FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   GM not upgrade-eligible on award tickets? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1353183-gm-not-upgrade-eligible-award-tickets.html)

dd992emo Jun 4, 12 9:41 pm

GM not upgrade-eligible on award tickets?
 
GM trying to book myself an award ticket LAX-PNS. Checked "I Am Traveling". Checked "Upgrade Requested". Looked at the A320 seat map on the LAX-MEM leg and FC has no seats assigned. Looked at FlightStats for that leg, showing F9/Y9 and a bunch of other 9s.

At DL.com, on the list of available flights for all legs (outgoing and return) they all say "Not Upgrade Eligible", even for aircraft with FC seats.

I know I'm just a dumb retired LDO, but what am I missing? Other than the fact that I'm a lowly GM...

davisew Jun 4, 12 9:45 pm

It's a known dl.com bug. Will show Upgrade Requested on appropriate flights but not until after you book the award.

dd992emo Jun 4, 12 9:52 pm


Originally Posted by davisew (Post 18698614)
It's a known dl.com bug. Will show Upgrade Requested on appropriate flights but not until after you book the award.

Got it. Thanks!

MSPeconomist Jun 5, 12 12:46 am

You're eligible for an upgrade (but not for a companion), but you should understand that your priority will be low: below all but FOs not on full Y fares and companions, although possibly ahead of GMs trying to upgrade pay with miles tickets.

marbles dad Jun 12, 12 10:51 am

where do request for upgrades do award tickets fit in ?
 
to bump this up, i am PM and will be doing lax- msy on an award ticket soon.
it accepted the upgrade request, but where in the pecking order would i be in th upgrade queue since it is an award? i did get seating in economy + , anyone flown on the a -320 recently to experience that.?
i searched the forum and could not find answers to these.

thanks.

dknn Jun 12, 12 10:55 am


Originally Posted by marbles dad (Post 18742998)
to bump this up, i am PM and will be doing lax- msy on an award ticket soon.
it accepted the upgrade request, but where in the pecking order would i be in th upgrade queue since it is an award? i did get seating in economy + , anyone flown on the a -320 recently to experience that.?
i searched the forum and could not find answers to these.

thanks.

Bottom of the list for Platinums but above any Golds below a Y ticket.

MSPeconomist Jun 12, 12 10:56 am

Your priority is after every PM on tickets paid with money and before GMs except those on full Y fares, upgrading with miles, or using a SWU of a DM/PM traveling in FC on the same flight. A Reserve card would bump you ahead of other PMs on award tickets without the card, regardless of when they requested the upgrade. We think you're ahead of PMs on pay with miles tickets, but this is unconfirmed.

azeckel Jun 12, 12 1:52 pm


Originally Posted by marbles dad (Post 18742998)
i did get seating in economy + , anyone flown on the a -320 recently to experience that.?

Don't expect much. Maybe an inch or two of extra space, but no AVOD on this plane. UG chances on A320s generally suck b/c there are only 12F seats. Obviously the main factors will still be your route and day/time, but the Y to F ratio on these planes is not the best.

MSPeconomist Jun 12, 12 1:57 pm


Originally Posted by azeckel (Post 18744163)
Don't expect much. Maybe an inch or two of extra space, but no AVOD on this plane. UG chances on A320s generally suck b/c there are only 12F seats. Obviously the main factors will still be your route and day/time, but the Y to F ratio on these planes is not the best.

"Not the best" is an understatement. The ratio is terrible, especially when these planes are used on elite-heavy business-oriented routes.

Often1 Jun 12, 12 2:03 pm

The F cabin on 320's is actually comfortable & cozy. I do TCON's on them xIAD regularly and like them above 757's.

Medeski Jun 12, 12 3:27 pm


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 18743031)
Your priority is after every PM on tickets paid with money and before GMs except those on full Y fares, upgrading with miles, or using a SWU of a DM/PM traveling in FC on the same flight. A Reserve card would bump you ahead of other PMs on award tickets without the card, regardless of when they requested the upgrade. We think you're ahead of PMs on pay with miles tickets, but this is unconfirmed.

You also need to factor in what level of award redemption you booked since a 50K award is higher in the upgrade priority queue than a 25K award (amongst a single medallion level). As a PM on a low award one still beat all GMs, except as listed above, but would be beaten by a PM on a medium or high award ticket.

MSPeconomist Jun 12, 12 3:34 pm


Originally Posted by Medeski (Post 18744773)
You also need to factor in what level of award redemption you booked since a 50K award is higher in the upgrade priority queue than a 25K award (amongst a single medallion level). As a PM on a low award one still beat all GMs, except as listed above, but would be beaten by a PM on a medium or high award ticket.

Is the low-medium-high award upgrade priority published somewhere? I guess there are different inventory buckets that DL sees, but I would think of 25K versus 32.5K versus 40K miles, etc. for a domestic coach award ticket as being the analogue of paying different amounts of money for tickets in the same fare class. Also, would the 32,500 miles RT be between 25,000 and 40,000 upgrade priority in both directions or would it be considered the same as the 25,000 in one direction and the 40,000 in the other?

Deemus7 Jun 12, 12 5:50 pm


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 18744822)
Is the low-medium-high award upgrade priority published somewhere? I guess there are different inventory buckets that DL sees, but I would think of 25K versus 32.5K versus 40K miles, etc. for a domestic coach award ticket as being the analogue of paying different amounts of money for tickets in the same fare class. Also, would the 32,500 miles RT be between 25,000 and 40,000 upgrade priority in both directions or would it be considered the same as the 25,000 in one direction and the 40,000 in the other?

Don't all coach award tickets pull from the N inventory bucket? I would be STUNNED if Delta's IT could prioritize low/medium/high award tickets within that same fare class on the upgrade list. I'm guessing they would follow the same tiebreakers as if they were purchased in the same revenue fare class:

1) Delta Reserve
2) Time of ticketing

Can anyone else confirm/deny this?

MSPeconomist Jun 12, 12 5:55 pm


Originally Posted by Deemus7 (Post 18745644)
Don't all coach award tickets pull from the N inventory bucket? I would be STUNNED if Delta's IT could prioritize low/medium/high award tickets within that same fare class on the upgrade list. I'm guessing they would follow the same tiebreakers as if they were purchased in the same revenue fare class:

1) Delta Reserve
2) Time of ticketing

Can anyone else confirm/deny this?

Yes, we see N fare class and maybe this is all the GA, for instance, can see, but behind the scenes DL's revenue management must be looking at three subclasses to specify how many award seats they have at low/medium/high. There are cases where booking two award tickets on the same flight comes back as medium but asking for only one gets you low. So there must be NL1, NM3, NH6 or something that we don't see. I don't know how this could be done without separate inventory buckets.

marbles dad Jun 12, 12 6:11 pm

thanks for all the discussion.
on a 32,500 award , we were both upgraded on the return not the outbound yet. i guess no one gets up early in MSY!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:00 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.