Wiki Posts
Search

FA Prohibits Recline

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Yes. I offered the guy in first row aisle (left side) my first class seat for his economy confort seat after asking the person behind him if he minded if I reclined. (Luckily it was his wife and he was happy to be in first so ) Flew 4 hours in coach just so I could get a bit of sleep.

Just for some information I'm 6'3" but very slim so I just need the legroom and a bit of recline. I had to pay for my 2 beers in coach which I did willingly and I didn't get the breakfast because I switched (which again I knew would happen) but I really just wanted to have a slight angle of recline so I could rest.

Edit: Don't know if I'll hit 350 -- have to see if the fares allow for it . I wil be at 230 by end of August.
Alternatively you could have defended your rights and told the guy sitting behind you to go eff himself. Or offered to switch seats with him.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:53 pm
Suspended

If I didn't put the seat up I am sure I could have been charged w/ disobeying a member of the flight crew. If it was just the PAX complaining I would have suggested they go sit in coach. My issue is that the FA got involved.
The FA's instruction was invalid. You should have challenged it and asked her under what rule you were required to put your seat up. If she persisted, you should have noted her name and stated that you would be complaining about her by name. No need to raise hell, just say it calmly. I still would not have put my seat up.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: Skyteam
That's massive. I think she's trying to makeup for something.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
There are certain planes I wished the seats did not recline (A319/320). My time on the plane is opportunity to get in more "billable" hours, yes even on the 6am monday morning flights I will whip out the laptop. It is not the reclining that gets me irritated. It's the ones who push the button and it seems has all their weight behind it so it comes flying back and I have little time to react and prevent my laptop from breaking, for those folks I do speak up and yes smack the back of the seat.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If I didn't put the seat up I am sure I could have been charged w/ disobeying a member of the flight crew. If it was just the PAX complaining I would have suggested they go sit in coach. My issue is that the FA got involved.
I hope you got the FA's name and complained to DL. Did you try to challenge the FA at all for making up the rule? Also, was there any evidence that the other passenger was a friend of the FA or a nonrev since the FA seemed so eager to take their side. At the very least, the FA could have comped your drinks after you felt forced to move to coach.

Was the issue perhaps that you reclined fast without warning?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
There are certain planes I wished the seats did not recline (A319/320). My time on the plane is opportunity to get in more "billable" hours, yes even on the 6am monday morning flights I will whip out the laptop. It is not the reclining that gets me irritated. It's the ones who push the button and it seems has all their weight behind it so it comes flying back and I have little time to react and prevent my laptop from breaking, for those folks I do speak up and yes smack the back of the seat.
Agree here. Ninja reclines are unacceptable. They should be done smoothly and slowly. Right to recline does not mean right to smash into people.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 4:42 pm

Hi all,

I was on a flight from DTW-LAS today (Morning).
Even though I'm now retired, I'd like to offer my apologies. The FA was wrong to ask you to raise your seat back. The FA needs a refresher course.

A passenger may certainly recline their seat, it's their right. Remember a few years ago the "seat blocker"? We didn't allow them on the a/c.

The only time I would ever ask a passenger to raise their seat back was during a meal service and then only temporarily.

Compensation is certainly due. You also did the right thing with complying with the FA's request. You don't want to be caught up in a "situation" while on the a/c. Taking it to Delta directly was the correct thing to do.

NWAFA
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
no way in hell would I put up with this. I'm almost 2 meters tall. Does this trump a large laptop?

You are entitled to you space. Now what to do when the person next to you is so wide, they infringe on your space. And they thrash about, fight over the arm rest space, then make you hang into the aisle. Forget about the seat recline rocketeers. . . the real pigs are the ones next to you.

Vent done and closed.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
I've had the person behind me in F on a 757 hit the screen so hard (while reclined) that I could literally feel my head leave the headrest with each "poke." When I asked him to please touch the thing lighter he was clearly grumpy about my reclined seat. The FA asked him to quit once I brought it to her attention. He later asked to move.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:39 pm

I would ask for the difference in fares in First and last class if you were moved. I think its pretty ballsy that lady would ask a flight attendant before she would say something to you. I usually just start coughing and act sick! Whats this world coming to?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
I was on a flight from DTW-LAS today (Morning). After we reached a crusing altitude, I reclined in my seat. The woman behind me got very upset and complained to the FA who told me I have to bring my seat forward. She said that I could not recline during the flight because it made the woman uncomfortable because she couldn't work her 22 inch laptop that took up half the seat.
Very difficult to defend the FA who told you to put your seat up. OTOH, I have been the pax behind someone who put their seat back all they way in F. Usually not a problem (even if it is irritating) but in one case, the seat in front of me went back so far that I could not even open the table. Obviously this was excess recline and that seat needed repair.

No idea if that is what happened in your case, just pointing out that sometimes the recline goes back so far that if you turned around, your face could be in their crotch. Agreed that would be an interesting thread here -- especially with pix -- but just pointing out that is it possible there was excess recline here. Might have been nice to switch places with the pax behind you and see if this was really an issue.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
I always turn around behind me as if to warn the pax behind me of the imminent recline. Then I recline slooooowwwwllly.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond x 4 yrs; SPG plat; Amex reserve
I still don't get it...now that you've gotten us all roped in and involved in the saga, tell us a bit more, please? Did you have to interact w/ the rude px behind you as well or was it all mediated through the FA? Did you put up a fight at all or straight out comply? When you moved to coach (a pretty dramatic move), were you given an apology? Did the FA come check on you? Perhaps you felt weird b/c you were on upgrade and possiblt the other person was a F revenue ticket? Just trying to imagine, b/c I think I would have flatly refused to not recline, or perhaps moved the recline up an inch or two to accommodate a bit without giving in (I imagine this would still have given you better recline than your new coach seat?). After flying 200K this year, I'm just surprised you didn't feel entitled to your space as much as the other person did.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DeltaUnitedContest
I still don't get it...now that you've gotten us all roped in and involved in the saga, tell us a bit more, please? Did you have to interact w/ the rude px behind you as well or was it all mediated through the FA? Did you put up a fight at all or straight out comply? When you moved to coach (a pretty dramatic move), were you given an apology? Did the FA come check on you? Perhaps you felt weird b/c you were on upgrade and possiblt the other person was a F revenue ticket? Just trying to imagine, b/c I think I would have flatly refused to not recline, or perhaps moved the recline up an inch or two to accommodate a bit without giving in (I imagine this would still have given you better recline than your new coach seat?). After flying 200K this year, I'm just surprised you didn't feel entitled to your space as much as the other person did.
Agree and welcome to FT.

I could perhaps see moving from FC to a whole empty row of coach, but even then I think the FAs could at least supply drinks back there.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDSEA
I do appreciate it when I'm in Y and FAs ask passengers to bring their seatbacks up during meal service. Foregn airlines do this much more often however.
When the seats recline, tray tables don;t move. I remember days when a passenger reclining their seat in economy did not cause a problem for the passenger behind them during meal service. Two things have changed since then. Seat pitch and passenger size.
Now that I have lost quite a bit of the extra weight I have gained, I find that it's less inconvenient for me when the passenger in front of me reclines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.