Online Volunteer Bump

Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Often1

I can't pin this down, but it's my deep suspicion that DL uses the pre-departure VDB reverse auction as a means of gathering data about what people will accept rather than as an actual auction on a flight-by-flight basis.

In theory, if 95% of people on TCONs say they will take $50, that's what you will see as the VDB offer going forward.
That view is a little cynical but the economic logic does hang, yet I don't hear a lot of variation in the VDB amounts awarded for domestic mainline flights.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, National EE
The interesting thing is I just got the offer at OLCI for Mrs. BeachBum770 and myself for the LAX-ATL red eye tonight, and there are a large number of EC and Y seats available.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by houserulz77
If DL was smart they would reverse the procedure. When you checked in, you would get a message stating, "This flight is oversold. How much more are you willing to pay to keep your seat." Offer options like $10, $25, $50. Then the kettles unaware of IDB rules might bite at the extra cost which could then be used to offset the compensation for those who end up VDB. Heck they could even do this when the flight wasn't oversold; help with those huge targets for extra fee revenue.
Lol, you are an evil, evil person!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Anyone experiences the same thing?
Germans, brah.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1
DL might well give you the earlier flight with no fee, but it's certainly not going to pay VDB before it has to. In other words, you would not be a VDB, you would simply be a fee-free flight change.
+1

Got this yesterday. Fee-free SDC to an earlier flight (only silver so not waived) but not VDB compensation.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Happened to me earlier this month before a FAY-ATL-EWR routing. I put in $200 and by the time I got to FAY the next day, they were no longer oversold
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by DCBob
Are you crazy? Obviously, this tactic is illegal. The law requires the airlines to first seek volunteers and if none can be found, to IDB passengers and pay each a set amount of cash. You can't extort extra money from anyone in lieu of an IDB.
Though obviously house was jesting, this could easily be done legally.

At the kiosk nobody is being IDB'd, so those rules are not yet in place. DL has the right to sell "fly safe". DL has the right to put in place an IDB proceadure that once VDBs are taken, the "fly safes" are last on the list to be IDB'd.

DL, I have a pattent on this. If you want to use it, call me at 1-880-328-7448.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:11 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Germans, brah.
?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:40 am
2mg

No VDB rewards for award travel?

The lounge agent at JFK told me award travel passengers, regardless of status aren't eligible for VDB compensation? I had not heard of this before, does anyone know if this is true? They bumped me up front for my TP flight, so I'm not complaining, but I'd like to know if it is legit.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 2mg
The lounge agent at JFK told me award travel passengers, regardless of status aren't eligible for VDB compensation?
I have successfully VDB'd on DL award travel, but not in the last week. Perhaps there's been a policy change but I'm skeptical.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: DL FO, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by 2mg
The lounge agent at JFK told me award travel passengers, regardless of status aren't eligible for VDB compensation? I had not heard of this before, does anyone know if this is true? They bumped me up front for my TP flight, so I'm not complaining, but I'd like to know if it is legit.
I VDB'd on an award, so it is possible. I was also given an F seat for my trouble :-)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by 2mg
Sky Club agents are prone to erroneous statements...
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:41 am
2mg

Here's hoping...

they still need volunteers when I get to the airport
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by houserulz77
I was being sarcastic. Apologies as I am prone to such posts.
I thought it was funny... No apologies needed because we know if they could get away with it they would.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Sky Club agents are prone to erroneous statements...
Unless that is a new policy it isn't true. I've taken two bumps on award tickets in the past.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.