Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are the Peanuts going?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
totally meaningless peanuts trivia

Southwest and Delta peanut packages are both supplied by the same company, and both have the same weight of peanuts - 12 grams.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
Southwest and Delta peanut packages are both supplied by the same company, and both have the same weight of peanuts - 12 grams.
And if you're in need of even more meaningless Peanut Trivia...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ghlight=peanut
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Don't eat the peanuts.

Every real blinded study that looked at this issue failed to show that one can not suffer an allergic reaction from just proximity, Either injestion or very heavy dust levels are needed.

But if you do believe in this fairy tail, then do not fly at all because there will certainly be peanut dust left in the seats.
I'll take this a step further. Avoiding a food that you're "allergic" to makes your reaction worse when you encounter it.

My doctor tells me that (based on bloodwork) I have a severe nut allergy and am also very allergic to gluten. I could even bring a doctor's note with me (she was very insistent that this is a life-and-death matter). Should Delta then not serve anything with nuts or gluten on any flight that I'm on?

By the way, I eat nuts and crackers/bread all the time, never with a noticeable adverse reaction. My doctor swears either could cause a fatal allergic reaction at any time, but I seem to have built up immunity or something by continuously exposing myself to these "lethal" foods.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:12 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
If I had a potentially fatal allergy to peanuts, I'd be more concerned about how well the plane was cleaned before I boarded than whether peanuts are being served during the flight.

At least if peanuts are being served, you know and can have some control over your exposure. Whom among us hasn't stuck a hand into a pouch in the back of the seat in front of us or fished for a seatbelt only to find a half eaten bag of peanuts, or worse?

As is, I often wipe the seat, armrest and seatback down with an alcohol wipe. If I had a peanut allergy, there would likely be rubber gloves and a face mask added to that routine.

BTW, was I the only one who was diappointed after seeing this thread title but finding nothing about Charlie Brown or Lucy?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:20 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Diamond; HH - Diamond; Priority Club - Platinum;
There is still a possibility that a co-passenger could bring nuts or other foods that cause allergic reactions in others - what next - the nut scanner (and not just for the human kind )
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:36 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I was on a US flight a few years back where a lady demanded a gaurantee from both the GA and FA that nuts would not be present on the flight. The FA made an announcement that pax should not consume peanuts on the flight due to this. (US did not serve peanuts). The FA told the lady that she could not gaurantee a 100% peanut free zone...

I'm with others who find this thing to be a little out of control.

Inconveniencing a plane-full of pax seems a bit extreme and selfish when the person with the allergy can take simple precautions of their own. Wear a mask and do not consume the nuts. If the allergy is that severe, perhaps modification of transportation options should be considered.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by dcline414
I'll take this a step further. Avoiding a food that you're "allergic" to makes your reaction worse when you encounter it.

My doctor tells me that (based on bloodwork) I have a severe nut allergy and am also very allergic to gluten. I could even bring a doctor's note with me (she was very insistent that this is a life-and-death matter). Should Delta then not serve anything with nuts or gluten on any flight that I'm on?

By the way, I eat nuts and crackers/bread all the time, never with a noticeable adverse reaction. My doctor swears either could cause a fatal allergic reaction at any time, but I seem to have built up immunity or something by continuously exposing myself to these "lethal" foods.
i have no other way to put this but to state that this argument is total crap.

yes, the more you distance yourself from the harmful item, the more you will suffer if/when you're exposed to it, again. that's because your body has ridded itself of the majority of those pollutants and is operating as it should. a shock to the system is experienced when the body comes into contact with it again, which makes it TEMPORARILY more painful.

if your allergies are as severe as you state, then there's no way you would be eating nuts and gluten. My fiance has Celiac disease and suffered with it for 20+ years before Drs found out what the issue was. When she comes into contact with it, now, then yes, her spells are more painful due to what I posted in previous paragraph. the FACT is that her life and health without the toxin has IMPROVED dramatically.

argue about this as much as you want, but if you still continue to eat nuts and flour/wheat, then your allergies are not that severe.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
someone enlighten me on the peanut allergy. can you breathe nut fumes or does something get in the air, somehow?

is it as simple as just avoiding touching them? if so, then the no-peanut zone is ridiculous
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: DL PM
Maybe next they will ban cats and dogs on flights where someone is allergic to them. It would be nice if they would at least re-seat people with allergies away from the animal, but I have seen them not.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
My 7-year-old has a severe peanut allergy and a much milder tree nut allergy (among other foods). Our solution...we don't fly Delta and we don't fly Southwest (or AirTran any longer in case catering gets switched).

