Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Cancels DTW-HKG effective August 30th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Cancels DTW-HKG effective August 30th

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Originally Posted by FWAAA
It's apparent that CX dominates the nonstop market betwen HKG and the USA and that UA is able to make a go of it with its nonstops and that DL is having trouble succeeding in a fairly crowded market. There are certainly worse places than NRT to connect.
Perhaps one of the reasons for this is that CX recently started ORD-HKG non-stops. That flight would certainly appeal to OneWorld flyers who might have opted before for the Delta flight in order to avoid the West Coast connection from AA to CX. Now they have a decent alternative with an arrival time similar to the one DL was offering.

And if CX/AA went out and marketed it heavily to corporate accounts at a discount, as they most probably have done, that would surely take away some of DL's top $$ passengers.

Chalk it up to another battle lost, similar to the MIA-LHR route that DL dropped after they could not grab enough high level fares from AA/BA on that one.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by MAH4546
No, it is not. DTWHKG is permanently discontinued.
I don't believe it. Our schedules are not even close to finalized for next summer so if expect there to be some changes. When schedules are loaded into GDS they may appear to discontinue forever but may reappear as a capacity addition in a few weeks. I hope that is the case with DTWHKG but I'll admit that I don't know 100%....
Old Jun 23, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I heard that this route will go seasonal and the 777 will likely fly somewhere with high offseason demand (like south america since its the peak season down there). Ultra long haul flights are hard to make money on, I can't even imagine how bad they must be in sept/oct
Love your screen name! My wife is from GYE! Sad that we discontinued ATL-GYE in January but happy to have you sporting the GYE name and supporting DL as a DM!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL,BA,KE
I was hoping this route would hang on, but it seemed the past few times there were more than a few empty seats in BE and non-revs and op-ups were in a good portion of the seats. Very glad to see nothing is changing with ICN at least.
As others have mentioned, the arrival time into HKG was great. Connecting to get in late in HKG doesn't seem very desirable although I think the Airport Express runs until 1am. Will have to take a look at CX through ORD I guess.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: Skyteam
I'm glad I tried this route before they cancels it.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
DL was able to push NRT-HKG arrival to past 11 pm just because both NRT and DTW routes use the same aircraft and crew (B777). NRT-HKG-DTW is a 10-hour layover and DTW-HKG-NRT is even longer. Once DTW goes away, I guess they'd have to make NRT-HKG earlier (back to 6 pm/10 pm) to ensure adequate rest with delay margins.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 8:51 pm

I'm guessing BOS-LHR is next.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Where will the aircraft be allocated, JFK/ATL-DOH ?

Maybe LAX-SIN non stop?!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by RMAnalystATL
I don't believe it. Our schedules are not even close to finalized for next summer so if expect there to be some changes. When schedules are loaded into GDS they may appear to discontinue forever but may reappear as a capacity addition in a few weeks. I hope that is the case with DTWHKG but I'll admit that I don't know 100%....
If it's seasonal cut it would have reappear or at least open reservation on/after 22MAR13. Unfortunately this route is not even showing in May 2013.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris
PVG was a horrible idea, it is arguably one of the worst connection airports. While HKG is probably one of the best connection airports in the world. There is also a way larger demand to go to HKG over PVG
PVG was a bitter bidding war with the DOT. But when NW did it they thought they'd have the 787. The calculus was a smaller plane with better CASM, and amenities that would allow for a premium price.

If DL drops it I wonder if it goes up for bid again?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM (not for long)
The chatter on a.net is that DTW-HKG will be replaced by another US gateway with higher yield. The only options are really LAX and SEA.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 5:20 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by discstickers
The chatter on a.net is that DTW-HKG will be replaced by another US gateway with higher yield. The only options are really LAX and SEA.
Or lower cost...any West Coast gateway would be cheaper to operate from than DTW or ATL or JFK, etc.

Ultimately, DTW-HKG is an ultra-long-haul (ULH) route and is very expensive to operate - fuel, crews (requiring four pilots, longer mandatory rest time between trips thus lowering crew productivity, etc.), fuel, fuel, fuel, fuel....in the new fuel environment, all ULHs are under increasing scrutiny and very few will 'make it'...

Originally Posted by TheMoose
Given that UA can seem to support EWR-HKG, SFO-HKG,and ORD-HKG nonstops
UA has traditionally been stronger/bigger in China/Hong Kong than NW (and now DL), just as NW(DL) has traditionally been stronger/bigger in Japan. In addition, just because UA continues to hang on to those nonstops does not mean they are all profitable. In Q1 2012, UA specifically blamed its China/HKG services for its lackluster RASM performance in the Pacific, and cited CX's entrance into ORD-HKG as one of the reasons as well....
Old Jun 24, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Delete....double post
Old Jun 24, 2012, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by zsmith2
As some have mentioned this is just probably a seasonal route cut. I'm sure you'll see it come back next year.
Isn't that what they said about ATL-PVG?

The DTW-HKG death knell was the double bonus SkyMile offer they announced last fall. Never a good sign. Ok, rarely.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by discstickers
If they route a 777 on NRT-HKG, that plane can immediately turn back to the west coast and feed late regional and red-eye flights at that west coast gateway and then turn as a red-eye back to HKG. Then at HKG it would turn back to NRT within a few hours. It's pretty intelligent utilization, probably more suitable for LAX. Or the 77L could do a LAX-HKG-LAX turn somewhere in between ATL/SYD/NRT flights at LAX.

SEA would likely require more conventional daytime flights (which if they have a lot of 777s to burn with long sits at either HKG or SEA, maybe that's not a problem). I believe the 332 would suffer punishing weight restrictions on SEA-HKG that would make that type unsustainable for the route.

I'd say both gateways have their merits and drawbacks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.