Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

header while exiting the plane - options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

header while exiting the plane - options?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:19 pm

Nearly every time we have an emergency room visit we get a phone call or questionnaire from Kaiser wanting to know if this was an accident that might involve a third party.

Unfortunately, we've had quite few of these incidents. Two kids in gymnastics, soccer and other activities and a few freak accidents have given us elite status at the ER

Hope the rest of your trip is uneventful.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OHDL1
There is ALWAYS an accident form that the GA or Red Coat will fill out with the whys and wherefores of the scene. Statements from crew...etc. They sign it...they ask you to sign it. It would have your name and address, etc.
Was something like that provided?
OP - was this provided?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsumegan
OP - was this provided?
No. To the best of my knowledge, the only people that recieved our information was the police officer I mentioned, and the EMS responders. I never saw anyone who looked to be from the airline (the pilot helped, but didn't ask for any info). I was gone for about 15+ miniutes when I had to leave to go get the rental car, I can ask if anyone (we were travelling with others) remember a DL representative coming over.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Josher747
Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't see why it's up to Delta to pay because OP's wife fell? KeyWest doesn't have jet bridges, so air stairs are used. There isn't a dangerous gap anywhere on these stairs. They're normal stairs. Hold on to the handrail if you're unsure, and everything will be fine.

I'm sorry OP's wife fell, I'm sure it wasn't an enjoyable way to begin a vacation, but there's no reason to hold an airline accountable for their mis-step.
Originally Posted by Bill_61
Excuse me, are you suggesting that someone take responsibility for their own actions and welfare? Not while an attorney draws breath!
^^^

glad to hear wife is ok. Suck it up to $h@t happens and move on.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned and feel that I am responsible for my own day to day actions.... Had a stair been broken, jagged, etc, I may feel different, but if I claimed foul everytime I took a misstep, I would be an ambulance chaser's golden ticket.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
While your insurance will most likely cover everything, you will probably get a letter from them asking for the details of the accident. They will do what is called subrogation, which would be going back to Delta and their insurance company.

From my experience, once your insurance is in touch with Delta's insurance, they'll handle pretty much everything.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mikehillwig
While your insurance will most likely cover everything, you will probably get a letter from them asking for the details of the accident. They will do what is called subrogation, which would be going back to Delta and their insurance company.

From my experience, once your insurance is in touch with Delta's insurance, they'll handle pretty much everything.
And there won't be a lawsuit.

Especially if they're the same insurance company.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
We had a similar experience once, MrWeezer wiped out on an airport escalator. It was crowded, the guy in front of him tipped back suddenly & in the effort to hold that guy up he lost his footing. (Having heavy, size 14 ski boots flung over one shoulder didn't help things in terms of MrWeezer's balance...but it did lead him to finally buy a bag for those monsters. )

Someone from the airline was at the bottom of the escalator greeting the flight, saw the whole thing, and immediately brought him to an airport medical station to get checked out. "Out of an abundance of caution," as they say, they got him a taxi to a local medical clinic where he got 2 stitches for a cut in his elbow. If there were any charges they were minimal, I honestly don't remember if he even got a bill or if the airline had made arrangements with the clinic. Someone from the airline called our hotel a few days later to check on him. On our return flight an agent remembered him, apologized again, and asked if he was OK. A couple of days later an EMT in our group cut out the stitches with his Swiss Army knife.

Overall we were very pleased with the care, concern & follow up exhibited by the airline and local airport personnel. The punch line: all this happened in a small city in Argentina (BRC) & we were flying LAN Argentina. Not sure we would have expected the same in the U.S.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
I don't understand the OP's seeming reluctance to contact a lawyer. That would seem the most appropriate answer in this situation, rather than the advice he/she will get here. What's the downside of contacting a lawyer? Most of these types of attorneys work on a percentage, anyway, so there will not be any up front costs. And they usually don't charge for an initial consultation which can be a terrific fact-finding experience for the OP.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL 1.3MM GM , Marriott-Platinum Premier+Lifetime , Hilton-Blue, Nat'l-Emerald Club Executive Elite
First and foremost...I'm glad she was not severely injured.

Remember, safety begins and ends with our actions. Most of us don't STOP when we see a safety issue.

In this case the OP walked right past the issue and didn't even STOP to tell his wife of the issue. I'm not pointing blame, I'm just illustrating this to show how we can be lemmings when we exit an aircraft.

Did the OP's wife practice her due diligence as she exited the plane? Did she hold the hand rail of the stairs? Did she pause and view the area before she proceed?

Most of us (myself included) are spoiled by jetways.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
I gotta admit, this thread is not about what I was thinking when I read the title...
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

As an update, my wife and I made it safely home. The ground manager stopped to talk to us while we were in the boarding area. She was surprised that no one from Delta had contacted us since the incident. She said she'd be in touch with us.

While boarding the plane, I took time to notice the steps, particularly the height difference from the top platform into the plane. Not necessarily looking to start a conspiracy, but it was a completely different set of steps. The previous one was (bottom to top): steps - landing - steps - landing. The one on the departing flight was a single flight of steps that went to a landing that was about 4' deep. The height on the top landing this time was perfect - if the landing was anymore than about 3" below the lip of the door frame (which is 2"-3" above the height of the inside floor), I'd be surprised. I noticed that parts of the steps (diamondplate) looked very clean ("shiny new" in my father's words).

These steps had full Delta markings on it. I'm not sure whose steps were used on the arriving flight. Based on the DL flight schedule, the only DL flights to EYW are 3 sets of daily roundtrips between ATL-EYW, separated by about 4 hours, being either a 737 or a CR700 (which I believe use their own onboard steps). Would Delta need more than one pair of steps for only 3 daily flights? There are other airlines that operate 737's out of EYW, so it would seem that schedule permitting, if necessary you'd try to borrow someone else's if needed. Key West airport isn't that big where it seems like you'd keep spare equipment around just in case.

At this point I'll wait to see what Delta's communication entails. My guess is it will say they are following up on an incident, and would want our perspective on it. I'd certainlly ask why the different steps on the departing flight, and if the original one had been checked for a correctly set upper landing height.

Jeff
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM, National Exec, Hilton Dia
So much jerkness in this thread. Just because it's the internet doesn't mean you shouldn't be polite.

OP - hope your out of pocket costs can be covered, and I hope it doesn't take getting lawyers involved.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by RRDD
She (and her lawyers) received $640,000.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebe...;s_Restaurants
And we all pay that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.