Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

PM v. GM: much benefit for my travel patterns?

Old Jul 9, 12, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

I will have the ability to make PM this year if I take a few trips on DL over UA. Generally, I fly UA as they have direct flights to ORD (on DL I have to connect, and I hate connecting).

Anyway, with the rare exception of these ORD flights, I fly exclusively from LAX to JFK/CDG(on AF)/ATL. My question is whether PM will really help me out to ATL/JFK? Isn't it the case that these routes are basically impossible to upgrade? I truly hate connecting, so if PM isn't going to make a difference I'll take the roll over and enjoy my time not spent waiting in an airport. Thanks for your input.
Old Jul 9, 12, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The LAX-JFK/ATL non stops are tough upgrades at prime business times, so it depends on the day of the week and time of day for your flights as well as your fare class. PM not on a sLUT fare should have a decent shot, or you could strategically use a (PM bnefit) SWU to shoot to the top of the list for a gate upgrade.

You don't seem to be asking about AF upgrades, but you can from relatively expensive fares with miles or SWUs. Status should help a bit on the wait list.

Where you might find a big advantage of PM is in redeeming award tickets. You can change/cancel/reissue for free until T-72, so that you can find something acceptable and then revise it as better award space becomes available.
Old Jul 9, 12, 9:28 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
It really does matter when you are flying, but from my experience with being plat this year compared to gold last, I have only missed 3 upgrades on jfk - lax/sea (with or without a connection in ATL. It was a large change in upgrade percentage for me. Also the ability to change award tickets without a fee is extremely useful when space becomes available for a flight you want that is much more convenient.
Old Jul 9, 12, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
You can get creative to increase your upgrade chances, esp if you're willing to connect, but I know you're not keen on it. But still, I'll share some of my success strategies. Perhaps LAX/SNA/ONT/LGB-SLC-JFK where a PM has a very good chance of the upgrade (I've never missed either way between SLC-JFK and even seen empty seats in F). If going to ATL, maybe try an LAX-MEM/LAS/PHX-ATL routing (the LAX-LAS/PHX-onward connections aren't showing up the way they were a year ago though).

I've only flown in F LAX/SNA-ATL if I've paid for it (and with FCM it's become much easier to justify). I have gotten upgraded ONT-ATL the two times I've taken it. And only made JFK-LAX on a Saturday night and LAX-JFK on the 6:30am on a Tuesday following a Monday holiday, otherwise sat in the back.

The difference between Gold and Plat isn't what it used to be, but it is definitely worth it in my opinion.
Old Jul 9, 12, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Phil2016 View Post
The difference between Gold and Plat isn't what it used to be, but it is definitely worth it in my opinion.
As a GM who flies almost all domestic, I have to disagree. The SWU certificates you get as a PM might be useful on transcontinental flights or international long-hauls.

Other than that there is no difference between GM and PM. Both get STE+, SkyPriority, 100% RDM bonus, and no upgrades during peak travel times.
Old Jul 9, 12, 11:10 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
As a GM who flies almost all domestic, I have to disagree. The SWU certificates you get as a PM might be useful on transcontinental flights or international long-hauls.

Other than that there is no difference between GM and PM. Both get STE+, SkyPriority, 100% RDM bonus, and no upgrades during peak travel times.
There are other choices besides the SWU's. I choose the $200 eCredit for my Plat benefit. And, as mentioned a few posts above, there are the free award re-deposits. I'm pretty sure I've been upgraded quite a few times as a Plat where I wouldn't have made it as a Gold.
Old Jul 10, 12, 3:59 am

You can use the SWUs from a PM choice benefit for LAX-JFK on YBMHQK fares AND use them to upgrade from Premium Voyageur (Prem. Eco/W-class) on AF to Business.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: