Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL employees seated in BE over Diamonds on UG list??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond x 4 yrs; SPG plat; Amex reserve

Flew SFO-JFK last week, there were only two BE seats showing availably for UG list at gate, 17 folks on list. Gratefully, I got the first seat, and to my GREAT surprise, about 10-15 minutes before departure, a delta employee (wearing civilian clothes but sporting a badge hanging around her neck) took the other open seat. I was shocked - there were at least a few other diamonds on the list after me, followed by other medallions. Is this practice permissible? I don't know if the DM's who weren't upgraded saw her get on and take the seat, but if it were me, I'd have said something. But it got me wondering, perhaps its their policy. Anyone know?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by DeltaUnitedContest
Flew SFO-JFK last week, there were only two BE seats showing availably for UG list at gate, 17 folks on list. Gratefully, I got the first seat, and to my GREAT surprise, about 10-15 minutes before departure, a delta employee (wearing civilian clothes but sporting a badge hanging around her neck) took the other open seat. I was shocked - there were at least a few other diamonds on the list after me, followed by other medallions. Is this practice permissible? I don't know if the DM's who weren't upgraded saw her get on and take the seat, but if it were me, I'd have said something. But it got me wondering, perhaps its their policy. Anyone know?
Oye. There could be a number of reasons. Two of which:

1.) The employee was a DM.
2.) The employee was on paid business where Delta permitted BE travel for that segment.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:05 pm

James318 beat me to it.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Were all 16 people on the list already on board? Was it a Pilot? Dispacher? FA? Ground Crew? Maintenance dept? Was the seat they took the "other" open seat? How do you know?

Employees travel for various reasons and especially if they are wearing civilian clothes, it could be because of about anything. Training, internal interview, meetings, death in family and the list goes on.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
There are reasons why the employee could be validly entitled to the seat. James318 mentioned some of them. If none of those was the case, it was against DL policy and was improper, but we cannot know.

There are people on FT who have access to information about who actually sat in which seats, but it is available for only a short time after the actual flight. You have to ask quicker, preferably the same day.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond x 4 yrs; SPG plat; Amex reserve
Originally Posted by bankops
Were all 16 people on the list already on board? Was it a Pilot? Dispacher? FA? Ground Crew? Maintenance dept? Was the seat they took the "other" open seat? How do you know?

Employees travel for various reasons and especially if they are wearing civilian clothes, it could be because of about anything. Training, internal interview, meetings, death in family and the list goes on.
The responses make sense, and I agree, certainly valid possibilities. To respond to your questions above - BE was entirely seated except for 2D. As I mentioned previously, 17 folks on gate UG list w/ two open seats, I was first on list and boarded w/ BE cabin. About 15-20 mins later, the passenger w/ the badge came into BE. She was very well dressed, all smiles and laughter, displayed her badge prominently, went straight up front to say hi to the other FA and asked to say hi to Captain, which she quickly did, then took her seat in 2D. It was just VERY hard to miss, so it made me curious. Unfortunately, no way for me to know what type of employee she is.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
My guess is DL sr. mgr/exec with confirmed seat in J.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
My guess is DL sr. mgr/exec with confirmed seat in J.
Putting her in front while the people who pay her salary are shlepping to the back shows just where we stand in the pecking order.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Seth
Putting her in front while the people who pay her salary are shlepping to the back shows just where we stand in the pecking order.
If they want a guaranteed seat in front, they can purchase it.

This individual, making no attempt to hide her DL relationship, was most likely entitled to the seat as part of her compensation / job perk.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:21 pm

well, if DL paid for that seat, what makes it any different than if Exxon sends a person on business first class? Should DL buy tickets on other airlines when they fly their business people around?

And anyhow, as I am sure someone else will say, upgrades are not a god given right and if people really want to sit in business, you gotta pay for it.

Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
So long story short, it was unlikely to be Shena sitting in that seat.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
There are DL employees who also travel with confirmed space for company/work reasons, so to presume passengers are automatically "screwed" by not getting upgraded is pretty lame. Yes, I am sure it happens that some Shenas get through, but to consider it as a certainty, DL policy to put non-revs ahead of top elite passengers is ridiculous.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by DeltaUnitedContest
arent you just the super dramatic type???

what exactly would you have said, if you were one of the unlucky 16 on the upgrade list??? absolutely nothing
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:42 pm
Suspended

FAs

Happened to me also

4 or do FAs in F IN DL UNIFORMS!!! They do not think DMs like me notice???
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Happened to me also

4 or do FAs in F IN DL UNIFORMS!!! They do not think DMs like me notice???
They can only pull those shenanigans over PM's/GM's/FO's! Those DM's pay attention!!!

Seriously, every time a Delta employee or employees are seated in the forward cabin does not warrant a thread. Also, to presume shenanigans each time is just silly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.