While you can remove serving peanuts from one flight, I can't tell you how many times I've seen a "rogue" peanut wedged in a seat, on the floor, in the seat back pocket, etc. Not to mention the thousands of cycles a/c have gone through with the peanut dust still circulating even if you don't serve them on one flight. The peanut residue can exist on a surface for up to six months.

We generally fly JetBlue when traveling as a family (sadly leaving my DL miles to continue piling up), where we're granted pre-board access to thoroughly clean his seating area. We always reserve the last or next-to-last row and the flight attendants kindly make a generic announcement to the last few rows that a peanut allergy sufferer is on board and if they brought peanut products on board, they would be glad to re-seat them. We bring 2-twin packs of epinephrine, buying us close to 60 mins of treatment in the event of an exposure.

I am partially glad Delta is implementing this policy, but at the same time, those who truly suffer a life threatening allergy still shouldn't fly Delta. So why then "punish" the rest of the airplane.

That said, to a previous poster: If you do bring peanut products on board and the announcement is made on your next Delta flight, I hope you'll seriously consider waiting until you land to consume the product. I bet the 90+ minute delay you'll experience from the emergency landing will be a much bigger inconvenience than snacking on Biscoff's instead!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
Maybe next they will ban cats and dogs on flights where someone is allergic to them. It would be nice if they would at least re-seat people with allergies away from the animal, but I have seen them not.
I am extremely allergic to cats, and have been hospitalized a couple times for reactions. (If you read the Marriott thread, I swear it's only cats and down feathers - same type of reaction to both, but nothing else.) The biggest issue is I need to be careful about the cat hair getting in my eyes. Maybe three years ago, there was a woman in the waiting area with a cat in a soft sided carrier. I asked the GA to check to be sure the cat wasn't going to be under my seat. Of course, it was. She offered to move me, but couldn't move my seat mate, so the woman with the cat was moved to the back. The woman with the cat was a little peeved, but the GA explained that it was that or not on the flight, and the woman calmed down.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
I always travel with a PB&J sandwich. Hopefully, nobody will stop me from eating that.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Got an OpUp AMS-DTW yesterday and they made the peanut announcement, so no warm nuts in J, just regular little bag of pretzels.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mrredskin
argue about this as much as you want, but if you still continue to eat nuts and flour/wheat, then your allergies are not that severe.
That was my thinking as well when my doctor told me after 26 years of eating these foods that I am allergic to them.

Maybe I should let the doctor write me that note so that I can board before the throngs of SP pax.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by mrredskin
someone enlighten me on the peanut allergy. can you breathe nut fumes or does something get in the air, somehow?

is it as simple as just avoiding touching them? if so, then the no-peanut zone is ridiculous
I can't speak for other peanut-allergy folks, but for me, the fumes make my mouth and nose itch if I breathe them in. My nut allergy is more mild, as in an accidental ingestion has never actually resulted in an ER run. I've called paramedics a couple times as a precaution, but I usually just take an Allegra and have awful symptoms for a few hours. But I'm also allergic to all nuts, so its a little harder to avoid them all than simply peanuts.

I was impressed Delta would bother going this far with attempting to make flights as peanut-free as possible. But as I already started buying P and A fares to sit up front and minimize the peanuts around me, I don't plan to make use of the new rule. What I would like is for them to stop putting almonds and other nuts in the salads. Its always dissapointing to see the one healthy item on the tray and then realize I can't eat it. Can't they provide them in a little paper cup on the side? Sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.