FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   FAQ: Delta Aircraft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1373407-faq-delta-aircraft.html)

ricardobtg Apr 24, 2013 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPremex (Post 20645739)
On Delta, the perks of the same seat seen on Swiss were simply not there. The distance between rows was tighter, but not to a point where it felt cramped. But my feet definitely hit the end of the foot compartment in full recline mode. In addition, the foot compartment on Delta was incredibly tight to the point where I could not lay in certain positions without contorting my feet into uncomfortable positions so that they fit into the space. And without the ability to lower an arm rest, sleeping on my back was just too tight. Only was to sleep in these seats (for me) was on my side, with a slight bend in my knees so that I could fit comfortably.

I just did a roundtrip on the new 767 to Haneda and took note of which seats suffer from the smaller foot space. I was in 9D and my companion in 9C. My companion in 9C noted that the foot space was much tighter than his previous experiences on the 767-400. On the other hand, while my experience had mirrored yours before, I was now very comfortable in the window seat and had plenty of space for my feet, although I always made an effort to "move up" in the seat so that I had space left over at the bottom of the seat when fully reclined.

So it seems that one seat in each row of center seats gets the smaller foot space (the seat with the foot space that isn't next to the aisle). This means that in odd rows, seat C has the narrow foot space and in even rows, seat B has the narrow space. The other seat in the middle rows or the side seats do not have this problem as the foot space isn't squeezed in between two seats.

It's a bit confusing but I hope it helps.

MichaelKade Apr 24, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm in 5A ATL-LHR (10:30p) next month... seems like a good choice for privacy and sleeping.

mtkeller Apr 24, 2013 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelKade (Post 20646681)
I'm in 5A ATL-LHR (10:30p) next month... seems like a good choice for privacy and sleeping.

I liked that seat on the 764 when I had it this summer westbound. I got three hours of sleep on a daytime flight, and I never sleep on daytime flights. However, it was remarkably helpful to combatting jetlag, as I was able to stay up to a normal hour and get onto US time immediately instead of crashing several hours early.

emrdoc Apr 24, 2013 2:40 pm

I always choose 5D when flying solo.

mcmitchell Apr 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by emrdoc (Post 20646819)

So do I. That's what I have for my red eye tonight from LAX. I've tried 1D, but the galley noise/lights are annoying when I want to sleep.

GYEWorldTraveler Apr 24, 2013 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by JBJ2435 (Post 20645214)
Just flew this on Saturday, in 1A. Lavs were behind BE, but the noise from the galley was disturbing from 1A, especially close to landing, banging dishes around, putting things away in closets, etc. Also, not much room between seat and wall and with the arm rest (way too big in my opinion) at the aisle, not as easy to get in/out of seat area... I would choose differently next time...

Doesn't sound like you flew on a 767-300 with the flatbeds. The lavs are all at the front on the newly modified 76T, 76L and 76Z variants. If the lavs were at the back, the only possibility is that you were on a 767-400 (764) if the plane had flatbeds. A 764 would also help explain your noise complaint from 1A as there is far less space between 1A and the forward galley than on the 767-300s where you have closets, the restroom and then the galley in front of you.

FlyAO2 Apr 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller (Post 20646005)
Row 1 has more foot room because there's a cutout in the bulkhead instead of having to go under the console table for the seat in front of you.

I have found that this makes a pretty big difference, but the noise from the galleys is annoying. There is less noise on a 763 vs. a 764 (galley is further away), but that benefit is negated by the bathrooms being up front so you have more activity by your seats.

Those new bathrooms on the 763 are very nice though - sensor faucets!

mnredfox Apr 24, 2013 7:06 pm

1A. Private bulkhead, window view, first off the plane.

rwoman Apr 25, 2013 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by gb88 (Post 20638989)
What I never can anticipate is what the under-the-seat configuration will be like and whether or not I can fit my carry on under the seat. On some planes the media equipment reduces the height. On other planes the metal support bars only allow for a carry on under one seat, with the other space so narrow it could only hold a purse or narrow bag. I'd love to know this information in advance, if possible.

This information is integrated into some of the discussions for each a/c type. As I have time, I can highlight it as well.

slipbeer Apr 25, 2013 2:26 pm

I'm another fan of the odd row window seats. It just feels like you are a little more isolated.

jspira Apr 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 20648059)

That has been my plan (and my current seat).

Several people here commented it is noisy.

How did you find it WRT noise?

emrdoc Apr 26, 2013 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 20648059)

Not always...depends on the airport and gate.

MichaelKade Apr 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by emrdoc (Post 20646819)

Why 5D over 5A?

JBJ2435 Apr 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler (Post 20647910)
Doesn't sound like you flew on a 767-300 with the flatbeds. The lavs are all at the front on the newly modified 76T, 76L and 76Z variants. If the lavs were at the back, the only possibility is that you were on a 767-400 (764) if the plane had flatbeds. A 764 would also help explain your noise complaint from 1A as there is far less space between 1A and the forward galley than on the 767-300s where you have closets, the restroom and then the galley in front of you.

No it was a 767-300, JFK>MAD 4/10 and 4/20/13. lavs behind us even though the layout shows them in front...not sure what that is about? And definetly flat beds...nice to lay flat but kind of like little coffins!

mnredfox Apr 27, 2013 2:03 am

Originally Posted by jspira (Post 20659082)
That has been my plan (and my current seat).

Several people here commented it is noisy.

How did you find it WRT noise?

Noise as in from galley? Practically none. BE in general is quiet, after food lights go off and it's quiet. You're more behind a wall/bulkhead than near the bathroom. And if you sleep since you're close to the window, I'd say it's more quiet than 2A.