Wiki Posts
Search

"Delta friendly" small carry-on

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
"Delta friendly" small carry-on

This is delta-specific because I fly the typical mix of DL craft (regional includes CR7/CR9 as the smallest overhead).

I find that I've gotten good enough at packing light (and densely), that on a typical trip, I can only use about half of a 20" bag with 3 or 4 changes of clothes, etc. I picked up a cheap "carry on tote" style roller bag, which is about 14W, 9xD, and only about 12-13" tall, which was just the right size: I could fit all my stuff, I could roll it around, and it fit in the overhead of a CR7.

It was even small enough that when I was a little late to board a mainline 757, I was easily able to "find some extra space" where a full-length roller wouldn't fit.

unfortunately, it was crap, and the handles broke on my first trip.

Anyone else try to get all their stuff into a CR7/CR9 overhead? Any recommendations on gear?

I have been thinking about this travelpro rolling tote (Crew 8 or Crew 9): http://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Crew...dp/B003H4Q046/

But any other suggestions from this wise bunch?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For a regular roller bag, look for the newer "international" sizes that some of the more expensive lines of luggage are starting to offer. The best of these are lightweight too. You need to check sizes carefully, but they're designed to comply with all the rules of most airlines.

However, there can be a real advantage to having something soft that can be squished into a small or irregular space when it isn't full. I've seen some outdoor type luggage lines that have some stuff of this sort in various sizes that looks well made and sturdy.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
LL Bean Bag

I frequently travel on CRJ's and use this bag for almost every trip:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/51615...ad-travel-pack

It's easy to squeeze into a CRJ overhead bin even when the bag is mostly full. I've found that GA's don't try to gate check the bag because I'm often wearing it as a backpack.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Thanks -- neither of those ideas will work, though

Goals:

a) has wheels/handle (I will already have a backpack that is my everyday computer bag).
b) Fits in overhead on CRJ
c) relatively weatherproof
d) Holds enough for a 3 night trip for a light packer.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I realize that you have already vetoed this, but I use a 'real" backpack.

When packing for a short trip, it can easily fit on any CRJ.

On long international flight, it holds more than some quite large rollars, and the squishness lets it fit in bins that others will not.

Quite reasonable weatherproof, fairly indestructable (well, I guess if I am ever forced to check it ...).
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
I use http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...amera-bag.aspx

It's somewhat idiosyncratic as regular luggage, but quite well-built and sized-right by people who had "make it fit everywhere" as a design priority, and even provide external dimensions including wheels rather than hide them somewhere. As it is designed for camera gear, weather resistance is quite good. The handle design has held up well, but is not the most rigid - briggs for example is more solid for that. The wheel design is about the best I've seen.

If you pack light enough, you can even use some of the excess gear dividers (they all pull out) to segregate clean and dirty clothes.

I also have a 20 in briggs and riley (my wife's bag so I do not normally carry it) that i haven't tried out on CR7/9s.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:59 pm

Best to consider the width of a rolling laptop tote as many are too wide to roll down the aisles. I would like to replace my wide rolling tote, similar to what OP is considering, with the newer 18" upright version, which would roll down the aisles.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:59 pm

I've had similar questions, which is what brought me to flyertalk in the first place. My original post for luggage has some good options:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-opinions.html

As well I had also gotten some good info from:

http://www.1bag1world.com/
http://www.onebag.com/

I had ultimately went with the Briggs & Riley Fuse 20" since I came across it in a luggage store in Vegas at a 15% discount. However, lately I've been really thinking about also picking up the RedOxx.

If you don't need the Laptop option, like I was looking for, the luggage I used to use would work. It was a Samsonite rolling tote I found at Sears. At 14x14x8 it fit in pretty much every except Dash-8s. I don't know the model number of the one I had, and I can't find it Samsonite's website right now. Looks like it was replaced with this one which is slightly larger:

https://www.samsonite.ca/detail/183

Hope this information helps,

PS, the Fuse fits on the CR9s run by whichever one out of Mesba, Pinacle or Comair doesn't valet check bags. (I can never remember which one that is though).
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
I've used this bag for the past few years, and it fits perfectly into the overheads on the (nearly daily) CRJ2/7/900's.

I do occasionally have a GA try to tag it (when it's on wheels, the front "expandable" part looks expanded, so looks like it won't fit, but it slides right in so long as you don't pack it that the expansion is needed...)

Sometimes I tell them it will fit and keep walking. In the event of an insistent one, I let them tag it then simply walk it on board and slide it in. (Bonus - fits under most exit row seats since it's only 17")

http://www.luggagepros.com/ricardo-s...elaboard.shtml
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Ricardo

I've got a Ricardo 17" roller that fits nicely in CR7s and CR9s. About $130. I fly every week and it has held up well for a year. I try to always carry on.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL MM, DL Plat
I've got a small Dash hardside roller bag from Brookstone that fits in the overhead of everything-- even CRJ 100s. my experience has been that most people on a CRJ check planeside, and the overhead bins are generally empty except for a jacket or purse. I love the Dash because I never have to check it. It's small, but I can typically pack for 2-3 days without a problem.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
OP, your requirement for the case to have wheels/handle really make it difficult.

Here is the problem. For the piece to fit in the overhead of the CRJs, it has to be very flat and somewhat narrow. I don't have the measurements,but I'm sure some others can provide that. This eliminate most of the common overnight cases or computer+trip cases (too thick). In my mind, a 17" luggage looks like something a child or very old person would drag around, since the content can be readily be handheld in a couple supermarket plastic shopping bag. Also, many bags/cases this size will be designed/styled for women, so you may not be comfortable using it.

If you look in Chinatown, or some of those mall luggage shops specializing in cheap Chinese made suitcases, handbags, etc., you may find something that fit your size requirements, but you'll run into the same durability problem....

I would go with a duffel bag or backpack and and separate smaller case for your laptop. The key would be: 1 backpack type and 1 shoulder strap type bag, so you are still somewhat mobile.

Shops like Macys, Target, Walmart, TJ Maxx, REI, and even Staples will all have large selections of different bags and luggage for you to try out.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One problem is that to have wheels, the luggage essentially must have a metal frame and this prevents it from being scrunched up to fit smaller spaces.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Here's a suggestion for something a bit obscure. If your travels take you to Europe look for stores of an Italian company called Mandarina Duck; you can also find the brand in some European department stores (e.g., Au Printemps in Paris). One of their less expensive lines, called Isi, is very durable and lightweight; my small wheeled carry-on weighs 4# empty while the larger one --- also carry on size --- weighs 7#. Both their smallest sizes have zip internal pockets that help in compressing rolled up clothing. I have occasionally gotten the larger of my two bags into the bin on a CRJ, but it was tight. The smaller one is a snap for any overhead storage but still a bit too big for under the seat.

Mandarina Duck has a US website but it seems to have fewer offerings now than in the past. The prices are lower in Europe, especially if you go through the hassle of claiming a refund of the VAT.

This is the best luggage I've ever owned. It's worth trying to find it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.