Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why no FC/SkyPriority security lanes at MCO?

Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver

With MCO being my home base, I've noticed over the last couple years the lack of a SkyPriority or FC security line. Maybe I'm just missing it and it's hidden somewhere, but even the Delta website isn't showing one at MCO:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...rity/index.jsp

How do cities like ABQ, BUF, RSW,...Jackson, MS?! have one, but a busy airport like MCO does not? Are there any plans on changing this in the near future?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: DL Kettel, WN Companion Pass
MCO does have TSA Pre-Check; I hadn't encountered that before I flew to CUN last weekend and it looked like people going through that line were moving a lot quicker; perhaps you can use that? I hadn't encountered it before so wasn't sure if I could use it but after the fact it looks like I probably could have since Delta would have had all of our passport info, etc.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by pdisme
MCO does have TSA Pre-Check; I hadn't encountered that before I flew to CUN last weekend and it looked like people going through that line were moving a lot quicker; perhaps you can use that? I hadn't encountered it before so wasn't sure if I could use it but after the fact it looks like I probably could have since Delta would have had all of our passport info, etc.
But TSA Pre-Check basically requires an invite, correct? I did see the Pre-check lane, went there during my last trip and the TSA agent let me know that I need to be in the regular lanes.

Which in MCO is terrible during certain times of the day. And I really don't get the point of "Expert Traveler Lanes" at MCO, which aren't really enforced. Since where did 5 year olds turn into Expert Travelers?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:16 am

Delta and other airlines at the airport have specifically asked for Priority Lanes for their frequent fliers, but have been denied by the airport authority in Orlando countless times. I can only guess this is because they feel that it would have a negative affect on the overall general flying population due to Orlando's clientele (non-frequent flier leisure flyers) and thus back up lines even more.

As somebody mentioned, there is a TSA pre-check, which is essentially a Priority lane, assuming you are a gold medallion or up.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Pre-Check is a random selection if you are invited into the program. My understanding is that DL has placed all DMs on the list. I've gotten "selected" about 90% of my opportunities. Quite lovely.

As for MCO...I thought they did have a first class / elite line there. But, quite honestly, their security lines are such a mess and so full of tourists that I'm not sure it ever got them or us anywhere. It's one of my least favorite airports to negotiate.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Pre-Check is a random selection if you are invited into the program. My understanding is that DL has placed all DMs on the list. I've gotten "selected" about 90% of my opportunities. Quite lovely.

As for MCO...I thought they did have a first class / elite line there. But, quite honestly, their security lines are such a mess and so full of tourists that I'm not sure it ever got them or us anywhere. It's one of my least favorite airports to negotiate.
No, there has never been a first class/elite line at MCO and with it being my home airport, I see it a couple times a month at least and keep wondering why they don't at least have SkyPriority security lines.

I have GE, am a GM but have not been selected yet. I've received an e-mail for the TSA-Pre program from Delta, but still have not been selected.

If the reason is because the aviation authority here feels it will have a negative effect on the overall general flying population, that's absurd. There are lots of airports in the U.S. that are tourist destinations and have this. Jackson, MS???? OK look, I'm sure that Jackson, MS is a lovely city and all...but you cannot be telling me that there are a larger number of elite flyers in Jackson, than in Orlando. I could be wrong on that...but I'm pretty sure.

I was surprised to see how Cleveland, being a United "hub" and all, had SkyPriority/FC security lanes...enter the lane, and out by the gate within 5 mins max.

MCO? Nah, stay in the Expert Traveler Lane where I've had the pleasure of spending 30 minutes there behind families with little kids. When asking a TSA agent just walking around why there are kids in this lane I was informed "Sir, if you are an expert traveler you are in the right lane. If that family feels they can be in this lane, then they can be in this lane." Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Kettel, WN Companion Pass
Ah, yep I didn't realize it was by invite; the TSA website confirms the participating airlines have to invite you.

MCO definitely left me wishing there had been a TPA-CUN direct flight; we drove out there to fly direct, the parking was expensive and 15 minutes from the terminal and security was pretty slow even for a Saturday. Glad I didn't jump to the pre-check line now that I know we weren't eligible lol.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by stylo4444
If the reason is because the aviation authority here feels it will have a negative effect on the overall general flying population, that's absurd.
Take it up with the airport authority. Tell them you're thinking of moving to Cleveland, because CLE operates priority lanes.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Originally Posted by pdisme
Just used the TSA Pre Clear lane on Tuesday, was there with a group from work, it was great because I went through the line, was selected, went through security and was in the club 30 minutes before the other 2 who had to go through normal security.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Take it up with the airport authority. Tell them you're thinking of moving to Cleveland, because CLE operates priority lanes.
I enjoyed that sarcastic bit there.

I'd just like to know how having something like priority lanes is supposed to have a negative affect on the overall general flying population in Orlando. Is it going to reduce travelers? Have them feel out of place because they choose to fly Southwest, AirTran, or JetBlue which are MCO hubs?

DL has a good number of flights from MCO, including non-stops to LAX, SLC, MSP, DTW, MEM, NYC area, BOS, etc and flights almost every hour to ATL.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: DL DM PM
I've never received an invitation or done anything to cause me to become pre-cleared or whatever the term is, but yesterday at DCA, I was told by the TSA guy checking licenses that I should have gone to the TSA pre-clear line. If I had, would I have been able to keep my shoes on and laptop in?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta PL, Marriottt PL, Hilton GD
How about PBI no Sky Priority or Pre Check
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
I've never received an invitation or done anything to cause me to become pre-cleared or whatever the term is, but yesterday at DCA, I was told by the TSA guy checking licenses that I should have gone to the TSA pre-clear line. If I had, would I have been able to keep my shoes on and laptop in?
Yes, under the TSA-Pre program you can keep your laptop in your bag, along with small liquids, keep your shoes on, keep your belt on etc.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
The Pre-Check line on the Delta side at MCO is wonderful. Very few folks are using it, never a line.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by stylo4444
With MCO being my home base, I've noticed over the last couple years the lack of a SkyPriority or FC security line. Maybe I'm just missing it and it's hidden somewhere, but even the Delta website isn't showing one at MCO:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...rity/index.jsp

How do cities like ABQ, BUF, RSW,...Jackson, MS?! have one, but a busy airport like MCO does not? Are there any plans on changing this in the near future?
Everyone is priority in MCO! Mickey Mouse seekers receive top priority, therefore no sky priority line is needed.

Anyways, I have to say I hate MCO. MCO is the only airport where I can compare it to an Airport in Asia. Nothing but long lines and disorganized staff. Kind of like flying out of the Kalibo Airport in the Philippines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.