Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Dietary requests in BE - Bring your own meal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dietary requests in BE - Bring your own meal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I have had a few interesting problems with special meal requests. I am deathly allergic to eggs, and I know my limitations well. I fully expect to eat some pretzels, biscoffs, and about 42 minis of booze inflight.

HOWEVER, here's my gripe. Once I was flying JFK-SLC in F. I tried to request a special meal, but no one could confirm the best option for me at the Medallion desk. Therefore, I just opted to see what showed up on the day of the flight. It turns out that the meal could have had egg, but probably not (Cheeseburger was the choice--the bun could have been a problem). I said to the flight attendant that I'd skip the entree and just eat the fruit. I asked if I could have one of the snack packs from coach, since they have ingredient labels, and I was flatly denied unless I wanted to pay. I wrote Delta basically suggesting that including ingredient labels with meals would solve so many food issues for people. They did give the a number for a special disabilities line that could be more helpful and they confirmed a "pure veg" meal is vegan. They also were surprised that a flight attendant would not give me a coach option for free. All in all, no complaints with the way they handled the situation.

Fast forward to last weekend, I flew JFK-SJU round trip. I got the upgrade at the window, so I requested the "pure veg" meal. Well, when the meal arrived, I saw on the salad Feta cheese and a dessert, which I am told was cheesecake. ON A VEGAN MEAL. Now, I am not a vegan, but I was immediately nervous to eat the entree, which was veggies and some sort of black bean patty. How could I be sure that those veggie burgers did not contain egg, since everything indicated this was not a vegan, but rather a vegetarian meal? I had the fruit, and I skipped the rest.

So, I think that food allergies are a serious reality that airlines should address. The easiest way isn't to offer every possible allergen free combo, which is simply unrealistic, but rather supply an accurate list of what is in the food they are serving. I'm certain that it is worse to have a special option and then be served something that is not what it purports to be. Had I eaten the veggie burger things and they turned out to have egg, we would have had an anaphylactic mess.

Just my opinion from a food allergy victim.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the past, I've seen the purser's printout of ingredients in various meals. Are they no longer given this information, which would be useful to have if someone does seem to suffer from an allergic reaction during the flight?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
DL has been much better on special meals lately.

What I have seen is that the local caterer, especially in outlying areas, does not always get things right.

Three years ago I had a vegetarian non-dairy meal show up as a cheese omelet!

However, on recent flights, I have been quite happy with the selections.

And ... my daughter loves that black bean patty!

PM me for a DL contact on menus
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
As a mother of a 15 year old with life threatening food allergies (he's had anaphylaxis twice, first time when only 8 months old from a mere teaspoon of dairy), I can relate to the OP.

We fly often, and the last thing you want is a reaction at 35,000 feet! When we fly to Hawaii in BE even, I used to often bring his food. It's easy enough for us if we know what he can have is available to pick up after security at the airport. Otherwise I bring food from home. It's too risky to assume that they can accommodate a special meal. Sometimes they do have a meal he can eat, sometimes not (like the pasta or chicken option won't work for him, and the vegetarian meals aren't the best in my opinion). On AA once they had a chicken and rice dish in coach that was safe for him, so they found they had an extra and brought it up to first class for him. That was great.

I used to bring his food whenever we went anywhere, so have been used to dealing with this.

I would say to be safe, bring something that is safe to eat. They may have something available, but if not, you have a backup.

We haven't ever gotten ingredient lists from FA's. We know that a plain meat and rice is safe, no dessert ever is unless it's prepackaged with ingredients or plain fruit.

Good luck and stay safe!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by happymommy
As a mother of a 15 year old with life threatening food allergies (he's had anaphylaxis twice, first time when only 8 months old from a mere teaspoon of dairy), I can relate to the OP.

We fly often, and the last thing you want is a reaction at 35,000 feet! When we fly to Hawaii in BE even, I used to often bring his food. It's easy enough for us if we know what he can have is available to pick up after security at the airport. Otherwise I bring food from home. It's too risky to assume that they can accommodate a special meal. Sometimes they do have a meal he can eat, sometimes not (like the pasta or chicken option won't work for him, and the vegetarian meals aren't the best in my opinion). On AA once they had a chicken and rice dish in coach that was safe for him, so they found they had an extra and brought it up to first class for him. That was great.

I used to bring his food whenever we went anywhere, so have been used to dealing with this.

I would say to be safe, bring something that is safe to eat. They may have something available, but if not, you have a backup.

We haven't ever gotten ingredient lists from FA's. We know that a plain meat and rice is safe, no dessert ever is unless it's prepackaged with ingredients or plain fruit.

Good luck and stay safe!
What excellent advice ... my mother is gluten intolerant, even the smallest amount has her laid up in bed with shocking stomach cramps (and the rest) for several days.

Everyone has different reasons for flying in premium cabins, for her it is the space and ability to stretch out -- she recently went out to SFO and back in Virgin Upper Class and whilst she did get a gluten free meal (for someone that is a real foodie) it was about as exciting as watching paint dry.

She has learned to adapt her approach and not rely on the airline and does just fine
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by earlek
she is worth it --- we are in our early 60s, been married for over 38 years, the body does change -- i am sorry you feel that dumping a person or running away from a problem is a solution --- i am sure you meant it as a joke

thanks to the rest of the FT responders --- your genuine concern and suggestions are all appreciated.
Congrats on 38 years Earlek. I do agree with one of the other posters who said that some of the regular meals might be OK, especially if she brings some extras to supplement the meal. I love the cold plate(s) that they offer and I am pretty sure that they pretty much glutton and dairy free. Enjoy those trips... you've picked some of my fav cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.