Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 24, 15, 4:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: DL2SXM
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 18, 14, 1:41 pm
  #151  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 34,414
Is that ready? Who is the first? Is that A330-300?
N830MH is offline  
Old Feb 18, 14, 5:47 pm
  #152  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MLB, MCO
Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 1,307
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs View Post
I wish they would do it for domestic 767. I have a couple of JFK-SLC flghts in a couple of weeks. 5 hrs with no WiFi
All of the domestic configured mainline aircraft, including the 767s, have wifi. Delta must be using an international 767 on that route.

In exchange for no wifi, those international aircraft have lie flat seats and free movies on the PTVs. Seems like a good trade off to me.
realjd is offline  
Old Feb 19, 14, 12:48 am
  #153  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CT
Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Posts: 2,026
Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

yes it has lie flat but that does me no good on a 7am flight.
BusTrav8yrs is offline  
Old Feb 19, 14, 11:32 am
  #154  
Used to be 'jwienner'
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NYC/LA
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 248
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs View Post
yes it has lie flat but that does me no good on a 7am flight.
Always cracks me up when FTer's don't understand that there are people who actually travel for business and would trade a lie flat for an EC seat so long as the plane has WiFi.
AirTheory is offline  
Old Feb 19, 14, 12:06 pm
  #155  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MLB, MCO
Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 1,307
Originally Posted by AirTheory View Post
Always cracks me up when FTer's don't understand that there are people who actually travel for business and would trade a lie flat for an EC seat so long as the plane has WiFi.
Hey now. Almost all of my travel is for business yet I rarely use wifi. Some of us business travelers appreciate some unconnected downtime. Personally, I'd rather have a comfortable F seat with no wifi. The email can wait until I land.
realjd is offline  
Old Feb 19, 14, 12:59 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: DL PM MM, WN A-List, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 959
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs View Post
I wish they would do it for domestic 767. I have a couple of JFK-SLC flghts in a couple of weeks. 5 hrs with no WiFi
Delta has wifi on the domestic configured 767s
DLmedalliongold is offline  
Old Feb 19, 14, 3:03 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CT
Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Posts: 2,026
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold View Post
Delta has wifi on the domestic configured 767s
Not on my flight they do not.

DELTA WIFI PASS
Stay connected with Gogo®. Get 24 hours of unlimited Internet on all Wi-Fi equipped Delta Flights. Details.
JFK ► SLC NOT AVAILABLE
SLC ► BOI $14.00(USD)

BOI ► SLC $14.00(USD)

SLC ► JFK NOT AVAILABLE
BusTrav8yrs is offline  
Old Feb 19, 14, 3:22 pm
  #158  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MLB, MCO
Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 1,307
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs View Post
Not on my flight they do not.

DELTA WIFI PASS
Stay connected with Gogo®. Get 24 hours of unlimited Internet on all Wi-Fi equipped Delta Flights. Details.
JFK ► SLC NOT AVAILABLE
SLC ► BOI $14.00(USD)

BOI ► SLC $14.00(USD)

SLC ► JFK NOT AVAILABLE
Like I said before, you're on a domestic flight using an international configured aircraft. Every domestic configured 767 has wifi. There are only a handful of domestic flights that don't have wifi anymore and they're the ones using international aircraft. ATL-LAX flights on the A330 or 777 are the same. It's a small consolation if you need wifi on your flight but DLmedalliongold is correct.
realjd is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 6:20 am
  #159  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN A List
Posts: 1,335
A small point, but if this is so hard one wonders why not just go with the domestic install on the international planes? They are now used for a whole set of important domestic routes. And on flights from ATL, you are over the 48 states for 3+ hours headed for Europe and 4+ hours headed to Asia.

Reception also seems pretty good well beyond US borders, I recently was using Go-go while over Pachuca, Mexico, very close to MEX -- that was unusual but it always works for a distance well south of the border.
Justin026 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 8:06 am
  #160  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Posts: 2,383
Originally Posted by Justin026 View Post
A small point, but if this is so hard one wonders why not just go with the domestic install on the international planes? They are now used for a whole set of important domestic routes. And on flights from ATL, you are over the 48 states for 3+ hours headed for Europe and 4+ hours headed to Asia.

Reception also seems pretty good well beyond US borders, I recently was using Go-go while over Pachuca, Mexico, very close to MEX -- that was unusual but it always works for a distance well south of the border.
The GoGo equipment is quite expensive and not all international planes are used for domestic routes. For this reason alone, it would be rather cost prohibitive. Add in the additional cost of having to install completely different equipment for the international wifi that is supposedly coming online this year and you've got double the cost, double the weight, double the time of the aircraft out of commission for installation, etc. I don't see this being a reasonable option for DL or GoGo.
jsmith50 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 14, 9:24 pm
  #161  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 787
It appears that STCs has been granted by FAA, http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13970_7...ut-next-month/
Dalat767 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 14, 10:39 pm
  #162  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Posts: 2,383
Originally Posted by Dalat767 View Post
It appears that STCs has been granted by FAA, http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13970_7...ut-next-month/
Unfortunate that with the level of interest in this topic that we get more of an update from another website than from the DL reps who have posted in this thread. Figured they would come back and share once better information and a more definitive timeline had been determined.
jsmith50 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 12:54 pm
  #163  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: dl platinum
Posts: 68
Any ideas what birds will be first? Some think 330 I'd like to see 747.
evanr81 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 2:07 pm
  #164  
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by evanr81 View Post
Any ideas what birds will be first? Some think 330 I'd like to see 747.
The 747 fleet is first! Ship 6305 and 6308 are flying and in test mode. I'll be on the acceptance flight from JFK-TLV on 3/3.
Chris_DeltaCustExp is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 2:10 pm
  #165  
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold View Post
Delta has wifi on the domestic configured 767s
All 16 domestic 767-300s are equipped with the Gogo ATG system.

19 of 22 767-300ERs (the 76Z fleet with 26 BE seats) are equipped with Gogo ATG-4. This is an interim solution as we work toward certifying and installing the satellite system across the international fleet.

Last edited by Chris_DeltaCustExp; Feb 25, 14 at 2:13 pm Reason: additional detail
Chris_DeltaCustExp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: