FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Quick Companion Upgrade Question - When Should Y Clear (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1363029-quick-companion-upgrade-question-when-should-y-clear.html)

goodandclassy Jul 3, 2012 8:09 pm

Quick Companion Upgrade Question - When Should Y Clear

Hi all,

I have a somewhat of an oddball situation - traveling on Y to Mexico with a non-status companion. My upgrade cleared and the flight is still X8/Z8.

The companion's upgrade, however, is still yet to clear.

Question: What is the rule for Y-fare upgrades for non-status companions?
The chart on the Rules Page provides somewhat of a limbo - it addresses medallions on Y and elites and companions on B and lower fares. However, it does not list the priority for companions on Y.

Some of the verbiage below makes one believe that the magic window is 'no sooner than' 24 hours (consistent with regular companion upgrade priority) - but shouldn't/wouldn't there be a special treatment for the full fare folks similar to medallions on Y?

Thanks for your thoughts!

mnbp Jul 3, 2012 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by goodandclassy (Post 18866906)
Hi all,

I have a somewhat of an oddball situation - traveling on Y to Mexico with a non-status companion. My upgrade cleared and the flight is still X8/Z8.

The companion's upgrade, however, is still yet to clear.

Question: What is the rule for Y-fare upgrades for non-status companions?
The chart on the Rules Page provides somewhat of a limbo - it addresses medallions on Y and elites and companions on B and lower fares. However, it does not list the priority for companions on Y.

Some of the verbiage below makes one believe that the magic window is 'no sooner than' 24 hours (consistent with regular companion upgrade priority) - but shouldn't/wouldn't there be a special treatment for the full fare folks similar to medallions on Y?

Thanks for your thoughts!

When viewing the companion's reservation on DL.com, does it say "Upgrade Requested"? If not, call DL to get the upgrade request fixed.

mendel k Jul 3, 2012 8:34 pm

Non status companions clear at t-24, it doesn't make a difference that its a y fare

goodandclassy Jul 3, 2012 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp (Post 18866992)
When viewing the companion's reservation on DL.com, does it say "Upgrade Requested"? If not, call DL to get the upgrade request fixed.

it did - so that was done properly

Originally Posted by mendel k (Post 18867011)
Non status companions clear at t-24, it doesn't make a difference that its a y fare

Indeed, no Y exception. Too bad!

Thank you!

mendel k Jul 3, 2012 9:36 pm

Since it wont help with the upgrade, if you don't need it to be a y fare, refund the ticket, buy it again as a lower fare, then link the new ticket to your pnr so he'll get the companion upgrade (if available) and save money, unless it has to be a y fare

FlyerBeek Aug 7, 2013 5:29 pm

The DL Medallion upgrade page still omits mention of when non-Medallion companions booked in full Y class will clear.

Is it really no earlier than within 24hrs of depature? Why is the website ambiguous in this one instance?

-FlyerBeek