Wiki Posts
Search

SkyWest agrees to give up 66 CRJs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
SkyWest agrees to give up 66 CRJs

Hadn't seen anything about this. Just thought it was interesting in light of comments a few weeks ago by both sides.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sky...lta-2012-08-02

"SkyWest, Inc. ("SkyWest") today announced that it has reached an understanding with Delta Air Lines, Inc. ("Delta") on a transaction which provides SkyWest, Inc. 34 additional dual-class regional jet aircraft and for the early termination of 66 Bombardier CRJ200 regional jet aircraft under its existing Delta Connection Agreements."
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Glad they were able to work things out.

Am I the only one that gets visibly excited whenever I hear about CRJ200 retirements?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Not in the least. Goodbye Canadian torture tubes, right? I mean, the CR9s aren't great, but they beat the CRJs by a long shot.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: DL DM/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Am I the only one that gets visibly excited whenever I hear about CRJ200 retirements?
^ I am jumping up and down in my seat right now!
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
On the last earnings conference call, R Anderson was a little vague on the current 50-seater count; he may have said 300-320. Expressions were much clearer on the goal: <125, apparently within the time frame of amendability of the recently-extended mainline pilot contract. They are showing some quick progress.

Comair, 16

Skywest, 66
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Hadn't seen anything about this. Just thought it was interesting in light of comments a few weeks ago by both sides.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sky...lta-2012-08-02

"SkyWest, Inc. ("SkyWest") today announced that it has reached an understanding with Delta Air Lines, Inc. ("Delta") on a transaction which provides SkyWest, Inc. 34 additional dual-class regional jet aircraft and for the early termination of 66 Bombardier CRJ200 regional jet aircraft under its existing Delta Connection Agreements."
welcome to FT --

What wasn't said in your message was when this would be done and the bad news is if you go to the article, it sez by Dec 2015.

That's about 2.6 years too long for me -- a month ago would have been better.

Bob H
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by BobH
welcome to FT --

What wasn't said in your message was when this would be done and the bad news is if you go to the article, it sez by Dec 2015.

That's about 2.6 years too long for me -- a month ago would have been better.

Bob H
Well, they do need to bring the replacement aircraft online. They can't just drop the CTTs and have nothing to operate in their place.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by milehighflyer
^ I am jumping up and down in my seat right now!
Careful! You might break Barbie's jet......
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember that elimination of some of the smallest planes will mean no or reduced frequency service to some of the smallest airports served by DL. So as much as I hate the CRJ-200s, there are some disadvantages associated with getting rid of them.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember that elimination of some of the smallest planes will mean no or reduced frequency service to some of the smallest airports served by DL. So as much as I hate the CRJ-200s, there are some disadvantages associated with getting rid of them.
Was just thinking that too... Bad sign for a route like LAX-OAK which can be a nice backup when SFO gets WX.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Was just thinking that too... Bad sign for a route like LAX-OAK which can be a nice backup when SFO gets WX.
Today's schedule shows LAX-OAK as all CR9. Delta has broadly outlined replacement of 50-seaters (CRJ and ERJ) but not about dumping CR7s and CR9s.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Ding dong the witch is dead! (Or at least in the ICU.)
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
On the last earnings conference call, R Anderson was a little vague on the current 50-seater count; he may have said 300-320. Expressions were much clearer on the goal: <125, apparently within the time frame of amendability of the recently-extended mainline pilot contract. They are showing some quick progress.

Comair, 16

Skywest, 66
Yeah...and probably the last 28 of Comair's acft (7's and 9's) will be making up the bulk of the transfer to Skywest.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Yeah...and probably the last 28 of Comair's acft (7's and 9's) will be making up the bulk of the transfer to Skywest.
That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the OP's citation but the numbers don't align one for one.

Delta fleet info 6/30/12, which I assume is all Comair:

CR7, 15 owned aircraft

CR9, 13 owned aircraft

Skywest's press release today announcing contract changes:

+5 CR7

+29 CR9
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
CRJ-200s would not be too bad if they did a better job with the seats on them and they were used only for smaller airports that would normally not have air service.

I have mixed feelings as they were the greatest thing ever when they started replacing E-120s and ATRs and a flight to MYR or ILM from ATL went from a hot, rough and loud 90 minutes to 45....

Sounds like they will be relegated to the smaller towns and that is fine as long as the flights are not over an hour. I spent 2 different 2 hour flights in them this week and it is not all that much fun...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.