Aircraft change to AF 340-500

Old Jul 7, 12, 8:52 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MSP
Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
Posts: 701
Aircraft change to AF 340-500

I've been slowly using up my huge bank of old NW miles for business class awards (I know, I saw it coming before the merger and waited too long--my bad) and earlier in the year I booked business class in a 330 YUL-CDG. I just noticed that the flight changed and it wants to put me on AF345 which DL says is a Airbus 340-500.

I specifically booked a tortured route through YUL so I didn't have to book a business class seat on the 767--and got it for 100K. But I'm not familiar with the 340-500 and SeatGuru doesn't even list it as an AF plane.

Do you think I should try to talk them into another routing, or just accept this aircraft change?
lotalota is offline  
Old Jul 7, 12, 9:09 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SEA
Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Posts: 9,779
There should be no appreciable difference in cabin comfort between an AF A330 and an AF A340.
pbarnette is offline  
Old Jul 7, 12, 9:18 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MSP
Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
Posts: 701
Originally Posted by pbarnette View Post
There should be no appreciable difference in cabin comfort between an AF A330 and an AF A340.
Thanks! Much appreciated. Maybe I should ask this on the AF board, but since I'm booked in 0 does that put me in Affaires or La Premiere? I'm going to have to call DL to get seat assignments for both TATL legs as both flights have changed and row 2 doesn't seem to exist on either the 340-500 (maybe it does?) or the 777-200ER.
lotalota is offline  
Old Jul 7, 12, 9:23 pm
  #4  
A4K
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N/A
Programs: N/A
Posts: 594
Originally Posted by lotalota View Post
Thanks! Much appreciated. Maybe I should ask this on the AF board, but since I'm booked in 0 does that put me in Affaires or La Premiere? I'm going to have to call DL to get seat assignments for both TATL legs as both flights have changed and row 2 doesn't seem to exist on either the 340-500 (maybe it does?) or the 777-200ER.
The 340 has the same seats as the 330, the only difference being two more engines and a different seating config on the 340.

You are in Affaires. First, it is impossible to book La Premiere with skymiles and also it is not even offered on the 330/340.
A4K is offline  
Old Jul 7, 12, 9:27 pm
  #5  
A4K
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N/A
Programs: N/A
Posts: 594
Also, you should be able to select seats on airfrance.com.

Find your E ticket number and Air France usually can find your res. From there you can pick seats.
A4K is offline  
Old Jul 7, 12, 9:30 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,798
Originally Posted by A4K View Post
The 340 has the same seats as the 330, the only difference being two more engines and a different seating config on the 340.

You are in Affaires. First, it is impossible to book La Premiere with skymiles and also it is not even offered on the 330/340.
Correct. OP, I wouldn't worry about the switch, it shouldn't make a difference in your flight quality. I have only flown AF J once and liked it very much (but it was my first J flight, so anything above Y was bound to be amazing).


FYI, unless I am mistaken, AF does not operate the A340-500, and never has.
will2288 is online now  
Old Jul 7, 12, 9:36 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 86,517
Look at the seat maps. I suspect that , while their A330 is 2-2-2 in business class, the A340 is one of the horrible 2-3-2 configurations. Business class should never have a middle seat.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jul 7, 12, 9:55 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD/MDW/MKE
Programs: DL, UA
Posts: 774
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Look at the seat maps. I suspect that , while their A330 is 2-2-2 in business class, the A340 is one of the horrible 2-3-2 configurations. Business class should never have a middle seat.
I believe that the 330 and the 340 are identical in J. Both have a 2-2-2 configuration according to the seatmaps. PV is 2-3-2 on both.

Also, will2288, you are correct. AF does not operate the -500, they operate the -300.
WidgetKid is offline  
Old Jul 8, 12, 3:39 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SUX
Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Posts: 8,050
Originally Posted by A4K View Post
Also, you should be able to select seats on airfrance.com.

Find your E ticket number and Air France usually can find your res. From there you can pick seats.
+1

Do not call DL about seats on AF. The chances of the seat assignment not getting communicated to AF are too high.
mtkeller is offline  
Old Jul 8, 12, 3:43 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: TXL, ATL
Programs: DL PM, GE
Posts: 371
Whats the date of your flight ?
AF345 is a 777-200 until 27OCT, after they fly the 340-300
gplates is offline  
Old Jul 8, 12, 3:54 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,798
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Look at the seat maps. I suspect that , while their A330 is 2-2-2 in business class, the A340 is one of the horrible 2-3-2 configurations. Business class should never have a middle seat.
The A330 and A340 have identical cabin widths, and both AF J cabins are 2-2-2.


Perhaps you are thinking about the AF 777, which does have a 2-3-2 layout in J.
will2288 is online now  
Old Jul 8, 12, 6:02 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MSP
Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
Posts: 701
Originally Posted by gplates View Post
Whats the date of your flight ?
AF345 is a 777-200 until 27OCT, after they fly the 340-300
Not flying this route until December. DL.com clearly stated A340-500, for YUL-CDG and 777-200 for CDG-ATL. But I guess I wouldn't be too surprised if it was wrong.
lotalota is offline  
Old Jul 8, 12, 6:49 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DTW
Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Posts: 7,511
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Look at the seat maps. I suspect that , while their A330 is 2-2-2 in business class, the A340 is one of the horrible 2-3-2 configurations. Business class should never have a middle seat.
C'mon... 747 lower-deck in the back? I'd never sit in it, yet for a family of three, it's awesome.

Already said... basically, for the pax experience, A340 = A330 + 2 engines. Somewhere out there is a darned interesting thread about the construction differences between the two, regarding fuel, capacity, engines, lift, etc.
sbagdon is offline  
Old Jul 8, 12, 7:39 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: DL PM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Posts: 1,868
Last summer I was on an AF A340 from CDG-DTW. It is indeed 2-2-2. I was pleasantly surprised with the seat - I slept comfortably for about 3 hours. Service was wonderful too...
DeltaFan4Now is offline  
Old Jul 8, 12, 4:53 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Posts: 34,158
Originally Posted by will2288 View Post
Correct. OP, I wouldn't worry about the switch, it shouldn't make a difference in your flight quality. I have only flown AF J once and liked it very much (but it was my first J flight, so anything above Y was bound to be amazing).


FYI, unless I am mistaken, AF does not operate the A340-500, and never has.
Right, actually, it operated A340-200/300 aircraft but, there is no A340-500. AF does not have entire A340-500 aircraft.
N830MH is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: