Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Prohibits Recline

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
I would NOT take this to the level of involving police.

I think the FA could create all kinds of lies like you 'were disruptive' or 'uncooperative' or 'a safety risk'. I don't need the hassle of giving statements and having my stuff confiscated as evidence. Now if I had been touched...that's another matter.

I would give a token argument, try to get her name, tell the other person off that they are wrong, OBEY, and then write a hard letter certified mail and email about it.
If I don't get no satisfaction from the judge
I'm gonna take it to the FBI as a personal grudge
If they don't give me no consolation
I'm gonna take it to the United Nations
I'm gonna see that you be back home in 30 days (with or without a reclining seat)

I'm amazed how much anger there is in some of the responses for something so trivial.

Last edited by atl runner; Jul 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by airmotive
Yet another reason to GET RID OF RECLINING SEATS.

Almost no appreciable gain in comfort for the person who does recline, while being a major decrease in comfort the whomever gets reclined into.

Reclining seats are a leftover from another time, when coach seat pitch resembled today's first class seat pitch.
Seat pitch is too tight on today's airplanes.
Be done with it.
I agree. "reclinable" seats should be a premium option (like EC), and the revenue from the upcharge should be used to upgrade the seats to gliders that slide forward when reclined. The reclining pax can choose if they want to sacrifice their own legroom and workspace to recline, or not recline.

Why should reclining take space away from another pax rather than reallocate your own space?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Agree here. Ninja reclines are unacceptable. They should be done smoothly and slowly. Right to recline does not mean right to smash into people.
Agree completely.

Originally Posted by boeingATL
Now what to do when the person next to you is so wide, they infringe on your space.
LOL. Now this is truly worthy of FT. POS and Seat Recline Wars in the same thread. Now what about window shades?

Originally Posted by mattyb2233
I think its pretty ballsy that lady would ask a flight attendant before she would say something to you.
Actually I think personal confrontation is very much over-rated. I don't mind outsourcing this task to FAs or other employees at all.

Recently I politely pointed out the Quiet Zone sign to a man in the LAX Sky Club who sat down and began having a very, very loud cell phone conversation and actually woke someone up who was trying to nap.

It didn't go so well. He did move eventually, but let's just say he was not apologetic. Not everyone responds very favorably in these situations.

Originally Posted by MichaelKade
I always turn around behind me as if to warn the pax behind me of the imminent recline. Then I recline slooooowwwwllly.
+1 And I don't recline fully very often, only on red-eyes or long-hauls where sleep is expected/necessary.

Now, when I look back and the pax behind me is fully reclined, then I feel free to do the same.

Originally Posted by atl runner

Regardless, I think there is a happy medium here. Although someone technically has the right to recline as much as they want to, that is a separate issue from whether or not that is being very considerate of the person sitting behind you.

I don't actually mind sitting upright, but when I do recline, I do it very modestly. Think about others as well as yourself--a good strategy to employ beyond just on airplanes.
I agree 100% with this. The upright-and-locked position is pretty uncomfortable in most seats, even most FC cabins. (One of the commuters has pretty good upright position though in F, maybe the E75s?) So, I don't mind reclining a little bit in F and also don't mind the pax in front of me doing the same.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by airmotive
Almost no appreciable gain in comfort for the person who does recline...
Finally! Something I know about. There's quite a bit of data on this, actually. The result: even modest reclines (e.g., 10-15 degrees) can dramatically improve comfort. One hypothesis is that the increased perception of "comfort" is due to decreased muscled activity in the back. A 15-20 degree recline can reduce muscle activity (muscles that stabilize the spine) by as much as 50%.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
I would NOT take this to the level of involving police.

I think the FA could create all kinds of lies like you 'were disruptive' or 'uncooperative' or 'a safety risk'. I don't need the hassle of giving statements and having my stuff confiscated as evidence. Now if I had been touched...that's another matter.

I would give a token argument, try to get her name, tell the other person off that they are wrong, OBEY, and then write a hard letter certified mail and email about it.
I disagree. FA's are taking too much liberty with their authority, and forgetting that their authority has limits. I paid for the seat, I have the right to recline it. Period. If the person behind me is unhappy, they can change seats or suck it up. Going out of my way to change seats is about as far as I would go in this case - there is no way I'm putting up my seat and inconveniencing myself or my comfort because someone doesn't know how to buy a proper size laptop or insists on using it and inconveniencing others.

I have a pretty big 17" Macbook - sometimes I can't use it because the person in front reclined - yet gee, I never thought it was even remotely within bounds to ask the FA to make the person in front move their seat or to have a hissy fit over it. If I can't open the screen safely, then guess what - I just leave it in my bag.

