idiosyncratic for upgrade purposes. For example, Canada and even sometimes northern South America are treated like domestic but normal domestic upgrades might not be offered on flights to/from Hawaii. Be very careful to check whether domestic or international rules (or neither, as in the case of Hawaii) apply for your itinerary.
Very good point - I'll look including related verbage in the thread!
Old Sep 17, 12, 11:23 am

Recently waitlisted for TATL flight for UG. Domestic portion cleared into Z (domestic part is marketed as business hence Z), but EF said before the UG cert was added that there was no Z available per EF.

Also had an instant clear into SFO-JFK the other week from Y fare, even though no X existed. Are the UG odds just in my favor these days? Definitely not complaining....
Old Sep 18, 12, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Recently waitlisted for TATL flight for UG. Domestic portion cleared into Z (domestic part is marketed as business hence Z), but EF said before the UG cert was added that there was no Z available per EF.

Also had an instant clear into SFO-JFK the other week from Y fare, even though no X existed. Are the UG odds just in my favor these days? Definitely not complaining....
A full Y fare should instantly clear into FC if V (not G as for upgrades with instruments) is available. IME V inventory is more likely before the DM window and after the G which was released early is gone but not replaced. In this case, the SWU should not be pulled unless you are also upgrading another flight with the SWU in the same direction on that itinerary.
Old Oct 19, 12, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
What are the codes for mileage upgrades into G? Are there different codes for various elite levels?
Old Oct 19, 12, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jkatzen View Post
What are the codes for mileage upgrades into G? Are there different codes for various elite levels?
For a domestic upgrade, you need a K fare or higher to upgrade into G/Z. Expert Flyer is one took for looking to see if G or Z is open.

It is not different for each medallion level.
Old Oct 20, 12, 3:09 am

For a domestic upgrade, you need a K fare or higher to upgrade into G/Z. Expert Flyer is one took for looking to see if G or Z is open.

It is not different for each medallion level.
That's not what I mean. I'm quite aware of the fare classes. I'm talking about the upgrade codes applied to one's record for purpose of priority as indicated earlier in this thread.
Old Oct 20, 12, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jkatzen View Post
That's not what I mean. I'm quite aware of the fare classes. I'm talking about the upgrade codes applied to one's record for purpose of priority as indicated earlier in this thread.
Oh! See post 3 - I believe what you're looking for is there!

Old Oct 21, 12, 6:30 am

Oh! See post 3 - I believe what you're looking for is there!

Thanks for all the work you've put into the thread so far. But that post of yours only refers to SWU or complimentary Medallion upgrades. Nothing about mileage.

Domestic Upgrade Priority: (Thank you LedgeT - SWU madness...., LINK)
UP2A - DM desiring to use SWU
UP2B - PM desiring to use SWU
UP2 - Full Y medallion desiring comp upgrade
UP3D - DM desiring comp upgrade
UP3 - PM desiring comp upgrade
UP4 - GM desiring comp upgrade
UP5 - FO desiring comp upgrade
UP6 - Companion or AS/AF/KL elite desiring comp upgrade
UP7 - Psgr on award ticket booked in R/O and confirmed in coach
SBUP - Delta paid standby upgrade program

Search this Thread