Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FC Basket full of nothing but Peanuts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I still find the whole basket to be less than adequate. I would never complain to Delta unless I actually paid for first....but if I had paid for a first class seat and was offered peanuts, chips and candy bar----terrible! I realize that for many its upgrade class--but not for all. The in-between meal times snack should at least be something freshly prepared.
This is where I am.

I really can't complain at all as I get upgraded to FC almost all the time on Delta for free compared to pretty much never when I flew American (unless I used those little upgrade points that cost $30 each). So much so, that I've come to expect to be upgraded and I'm only Gold Medallion.

But, the domestic FC experience doesn't seem quite as good on Delta as AA. The basket tends to be so-so. I rarely take anything from it. The seats seem to be a little closer together.

Maybe I'm wrong, though, not like I've measured...

All in all, better than coach regardless.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by oreo2222
As petty as it might seem, I think if Delta has a basket, it should look well presented and stocked up at all times. ... I'm a good customer. I just want to be treated as one ... I like to see a nice basket.
"Food Class Monetization"? just another of the many ways they're looking to pinch pennies ...
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rwoman
Good to hear they tried to 'compensate' for the peanut only flight!
What would have happened if it had been a peanut free flight due to an allergy?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Per DL.com, flights under 250 miles offer only complimentary peanuts, pretzels, or Biscoff in FC.

https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec....../dining.jsp

Anything above and beyond that is a bonus. (Granted, it's a bonus I've seen fairly often.)
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Sometimes there is just a small round basket with only peanuts or pretzels...is that provisioned only on flights with a meal and offered as the aperitif (although 75% of the time, FAs just put your drink on the tray instead of offering the first round, then meal, then refills)?
I don't know about the shape of the basket as I've only noticed the rectangular ones, but peanuts and pretzel things only should be the coach basket, not snacks for FC.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by modulen
I've come to expect to be upgraded and I'm only Gold Medallion.

Just curious..where do you tend to fly? As a GM I see about 50% upgrades or so, maybe less. I often fly to MSP and ATL from LAX, both really tough upgrades, though MSP is better.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Just curious..where do you tend to fly? As a GM I see about 50% upgrades or so, maybe less. I often fly to MSP and ATL from LAX, both really tough upgrades, though MSP is better.
+1

I can count on one hand the lifetime total number of upgrades I've gotten as a GM in ATL... and no, I don't have extra fingers on my hand!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
As long as the drink cart was stocked, lack of snacks on a 226 mile flight wouldn't bother me at all.
Totally agree. Peanuts and a Gin is good - all y'alls
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't know about the shape of the basket as I've only noticed the rectangular ones, but peanuts and pretzel things only should be the coach basket, not snacks for FC.
At some point over the past year or two, Delta dropped the usual full snack basket from flights with cold meal service. (Perhaps the full basket was dropped from flights with hot meal service, too, but I don't travel on > 1,500 mile domestic routes often enough to know.) SkyTeam777 is right: these flights are now catered with a small, round basket containing only peanuts and pretzels. I would think that these small, salty snacks are intended to accompany the pre-meal beverage service, but in my experience the flight attendants usually offer them later in the flight.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jrl22
"Food Class Monetization"? just another of the many ways they're looking to pinch pennies ...
Well played sir! ^

Originally Posted by javabytes
Per DL.com, flights under 250 miles offer only complimentary peanuts, pretzels, or Biscoff in FC.

https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec....../dining.jsp

Anything above and beyond that is a bonus. (Granted, it's a bonus I've seen fairly often.)
Diminishing the "first class experience" just because the flight is shorter might have a logical basis in some cases. But... passing a basket is not going to take appreciably longer just because there are a few more items in the basket to select from. Providing a scaled down FC snack basket on shorter flights is just plain chintzy... especially when they are doing their best to lure people into paying for the "first class experience."

Just another example of DL management wanting to deliver less service/value than they hope people will imagine when selecting their choice of air carrier. Virtual benefits... they only exist in advertising copy.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by oreo2222
As petty as it might seem,
Bingo! It certainly does!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The horror!

Once I had a basket of pretzels, peanuts and Biscoff and I thought that was bad!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I want to know if the lord made a better airplane combo than a gin and tonic and Garden Salsa Sun Chips...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.