FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   CVG Min Layover on MR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1366405-cvg-min-layover-mr.html)

fujiteam Jul 14, 2012 9:14 am

CVG Min Layover on MR

Trying to set up a MR (sort of) to help my sister move into college. I am based at BDL, but will drive to BOS or NYC for the trip. I want to drive down in the morning (8/9) so a mid morning or PM flight is ideal.

Options:
Direct 12:30 (LGA-RDU)
Direct 2:30 (LGA-RDU)
1 stop 10:45 (EWR - CVG 3:12 layover CVG-RDU)
1 stop 1:30 (EWR - CVG 0:30 layover CVG-RDU)
Last flight of the day out of CVG is 8:15 so if I miss 30 min I am stuck for 4 hrs.

The trip is not really worth it unless I can get 4 segments. In the past I had a flight changed on me putting me in CVG for 30 min and was able to get rerouted via DTW. Could I book, call and try to be put on another 1 stop routing or would they try and put me on a direct out of LGA?

How bad would the traffic be crossing the Tappan Zee (ct to NY) and down to EWR require 3-4 hours during rush hour?

nystateofmind Jul 14, 2012 10:03 am

Do you need to be in RDU by a specific time because there are other ways to maximize your mileage here. I am asking because although you would need to endure a Canadian Torture Tube you can route SWF-DTW-RDU for not much more pricewise than traveling to EWR or LGA but parking is only $10 per day in the long term lot versus the price gouging at EWR or LGA

bennos Jul 14, 2012 10:10 am

There are various traffic hot spots you might hit, not just the Tappan Zee, depending on exactly when and from where you leave. eg: There can be slowdowns in/near Newark (the city, not the airport) and Westchester.

Keep in mind that as GM SDC is your friend. Just make sure the fare rules of whatever ticket you purchase don't constrain your possible routings. For example, you might book the 2:30 LGA-RDU non-stop and then SDC to an earlier flight with a connection somewhere (assuming seat availability and that the fare you purchase doesn't require non-stop travel).

fujiteam Jul 14, 2012 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by nystateofmind (Post 18928867)
Do you need to be in RDU by a specific time because there are other ways to maximize your mileage here. I am asking because although you would need to endure a Canadian Torture Tube you can route SWF-DTW-RDU for not much more pricewise than traveling to EWR or LGA but parking is only $10 per day in the long term lot versus the price gouging at EWR or LGA

SWF is $100 more, but for $150 more I can snag 4 segments ont eh way down and 3 on the way back. But it seems that SWF only has 6AM flights (8/9/12)

How much is a good deal on Parking at EWR?

fujiteam Jul 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 18928902)
There are various traffic hot spots you might hit, not just the Tappan Zee, depending on exactly when and from where you leave. eg: There can be slowdowns in/near Newark (the city, not the airport) and Westchester.

Keep in mind that as GM SDC is your friend. Just make sure the fare rules of whatever ticket you purchase don't constrain your possible routings. For example, you might book the 2:30 LGA-RDU non-stop and then SDC to an earlier flight with a connection somewhere (assuming seat availability and that the fare you purchase doesn't require non-stop travel).

I assume I would hit traffice several times. I have not taken advantage of the SDC, do I have to get to the airport to do it or can I set it up ahead of time? How can I verify the terms on a ticket to see if it would force me to go non-stop?

RRDD Jul 14, 2012 1:29 pm

What is your budget? You might try pricing LGA-PIT-xxx-ORD-MSP-xxx-RDU. I'm guessing it will price out at less than $100 per segment.

nystateofmind Jul 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by fujiteam (Post 18929713)
SWF is $100 more, but for $150 more I can snag 4 segments ont eh way down and 3 on the way back. But it seems that SWF only has 6AM flights (8/9/12)

How much is a good deal on Parking at EWR?

Short term will run you 24-33 per day
Long term is 18 but it is 3 miles from the airport

If you only want 2 segments there is a 4:59 PM that has a 52 minute layover in DTW and gets into RDU at 9:22 PM (that is $147.60 one way or $4 less one way than if you added a 3rd segment going down to RDU but that means you would have to take a 6 AM flight)

Depending on how much you value miles/segments I can make a 4 segment BDL-RDU for $250 one way (Multi-City Search BDL-BWI then BWI-RDU)

fujiteam Jul 14, 2012 2:04 pm

I found: SWF-DTW-RDU out and RDU-ATL-BNA-DTW-SWF back, $370

4 of 6 are on CRJs.

What happens if you hit a delay on one ticket half way through, BNA is a second ticket?

fujiteam Jul 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have expanded my search to Boston and for sub $300 I can get 6 segments, but I have to take a 6am out of BOS. There are plenty of slightly later flights. How does SDC work. I understand if I book a 1 stop I should be able to SDC to a 1 stop within 3 hours, so I could take a 9am. Would I have to get to the airport before my 6am and SDC then or can I SDC a week or more ahead of time? Also if the flight I book is a U fare can I SDC to a T, Q, L or K with 1 or more stops?

thanks in advance

3Cforme Jul 14, 2012 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by fujiteam (Post 18930343)
Also if the flight I book is a U fare can I SDC to a T, Q, L or K with 1 or more stops?

thanks in advance

The allowed routings will be shown in the detailed fare rules.

fujiteam Jul 14, 2012 6:44 pm

Once I found the routing that I want, how do I book it? I did a Delta multi-city search and can get my first flight, but the second flight has no select button. Do I have to book 3 seperate trips?

fujiteam Jul 15, 2012 7:24 am

I am can't seem to find the first flight in this routing on Delta:

Fare 1: Carrier DL TRQ14NI SWF to BNA (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code T
Covers SWF-DTW (Economy), DTW-BNA (Economy)
$95.82
Fare 2: Carrier DL UA21B3NA BNA to RDU (rules)
Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code U
Covers BNA-CVG (Economy), CVG-RDU (Economy)
$64.19
Fare 3: Carrier DL UA21A0NQ RDU to SWF (rules)
Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code U
Covers RDU-DTW (Economy), DTW-SWF (Economy)
$126.51
US Transportation Tax (US) $21.48
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $10.00
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $18.00
US Flight Segment Tax (ZP) $22.80

Subtotal per passenger $358.80
Number of passengers x1

TOTAL AIRFARE & TAXES $358.80
This ticket is non-refundable.
Changes to this ticket will incur a penalty fee.

Why is it a Round Trip?

nystateofmind Jul 15, 2012 9:39 am

It does not appear right if you search one ways but try building a multi-city itinerary to see if your flights come up. BTW, when were you planning to return? Just wondering because that may open up more options to build miles/segments on the return or find more convenient options

fujiteam Jul 15, 2012 10:06 am

Originally Posted by nystateofmind (Post 18933077)
It does not appear right if you search one ways but try building a multi-city itinerary to see if your flights come up. BTW, when were you planning to return? Just wondering because that may open up more options to build miles/segments on the return or find more convenient options

I am returning 8–12, not sure how I found the above booking, but now I see swf-dtw-atl-rdu rdu-atl-swf $350

bennos Jul 15, 2012 11:14 am

Originally Posted by fujiteam (Post 18930343)
How does SDC work.

Check out this post.