Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 24, 15, 4:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DL2SXM
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 29, 14, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, United Plat, Amex Plat, Hotels.com Gold, Hertz 5 star, WMATA smartrip card
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Avoid Russian & North Korean airspace. Just avoiding it. Don't go near Russian & North Korean airspace.
Avoid Russian airspace?? How was the pilot on last month's SVO-JFK that I took supposed to do that??
Old May 2, 14, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, DL Amex, Diners, HHonors, United
Well, I did not get a response to my question here, but I did get sort of a response from Gogo. According to them, I "may be successful" in using the monthly pass on international flights for now, but they will eliminate it in the near future. Apparently, they see a new cash cow and will charge accordingly.
Old May 4, 14, 3:43 pm

On DL473 (JFK-NRT), tail number listed as 6307, with Gogo inflight WiFi - sitting in upper deck, 77K.

No issue with logging in using my monthly account.

Aircraft had the markings, but the the captain and flight crew did not know that the system was operational. The captain said that the equipment had been installed, but that it might not be fully operational yet.

Speeds are good, but a little more sluggish than typical Gogo - no surprise given following stats:

Download: 1.32 Mbit/sec
Upload: .02 Mbit/sec
Latency: 878 ms

https://www.v-speed.eu/share/653770/1

So, almost a second of latency, given a couple of bounces off satellites, not too shabby.
Old May 10, 14, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
In about a month I do OKC-ATL-JFK-TLV with the last segment on a 744.

I prepaid GoGo $8 for a 24 hour pass on the "same airline". As this is DL medal and perhaps my 744 will have Wifi working, will that GoGo pass work JFK-TLV in the same way it does now for those with monthly accounts? If so, I may pick up another pass for the return trip.

Last edited by Xeno; May 11, 14 at 9:58 am
Old May 15, 14, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, Hertz Gold, National Executive
International wifi is amazing. I can't believe that Im flying in the middle of the Pacific and I can post on FlyerTalk! Thanks N670US!
Old May 22, 14, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Pathfinder813 View Post
International wifi is amazing. I can't believe that Im flying in the middle of the Pacific and I can post on FlyerTalk! Thanks N670US!
How much for the wifi? I am going to ICN today on N676NW which reportedly has wifi.
Old May 22, 14, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
Originally Posted by DL2SXM View Post
How much for the wifi? I am going to ICN today on N676NW which reportedly has wifi.
NRT LAX was something like $29.99
Old Jun 9, 14, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Well just found out that my Thanksgiving day flight MSP-CDG will be during my 49ers - Seahawks rivalry game. Had a 4 hr layover in MSP that day and was hoping I could catch some of it, but it's going to be the night game so I'll be on the plane.

REALLY crossing my fingers that our A330-200 will have it installed, but I'm not super optimistic.
Old Jun 9, 14, 8:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
I have an upcoming international flight on an A330 as well. Would love to see it working but have not heard where in the upgrade plan those aircraft would be. Seems like strategically, they'd be behind the 747s, and 777s but who knows. Perhaps one of the DL reps could give us an update!?!?
Old Jun 9, 14, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I think it's already begun. Just search this thread for a330. I think Chris had updated that one was already in mods.

Edit:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post22421873
Old Jun 11, 14, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Anyone know if you have a connecting flight prior to intl and purchase a 24hr pass, if it works on the intl portion? Or for the tpac gogo does it let you continue using the pass from your originating flight?

Have a BOS-MSP-NRT coming up that might have the sat service installed, but don't want to end up paying twice.
Old Jun 11, 14, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I asked the same question earlier but no response. Perhaps no DL FTer has tried this just yet.

In any event, I will see what happens next week when I do OKC-ATL-JFK-TLV.

Last edited by Xeno; Jun 12, 14 at 9:15 am
Old Jun 12, 14, 9:00 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, HI Spire, SPG gold, Marriott Gold, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by koreanair720 View Post
Avoid Russian airspace?? How was the pilot on last month's SVO-JFK that I took supposed to do that??
Taxi to HEL, then lift off. N830HM will avoid a panic attack.
Old Jun 12, 14, 9:25 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Anyone know if you have a connecting flight prior to intl and purchase a 24hr pass, if it works on the intl portion? Or for the tpac gogo does it let you continue using the pass from your originating flight?

Have a BOS-MSP-NRT coming up that might have the sat service installed, but don't want to end up paying twice.
I can't answer that directly, but I have a data point that might help.

Last week I was on NRT-LAX. While boarding, I connected to GoGo and they wanted $39.95 for a pass for the flight -- to rich for me. But since we were still on the ground, I went to the GoGo website using my iPad (I had bought an international data package) and purchased an all day pass for $16. Then when in flight, I connected my laptop and signed onto my GoGo account and it asked if I wanted to redeem my pre-purchased pass. I did, and it worked.

So if you buy an all day pass it might work. If it doesn't, you're looking at a more expensive pass on the NRT flight.
Old Jun 12, 14, 9:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA PLT, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
Last week I was on NRT-LAX. While boarding, I connected to GoGo and they wanted $39.95 for a pass for the flight -- to rich for me. But since we were still on the ground, I went to the GoGo website using my iPad (I had bought an international data package) and purchased an all day pass for $16. Then when in flight, I connected my laptop and signed onto my GoGo account and it asked if I wanted to redeem my pre-purchased pass. I did, and it worked.
Shucks, I should have done that. Instead I was a sucker and paid $40 on NRT-LAX.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: