Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DL2SXM
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1467479-dl-747-fleet-operation.html
Print Wikipost

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
One of the international planes I flew recently (N171DZ, a reconfigured B763ER) had a Gogo access point on it (i.e. my phone found the GoGo wireless network on the plane). I didn't test it to see if it worked or not.
I believe N194DN (another international 763) did as well, though I was flying JFK-LAX so no way to know if it was the overwater version.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:24 pm

I'm pretty sure thee's a KU satellite dome that requires a much larger hull penetration on the exterior skin compared to the ground based antenna. DL engineering likely has to submit all sorts of paperwork to the FAA. I'm not surprised they are behind.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
What happened to international WiFi?

Had wifi on my PRG-JFK last week when we started to get near to N. America....did not try over the water but will see in a few days
Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Existing discussion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...nal-fleet.html

One of the DL reps recently commented it has not rolled out yet (posted in the above on June 7).

Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
One of the international planes I flew recently (N171DZ, a reconfigured B763ER) had a Gogo access point on it (i.e. my phone found the GoGo wireless network on the plane). I didn't test it to see if it worked or not.
Perhaps Delta has fitted some 763s with the ground-based Gogo system for use on the recently up-gauged TCON routes with BusinessElite.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by ATLSam
Has DL added Wi-Fi to any of its international jets yet? From my understanding DL was to add WiFi first to its int'l 763ER by the beginning of 2013, however, I haven't heard of any progress on that yet.
I'm still waiting for the Thompson Cozy Suites.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Last article I read said Delta expected it's 757 fleet to be refitted in 2015. Didn't say when they'd start.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
I experienced the international internet flying Singapore Airlines on their A380 last month LAX-NRT-SIN. Of course, it was my first time flying SQ Suites so I proceeded to get drunk on Dom and stuff myself like a glutten and didn't really use the inflight internet all that much.

Of course if I had been stuck in coach on that 20hr two leg flight, the inflight internet would have really come in handy!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:42 pm

You know what I LOVE about flying over the ocean? It's an internet free zone.

... or, at least it was. Hopefully, it will remain so expensive that I can easily justify my lack of productivity when flying TATL.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cptlflyer

... or, at least it was. Hopefully, it will remain so expensive that I can easily justify my lack of productivity when flying TATL.
When you're on a red eye, do you really want to work?
It need not be expensive, just slow enough to render it unusable.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
It need not be expensive, just slow enough to render it unusable.
Well, yes, that works just fine, too.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
But when I fly TATL I find myself 8-10 hours behind on my FT reading. I might miss the latest stylings of the Duke of Bombay
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
Originally Posted by bobsmo
Had wifi on my PRG-JFK last week when we started to get near to N. America....did not try over the water but will see in a few days
No wifi on flight back to PRG after leaving N. America airspace.....
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
My 77L for this weekend shows WiFi as an amenity ...

It also shows Overhead Video screens. In business.

Methinks this is just DL IT doing its thing again. Perhaps I should screenshot it and send it into Delta after my wifi-less flight.

Last edited by amolkold; Jun 24, 2013 at 8:35 pm
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by cptlflyer

Ha, good point! Though to be fair, work justifies paying for business vs economy for the "higher" productivity!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.