The FA can claim whatever she wants, and I'm not the least bit concerned about it - provided my refusal to bring me seat up is calm, she won't have any basis or witnesses to back up her assertion about my 'disruptive' behavior - and going to the CEO's office via snail mail to review the incident is perfectly reasonable.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
This was IMO not handled properly by the FA

Recline is significant enough that DL:

Notes NON reclining seats in front of exit rows
Mentions extra recline on the EC product.

Spirit and other LCC's have entire planes with no recline. As one with some minor back issues the ability to recline somewhat is important to me.

Laptop Lady might have had a bit of DYKWIA.

Did she have KM tags too? :-)
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:11 pm

Nothing beats the Knee Defender:
http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html

The other problem is that airlines are bowing to the needs of its customers who want cheap, plentiful fares on short-haul flights.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by james318
The "right" to recline is rediculous. People claim they "paid" for that space, but didn't I pay for the space into which you now are occupying?....
No, you didn't rent space. You paid or transportation: aka carriage. You have no right to any specific seat, nor air rights in front of or behind your seat. You only have a contract for transport from Point A to Point B.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by CJKatl
No, you didn't rent space. You paid or transportation: aka carriage. You have no right to any specific seat, nor air rights in front of or behind your seat. You only have a contract for transport from Point A to Point B.
So that means the lady also had no right to expect that the person in front of her wouldn't recline.

DL sells you seats that recline and advertises them as such. A passenger is entitled to use that feature as they see fit. The FA was wrong and should be reprimanded. End of story.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I disagree. FA's are taking too much liberty with their authority, and forgetting that their authority has limits. I paid for the seat, I have the right to recline it. Period. If the person behind me is unhappy, they can change seats or suck it up. Going out of my way to change seats is about as far as I would go in this case - there is no way I'm putting up my seat and inconveniencing myself or my comfort because someone doesn't know how to buy a proper size laptop or insists on using it and inconveniencing others.

I have a pretty big 17" Macbook - sometimes I can't use it because the person in front reclined - yet gee, I never thought it was even remotely within bounds to ask the FA to make the person in front move their seat or to have a hissy fit over it. If I can't open the screen safely, then guess what - I just leave it in my bag.

The FA can claim whatever she wants, and I'm not the least bit concerned about it - provided my refusal to bring me seat up is calm, she won't have any basis or witnesses to back up her assertion about my 'disruptive' behavior - and going to the CEO's office via snail mail to review the incident is perfectly reasonable.
I've got sunshine on a cloudy day
When it's cold outside
I've got the month of May
I guess you'll say
What can make me feel this way
The ability to lean my seat back as far as I want, and who gives a damn about the person behind me--not to mention raging against those authority crazy FAs who are trying to stomp on my personal liberties

Last edited by atl runner; Jul 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Nothing beats the Knee Defender:
http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html

The other problem is that airlines are bowing to the needs of its customers who want cheap, plentiful fares on short-haul flights.
This is not allowed on DL flights nor on most other carriers.

If someone placed it on my seat so I couldn't recline I would remove it and/or alert the FA to enforce DL's policy of not allowing these on flights.

This problem can be solved by increasing seat pitch or eliminating recline. Eliminating recline would be terrible especially for redeyes. If you want increased pitch you will pay more for tickets. There is no solution that will suit everyone.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
This problem can be solved by increasing seat pitch or eliminating recline. Eliminating recline would be terrible especially for redeyes. If you want increased pitch you will pay more for tickets. There is no solution that will suit everyone.
Except for my proposed solution upthread... Glide seats that slide forward as you recline.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by MS02113
No, you paid for the space into which your own seat reclines. Use as much of that space as you see fit.
Does it specify in the CoC, or in some DOT rule that I paid for the space into which my seat reclines, vs the space that is present when the person in front of me is not reclined?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Does that mean that the airline can seat me in cargo, since I've only paid for carriage? Maybe an overhead would work as well, though folks had better be some really pushy gate lice.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
So that means the lady also had no right to expect that the person in front of her wouldn't recline.

DL sells you seats that recline and advertises them as such. A passenger is entitled to use that feature as they see fit. The FA was wrong and should be reprimanded. End of story.
Agree 100%. My point is the woman with the computer had no right to any airspace, especially airspace the function of the seat allows another to use.

Everyone who gets on a plane knows, or should know, that the seats in front of them can recline. The woman had the right to ask the person in front of her no to recline, but if that person wanted to recline, that person was entitled to recline. As I said before, the FA was clearly wrong. The OP should bring that to DL's attention so that the FA sticks to enforcing the real rules and doesn't inconvenience another passenger, as she did the FA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.