Delta IFE Commercials...

Old Jun 5, 12, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL EOS...
Delta IFE Commercials...

Tcon (738) today, no new safety video yet but they've added a significant stream of Lincoln, Mazda and other ads before they allow you to view "My Flight" moving map.

Definitely a new tactic - starting to annoy me to the point of perhaps fabricating a blind to stick over the dang thing? Maybe a simple paper thing printed up with my own messaging? Hmm?

Seriously, between all of these various videos it's quite a while before you're given control of the IFE. I just really want the map but now it takes a very long time to bring it up.

Got news for you Delta - 'not buying a car while sitting on your plane! That and the fact that you can't shut the screen off during these presentations (safety video obviously excepted) kinda makes me feel insulted and preyed on? Not sure that's the message to be sending, is it?
Old Jun 5, 12, 10:40 pm

If it makes you feel better, Singapore Airlines last month made me watch ads before each program. And this was in J. That's a 5-star airline.

What I can't handle are the ads that play audio over the general speaker system.
Old Jun 5, 12, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Originally Posted by Ti22 View Post
Tcon (738) today, no new safety video yet but they've added a significant stream of Lincoln, Mazda and other ads before they allow you to view "My Flight" moving map.

Definitely a new tactic - starting to annoy me to the point of perhaps fabricating a blind to stick over the dang thing? Maybe a simple paper thing printed up with my own messaging? Hmm?

Seriously, between all of these various videos it's quite a while before you're given control of the IFE. I just really want the map but now it takes a very long time to bring it up.

Got news for you Delta - 'not buying a car while sitting on your plane! That and the fact that you can't shut the screen off during these presentations (safety video obviously excepted) kinda makes me feel insulted and preyed on? Not sure that's the message to be sending, is it?
I pretty much follow rules most of the time, but because of these ads, I turn on my ipod as soon as wheels are up. I blast it into my ears to drown the sound of this assault on my agency. If there is one thing that will cause me to desert Delta, this is it.
Old Jun 5, 12, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Originally Posted by Ti22 View Post

God forbid you have to look at an ad in order to get to a map that shows you where you are, flying 32,000 feet above the earth at 8-10 times the legal speed limit of our government highways.

In a highly over-advertised world, I'm sorry you haven't acquired the ability to tune the never-ending ads out, yet (like the multiple ads surrounding this flyertalk thread that you happen to be reading at this moment).

Perhaps, we should just take away the map from your flights so you can look out the window and try to guess where you are. (I may or may not work for an airline)
Old Jun 5, 12, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ATL787 View Post
God forbid you have to look at an ad in order to get to a map that shows you where you are, flying 32,000 feet above the earth at 8-10 times the legal speed limit of our government highways.

In a highly over-advertised world, I'm sorry you haven't acquired the ability to tune the never-ending ads out, yet (like the multiple ads surrounding this flyertalk thread that you happen to be reading at this moment).
Amazing what ad blockers and tracking protection on a browser take care of... need to figure out how to employ such technology on planes too.

Perhaps, we should just take away the map from your flights so you can look out the window and try to guess where you are. (I may or may not work for an airline)
Believe it or not, I've actually done that. Fired up Microsoft Streets & Trips on my laptop (dating myself here... do they still make that?), looked out the window for landmarks and recognizeable street/highway patterns and found my location over Iowa, and tracked our flight all the way through Wisconsin, Illinois, and into O'hare.
Old Jun 6, 12, 2:06 am

Programs: AA - EXP
On a JFK-SEA flight last week they apparently decided the volume wasn't loud enough. Halfway through they cranked it up to ear-splitting volume.
Old Jun 6, 12, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL EOS...

Wow, talk about a know-it-all?

Reason for this thread is because this is a new Delta ad tactic. The RA video and now this has me wishing I could just turn the monitor off. I know where I'm going and can live without the moving map but it didn't used to work this way and if it were only one ad - okay, I can accept/understand. But several ads and no mechanism to opt out or turn the monitor off?

At least FT ads have always been here when I've used the site - this captive ad stuff angers me and obviously others feel the same. I'm sure people who work for the airlines imagine we should just shut up and be grateful for the privilege of giving your business our money.

Thank you for playing! Respond if you want, but I won't see it...
Old Jun 6, 12, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Why, yes! Try riding a subway in Beijing or talking a ferry from Hong Kong.

I wish the ads weren't there on Delta's screens - or the 'off' button could kill the ads why preserving the safety briefing - but I can live with it.
Old Jun 6, 12, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Why, yes! Try riding a subway in Beijing or talking a ferry from Hong Kong.
Ahh, the Star Ferry! A true transportation bargain.

I'm afraid IFE ads, another source of revenue, are here to stay. I'm sure they will soon be found on every plane with IFE not just Delta's.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: