Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

9F Seats 1 Day out - DM doesn't clear upgrade

9F Seats 1 Day out - DM doesn't clear upgrade

Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Seriously, do we need a new thread every time somebody doesn't get their upgrade, in advance or otherwise?

Mods, for your consideration:
Sticky: I didn't get my upgrade at my window:The Consolidated Rant
It seems we've also gotten a proliferation of Upgrade Success threads too. Perhaps instead we should consider:
Sticky: The Consolidated Medallion Chest-Thumping Thread:Report Your Upgrade Conquests and Defeats Here
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dovster
In truth, there is very little difference between what I pay for my M fare and what an I fare would cost me.

The big advantage of the M fare is that changes can be made in both the routing and the dates for free -- whereas on an I fare, that can prove prohibitively expensive.
This isn't true in all markets.In fact, exUSA most international M fares have $250 change fees, although I can be $400.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Singleflyer
As a DM I have cleared 100% of my 62 legs thus far this year. Some not until the gate, many at about 24 hours. Most of the ones that I don't clear at the window are coded as Business rather than Domestic First. I prime example of that are 2 flights I frequently take out of DTW to BOS. The first is coded as Business and I have never cleared at the window, the other Domestic First about 2 hours later, I have always cleared at the window. So with those data points I am assuming the criteria of holding back the UG inventory for the Domestic Business Class is greater than holding back for Domestic First flights.
It may have nothing to do with DL holding back a bigger fraction of upgrade inventory. Any domestic flight that is used as a connection to long haul international by a significant number of passengers will have more people who have paid to sit up front as part of a BE ticket compared to the ordinary FC purchases. In addition, there will be others in the front cabin because they purchased M+ and have used miles or a SWU. So DL is likely to have fewer seats open in the front cabin on such flights long before the upgrade window opens.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Deemus7
The timing of upgrades that clear between the window and the gate always surprises me. In March, I got the upgrade e-mail at 1am prior to a 7am-ish departure out of GSO. I wonder why that was the "magic" time at which point RM decided that last-minute F purchases were unlikely??

Glad to hear you aren't going to have to slum it in the back with the FO's and GM's...
The middle of the night upgrades make me suspect that releasing such upgrade inventory is automatic and triggered by a computer algorithm rather than the result of a human being inspecting sales patterns and other information (local events, holidays, etc.) about the flight. Yet some of it surely is done by human beings; for example, there are the rare stories, perhaps on other airlines, of revenue management opening up seats in response to a special request by an elite phone agent.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by JesseRohr
My first experience like this thus far. I've cleared everything at the window so far this year including many JFK/LAX/SFO/SEA routes and this one has me puzzled. Tomorrow I'm on DL109 from ATL-SAN and there shows to be 9F seats open yet nothing has cleared. The same goes for my outbound flight on the return that shows 21F seats open.
OP - This is Comic-Con week in San Diego (7/12 - 7/15) and days leading up to the convention kickoff are always full of Paid FC passengers, as well as days after the convention. Flights are often overbooked as well, so you may not be soo lucky with an upgrade this week.

Goodluck!!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The middle of the night upgrades make me suspect that releasing such upgrade inventory is automatic and triggered by a computer algorithm rather than the result of a human being inspecting sales patterns and other information (local events, holidays, etc.) about the flight. Yet some of it surely is done by human beings; for example, there are the rare stories, perhaps on other airlines, of revenue management opening up seats in response to a special request by an elite phone agent.
I'm thinking that RM looks at the flight at some point during the day and determines the optimal amount of upgrade inventory to release. I suspect that these manual upgrades are batch-processed after that day's normal automatic window upgrades are completed (hence the middle of the night).

For some reason I don't think that RM's manual tweaks (inventory bucket availability, etc) is processed real-time, but rather overnight when the system has more free resources. We have at least one RM employee on FT though, so perhaps he/she would care to weigh in here?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:59 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
It may have nothing to do with DL holding back a bigger fraction of upgrade inventory. Any domestic flight that is used as a connection to long haul international by a significant number of passengers will have more people who have paid to sit up front as part of a BE ticket compared to the ordinary FC purchases. In addition, there will be others in the front cabin because they purchased M+ and have used miles or a SWU. So DL is likely to have fewer seats open in the front cabin on such flights long before the upgrade window opens.
HEY!!! Why bring a shred of simple common sense into the conversation!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
This isn't true in all markets.In fact, exUSA most international M fares have $250 change fees, although I can be $400.
Never having flown an M itinerary which began in the US, I am in no position to dispute that.

I do know that there are no change fees on M fare itineraries which begin in TLV.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by dcline414
I'm thinking that RM looks at the flight at some point during the day and determines the optimal amount of upgrade inventory to release. I suspect that these manual upgrades are batch-processed after that day's normal automatic window upgrades are completed (hence the middle of the night).

For some reason I don't think that RM's manual tweaks (inventory bucket availability, etc) is processed real-time, but rather overnight when the system has more free resources. We have at least one RM employee on FT though, so perhaps he/she would care to weigh in here?
I hope so. I would love to have a better idea of how revenue management functions and how they make decisions. The whole area fascinates me and I know some of the relevant academic research about how it should be done in an idealized environment.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:04 pm

Never having flown an M itinerary which began in the US, I am in no position to dispute that.

I do know that there are no change fees on M fare itineraries which begin in TLV.
You're so lucky: cheap M fares that are flexible.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
You're so lucky: cheap M fares that are flexible.
I don't know if they are considered cheap. They run about $3000.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:21 pm

I don't know if they are considered cheap. They run about $3000.
I haven't seen a $3000 M fare exMSP in a year or two.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.